More Flathead catfish in september

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have caught 9 flatheads in the last 2 weekends, ranging from 2 pounds to 23 pouinds with 4 of them being over 15 pounds. This has been done both on the Des Moines and on a few different spots on the Raccoon. It has been by far the best couple of weeks I have had in a long time. I am really pleased with the way september has been but it just makes me realize how slow the rest of the summer has been for flats. Hopefully the rest of the fall will continue this way. Has anyone else had better luck with the flats since the water temp has started to drop.

2. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    they have just started around here to.i have caught 3 in the last couple afternoons right at dark.i caught a 27 and 19 pounder sat and a 13 on sunday.

3. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey
    Good job you guys.
    Wife and I are going out tonight with another boat and couple. Hope we can have as good of luck as u
    Tight lines
    Danny J

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    congrats on the catches.im going this afternoon if rain holds off.taking my boat out on mississippi here in missouri.hope there bitin.

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Still waiting on my first one ,but glad it's turning on for ya .

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on your catches guys. I have'nt been on the water in month! Outside of work, kids band practice, and jiu jitsu classes, I dont have any time at all for anything right now. I actually have to plan my fishing days/nights now:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: !

7. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Congrats on you catch on the flatheads.

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Sounds like they've really turned on up there for you, sure wish they'd start here. Been the slowest year for flatheads I've ever experienced I believe. This spring was fair but not outstanding but since the end of June they have seemed to vanish. Caught about a five pounder a couple weeks ago , nothing since . Anyway, congratulations .

9. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I am glad to hear that the bite is coming on up north, maybe were going to see a turn around here.

10. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    ok Todd the honey dew list is done when we hitting it ?

11. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hit the river sunday morning and caught my frist flatheads trolling. one went 11 pounds the other went 7 pounds both on fresh shad heads. the water temp was 59 degrees so i think they are starting there winter feed. should get better in the weeks to come.

clayton

12. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i had a buddy catch two sunday a 13.5lb and a 21.5lb shovel

13. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    forgive me fellas, last sunday was last time on the water. we couldnt find shad for bait on the miss that morning, ended up using the beloved stink bait. and stayed busy all the time we were out... hadnt done that in a long while (just stink bait) always fun, but kind of like fishin for bluegills after catchin a big catfish... or kind of like ugly women. Fun, but you wouldnt want some of your buddies to see you.

ended up with 22 fish (6 were about 6 inches) the 16 weighed 31# with a big of 5.8#. so not too bad for about 5 hours.

14. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    oops quick Q. in the fall on the miss, if i am gonna target some flats (something i have never done, ) should i hit holes or what type of water will hold them that time of year when they supposedly put the feed on?