More California crapola

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Aug 19, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I was just looking under ca. gov. checking on live bait use at Mendota, and found this item regarding in-stream mining... Dosent effect me, but buddy "vinnie" will be effected... more of CA way of screwing the public.

August 6, 2009 All California instream suction dredge mining has been suspended following the Governor’s signature on a new state law. The ban will be in effect until the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) completes a court-ordered environmental review of its permitting program, expected in late summer 2011.

for more info...

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news09/2009080601.asp

Are we having fun in California?

Bayrunner Ray

2. gilmafam

State:
    California
    And to add to this, have you seen the signs on I-5 about the "congress created dust bowl?

More crapola by the legislators in the Fed. government.

Delta pumps shut down
    Early in 2009, the Bureau of Reclamation, for the first time in the history of the CVP, projected zero water allocations for agricultural water service contractors on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley. Despite adjustments to provide token water deliveries, no meaningful relief has come. As a consequence, as much as 500,000 acres will be forced out of production and, according to a recent forecast by economists at the University of California, Davis, more than 40,000 farm workers will lose their jobs. Moreover, these job losses will occur in poor, rural communities, such as the City of Mendota, which already has unemployment rates in excess of 40%, and these communities are the least capable of reacting to this economic devastation.
    Despite these harsh realities, we see no assistance from the state or federal government. Without action, the situation in the San Joaquin Valley will evolve from one of desperation to one of chaos.
    Source: http://nunes.house.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=350eb49e-b0d0-fc95-f8bb-37ee86400e38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twd59PrqCNg

http://www.povertyandhunger.org/CongressCreatedDustBowl.html

Again, are we really having fun here in CA?

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yup.... Some stupid people up there:angry: They need to turn on the pumps! Let us eat!

4. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Yeah, it's pretty sad Ray. These poor people don't have jobs and can't feed their families. From a distance people seem to have that "yeah whatever" attitude. It is different when you live 30 minutes away from the place and you see it in front of your face. Everytime I go to Mendota I see a bunch of people just hangin out on the streets. I even notice a lot more people picking up cans and bottles at the slough. They may be low income and low-educated people(for the most part), but they should still have the opportunity to provide for their families. Not to mention the valley is the #1 produce supplier in the world. You are not just effecting the valley, but on a larger scale people across the world. But then again, why would a suit and tie give a f@*! All this over f@!*n smelt???????? They need to figure something out and stop p@!!yfootin around the issue.

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I think that it stinks... I saw a bunch of folks riding horses a month back... along the side of the road by three rocks... bet it was regarding the loss of jobs.... simple solution... bring back the water....Blow the smelt...:angry:

Ray

6. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    SAVE THE SMELT
    for bait...

7. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    paul rodriguez (the comedian) was interviewed by shawn hannity, and i think they were filming on location from paul rodriguez's family farm. from what i understand, the water has been shut off due to an endangered minnow. apparently the pumps that bring water into the field were killing the minnows.

good lord, talk about government out of control. they don't know how to solve the problems that they create, so they end up spending their time crushing the common man. but of course, the government of california will not let itself be held responsible for this . . . somehow i am sure it is all due to those 'rich people' that we so often hear about.

seriously, if these minnows are so darned important, why not start farming them like trout? if they aren't, just let them die off to whatever level they will settle at. seriously, i doubt these pumps are anything new, and if that is the case, how are these minnows still around (after decades of pump usage) if these pumps are so dangerous?

your government at work fellas, too bad they are yet to realize that their 'job' isn't to make the common man's life more miserable.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I just can't imagine what kind of thinking went into the decision. Is it impossible to erect a siev, or filter screen to keep the smelt out of the pumps? Last I heard it was due to taking too much water out of where ever it was coming from.

The CA valley grows an awful lot of food, I guess energy shortages are one thing, but food shortages are real energy. All them folks outa work, and a lot more not gonna be able to eat. Cost will go up, those who cause this type of thing will not be affected.

I do recall someone in gov advising us to have our own emergency supplies of food and water. I will second that, not real impressed by the last gov management of a hurricane. Well, I figure the pres will tell CA its their problem, not a Fed problem, and anyway the pres has his own garden.

9. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    food grows where water flows

10. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    They(CA and govt) are in a 2 week process right now trying to come up with a solution, which I doubt they will. And by the time they do, it may be too little too late. These people need jobs now, not next year or the year after. When I was younger I worked in the fields just for a little extra cash. It's not fun nor easy, and they don't pay much. But when you don't have anything a little goes a long way. But to all the "suits" it's pretty much out of sight, out of mind. Damn Ray, you started up some s@*! again, I like it.:wink:

11. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    even if the water is turned on, one has to ask . . . are all the trees dead? if all of the almond trees, etc haven't been watered in months, wouldn't they be dead by now?

what a f'ing mess. i am not trying to get political, but seriously folks . . . see what happens when the government has control of anything? i am not saying this as a republican or democrat . . . both parties don't give a damn about the common man because we don't have the cash to put in their pocket.

it scares the hell out of me to think how many industries are being 'managed' by the government, especially health care. i really hope that the people of california start voicing their opinion about how this minnow isn't worth destroying thousands of familys in the central valley.

anyone know if there is a website that is voicing these farmers opinions?

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey.... "this is cool" got the "deep south", the "southern part" and the "central partO of the state talking on this...

Now if the boys from up north can chime in on that we might have this state wide....

Like the sign says....

"Where water flows,
    food grows..".

and that means jobs and food for everyone...

