More effective 9mm.

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by bootshowl, Apr 2, 2008.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Saw a snip-it in my gun magazine couple months ago. Federal has developed a Limited Penetration FMJ, 124gr. round for the boys & girls of our armed forces that evidently really works & will replace the nato ball round. Cool.
    But when can we try some? And also I expect a load of FMJ to hit the shops soon as everyone plays out with the old, and in with the new. This new round is FMJ, no hollow point; but expands/flattens on impact to bout .5". It's already in a far away theater near to our hearts.
    Someone holler when ya see some somewhere. I called my shops and they went "Huh?"
    :big_smile:

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's been out for almost 10 years already. A large police agency, (I believe it was Detroit) had a city policy that banned hollow point ammunition. Federal (I think) came out with an expanding FMJ so they could have the FMJ to stay within policy, but still have an expanding projectile.

It's got a full metal jacket, but the front part of the core behind the tip is a plug of silicone and the back half is lead. The jacket has flutes punched in to it so it will colapse, flatening out and stopping against the front of the lead core. We tested it in ballistic jelletin and it worked great, but not sure how it will perform going through barriers. They stated that it was not intended to be better than hollow points, just a compromise. The other advantage is it feeds and cycles like fmj ammo so if you've got a gun that's finiky with hollow points, then it should feed better.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks Vince. The EFMJ, expanding full metal jacket, was mentioned in the article, designed by Tom Burczynski who gave us the hydro-shok, and the quik-shot. The new round does away with the silicone, and instead uses barium sulfate, to make it radio opaque, so surgeons can save life from embolism should a piece break off, falling in line with military thinking. I'm hoping as mass production starts, and the field reports come in these will be affordable, and also available for us.
    :wink:

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks a bunch Boots. I hadn't had an update on the inner workings of the bullet since we tested it. I do wonder why all the worry about a little silicone in the body as apposed to a bullet ripping through!LOL.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I found them at outdoorsuperstore.com They're a 105grain expanding full metal jacket bullet for 25.95 a box. It doesn't say if it's 20, 25, or 50 round box though. I would imagine it's for 50. The batch I tested though shot really well. I shot for group out of my match Nowlin 1911 at the time and was getting a little less than two inch groups at 50 yards with it. Not sure if they've changed anything other than the inside of the bullet or not. With accuracy like that though, it's way more than what you need for actual combat.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Even after it's all said and done, I still say that the most effective 9mm is a 45!!!!!!!!

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    These are some interest rounds for sure. I'll stick with either 115 or 124 grain JHP's. Just more piece of mind that they will expand.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good choice, I'll only carry on duty what's proven. I don't want to be the guinie pig!