Bayrunner Ray

13. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Maybe if the smelt all die off then the bigger fish will have to start eating up all the baby bass. Then we wouldn't have to contend with all the bass fishermen.:smile2:

14. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I would think a lot of folks who live on or near the delta may be in favor of saving the smelt and delta water. But if they really saw the effects this "no-pumping" of delta water to the westside farmers and their families is having on them, they may think differently about it. The ultimate solution would be to figure out a way to get the water down here without damaging the smelt populations, but I'd rather save families than fish.

15. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i'm a proud american and the way this country was founded we should have faith and trust in our government and leaders to do what is best for the common good and the families of this nation,rich or poor.
    well i neither trust or have faith that our gov will do anything with the working class,blue collar man and family in mind.
    this minnow thing in the delta just proves the point.too much bs ,not enough logical solutions
    every issue ends up in a clustr f of politicians bickering and wasting our tax money while nothin gets done,i could go on n on and get fired up but there's a place for that
    my heart goes out to the working families who are affected by this, but i have FAITH the politicians don't give a dam about them,too bad:sad2:
    ps i bass fish sean:angry:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  16. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    ps i bass fish sean:angry:[/QUOTE]
    OOOPS!!!!:smile2:

17. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    Ok fellows it my turn to throw some sXXt into the mix. #1 Another canal will not solve anything because if you do not have the rain run off all you have is a dry canal which will cost a pile of everyones money. #2 The Los Angeles Baisin needs to do the following things to curb water usage Stop building fountains,no more golf courses and Ponds, no more Swimming Pools No new development in dry mountain ranges that have very little water to use. #3 Stop the waste of water going down the city street gutters from over watering the landscapes,Golf courses over sprays of water from fountains, washing cars without a spray nozzel on the hose. Now things they need to do on all coastal citys inland for 10 miles DESALTERS, DESALTERS, DESTALERS. NO MORE HOUSES OVER 2000 - 3000 SQ FT WATER FREE LANDSCAPES LIKE ARIZONA. If this happens then they will have a better grip on the water situation. From Bakerfield to the Sacremento Valley we already have a ban on fire places why not a ban on the above mentioned.
    Now there is a lot of people in the southland who already conserve but most do not give a Rats A$$ about rationing. Just think if you stopped the water in Pools and Fountains how much water you would save for AG.in the Central Valley and the Sacramento Valley! I suggest that you go and look at the intakes and see how much fish are sucked into the pumps! Bass,Striped Bass,Catfish,etc.etc. then taken to a dump. I heard that it's some where in the neighborhood of 3-5 Truck loads a day since the Screens have been put in place to curb the fish from going with the water into the pumps. Since the screens have been put in the Striped Bass population has dropped as San Luis tremendously! Back 15-20 years ago we had lots of stripers in San Luis Res. and the population has dropped way way off. If they do not contuniue to run more water through the Delta the Asqugga Musscels and Mitten Crab will take over and also move through the complete tributary ruining every fishing water through out Ca. Think about this idea. We canbuild a pipe line to run oil from Prudhoe Bay Alaska to Valdez Alaska then why can't we build a pipe line from the Columbia River to California. People do not stop to think where San Francisco gets their water from. They get it via a pipe line from Hetchy Hetchy in Yosemite Valley. The elected officals in the Calif. Legislature need to get their head out of their A$$ and do some thing to solve this problem now!
    Fish04
    Don

18. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    Oh and one more thing do not feel sorry for the corporate farmers on the Westside but my feelings go out to the family farmers for sure. In the late 1940's early 1950's the Friant Dam was built illegally causing great water flowing to the ocean to stop which caused the Salmon to disappear along with several other species too such as Catfish and Bass etc. A Federal Judge has signes a executive order to restore the mighty San Joaquin River to it's natural flows. SJ. Water has been diverted for years at the expense of the California tax payer. If you drive down highway 152 west you can see the DRY SJ. which is blocked off approxmately 3 miles to the south of 152. Its diverted to the High Line Canal along with being blocked off so you can't fish it! Now how Sweet It Is you paying taxes and can't use it to fish.
    Fish04
    Don

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just another kick in the teeth to the American farmer.
    It costs alot of money to farm. Equipment fuel seed, and fertilizer is out the roof. Then you have labor.
    Weather is a huge factor.

Farmers put their neck on the line year after year.

How much you think farmers will lose this year on what they have planted?
    Fruit trees? They don't grow over night.

California politicians are determined to run everybody out of California.
    They fail to realize the more that leaves the less tax revenue.

20. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    don i am trying not to blast on your anti-southern california perspective, so i will just say this.

1) why the focus on LA? i am pretty sure there are a ton of pools and fountains in the central valley, bay area, etc.

2) as much as i like fishing, fishing is not as important as the farmer. that being said, there has to be a common sense solution that is better than just shutting the pumps off

3) the policy of 'turn off the pumps' has nothing to do with saving the fish, as much as it does screwing the common man in the name of the environment. if that wasn't true, a different solution would have been found.

4) hate to tell you, but a lot of the water that southern california gets is from the owens valley, local rainfall, wells and the colorado river. if you think you can blame this all on LA and southern california, i think you need to sing a new song.

assumption:
    your post sounds alot like "us northern cali folks have a right to take this water because we are closer to it." funny thing is, in my book . . . that rain and snow didn't fall in your county either, therefore what makes northern cali folks more just in using it?

remember, we all live in the same state. if you want to act like we don't, i suggest you get the state senate and assembly to vote on splitting the state. until then, you have to accept that your logic just doesn't fly

i am doing my best to stay polite, but if you could kindly put your environmental wako views where the sun don't shine, i am pretty sure a majority of people in california would be very pleased. even in a state as liberal as this, the voting public is getting tired of hearing that a bug, rat or other varment is more important than a human. i am so tired of political extremist.

are you that blind to see that your viewpoints are ruining peoples lives?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009