More braid tips

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Bill in SC, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The purpose of this post is to relay my findings about braid to folks here on the BOC. I hope that they can utilize this information, to get the fullest, most cost effectiveness out of there braid. I have learned a lot about braided line, having used it for nearly three years now. Though expensive initially, it is far less expensive in the long run as it lasts SEVERAL years on a reel with no noticeable weakness. It casts like a dream, and untangles much better than monofilament. It has no stretch or memory. Here's where my own education started, and the results of it. Braided line is slick, and has to be backed by something on a reel to keep it from spinning around with no resistance, thus spooling your reel. There are two ways to approach this. One way is simply to put a piece of tape on your spool, and then fill your whole spool with braid. Another way is to spool up part of your spool with monofilament as a backing for the braid, and then tie the braid to it and fill the spool. With braid being expensive, I made my first mistake. I filled my reels 1/3 to half way up with mono as a backing, and then filled my spools up with the braid. Worked GREAT! However through the last couple of years, I have had break offs and reties that have gradually shortened my braid. Now, when I cast those rods, I am getting down to where I can see the mono backing. NOT good. I even cast one and it went past the braid to the mono and the line separated when it left the rod tip. Lesson learned: Use a piece of tape on the spool and fill your FULL SPOOL with braid. Otherwise you are going to end up wasting a lot of braid. I am going to have to re-spool two or three reels that have perfectly good braid on them, but just not long enough to fish with due to the mono backing being not far down on the spool. Having gotten this important aspect out of the way, lets move on to my next lesson. What length of spools of braid do you buy? Well, the mathematics for your particular test line, in relation to it's diameter in monofiliment equivalency, will determine what length spools to buy. For instance the Abu Garcia 6000/6500 series reels hold 245 yards of 14 pound test line (mono). My 100 test line Power Pro is the equivalent to 20 pound mono. So, I can get approximately 200 yards of 100# braid on my spool. Again, you'll have to do the math to see how much braid with YOUR test capacity, that you can spool up on your reel. Better still, and here was my next lesson, buy a LINE COUNTER! Afix it to your rod and see EXACTLY how much line you are putting on your reel. So, I can put 200 yards of 100# braid on my reel. Braid comes in different spool lengths. The first is 150 yards. Wortheless to me as it won't fill my spool. The next size is 300 yards. Worthless to me as it will only do a spool and a half. After spooling one reel, what would I do with 100 yards of high priced braid? Next size spools are 500 yards. Again, worthless to me. That would fill two and a half of my reels. Again, I'd have a 100 yard piece of EXPENSIVE braid left. My option for the 100# test braid that I use, is to buy the 1500 yard spools. That way, I can fill seven of my reels. I will still have the 100 yards left, but I will have to put it on a 5500 series reel. Of course, when you get a line counter and see how much line you are using in your particular test diameter, you may find that the 150,300, or 500 yard spools will work out for you perfectly. One last braid tip. If you have your reel fully spooled with braid and the color is faded and the braid appears somewhat "worn" after a couple of years, you simply strip off all the line, and put it back on the reel in reverse of the way it came off. That way the old stuff is at the center of the spool, and you have fresh braid to use again for another couple of years. Use different colors of braid when fishing multiple rods as that makes untangling a snap!
    Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks bill!! but you dont have to untangle multiple lines if you dotn catch fish and backlash every other throw..thats what i do...no tangles between poles:wink:

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just started using braid this year on a couple rigs. I use BBG 30# mono on my other poles. Lot of choices out there when it comes to line, and I wasn't sure which way to go on my first spool of braid. Team Catfish launched their new braided line, so I went with them since they were cutting a sweet deal for us at the BOC when they launched their new line. I got te biggest spool they had at the time.

I used black tape to cover the reel spool before I put it on. I did 1 pole first went fishing, I was surprised how thin the braid is compared to half the lb rating of mono. Only thing I should done is wrapped my line tighter on the spool. Lesson learned, on to reel #2. This one was a Abu 6500 c5 mag. I spooled that one up with the braid and noticed that my c5 mag has a metal level wind, where the first reel my Abu bcx has a plastic level wind mechanizm. Im hoping that the braid doesn't chew into that plastic piece that they use for the level wind.. Anybody have any input on that?

Good post Bill.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill thanks for a very informative post. This should help many braid users.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Not sure about the plastic level wind device.

BB in SC

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    On the "plastic" levelwind,, I don't know what reel you have,, but ,,,,any reel worth owning, usually has some sort of insert to handle the line as it passed through,, If it doesn';t, throw it away and buy a catfishing reel...

Otherwise,, Thanks Bill on a great post,,, I'm not a fan of Braid, but, it sounds like a good way to maximize the use of braid,, and,, actually most other fishing line!!

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    He said it was an Abu BCX model. When you come here to fish, Greg, I WILL make a believer out of you on the braid! :wink::smile2:

BB in SC

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    good idea on the alternating colors. It would help in untangling the drifting rigs at times.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Bill, I can honestly say,,, A trip to fish some of that Famous Catfish Water,, would be the trip of a lifetime ,,,,
    and, looking at the possibility of doing just that, when timely!!!
    But, you have your WORK cut out for you on convincing me of using braid again!!!!!:wink:
    I will however, provide you with a SHARP knife for the next time your hung up!!!LOL:smile2:
    OMG, those poor reels deserve better!!
    and, again,, Great post on the use of braid,, as, I know there's a lot of folks using it.

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I odnt tangle much but thats a great ideausing different colors!!!

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Heed these words of wisdom boys! Bill's got it down to a science. I'll testify to that fact.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I rarely tangle either. Staggering the lines usually prevents this. However, there's always the occasional gar or wild fighting blue that might go sideways through all the lines and get them tangled. When this does happen, it's much easier to get the lines untangled, using different colored lines. I am currently using red, yellow and green line.

BB in SC

13. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Nice post Bill, thanks for the info.

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Bill sure convinced me that in SC rivers there is no other fishing line to use but 100lb PP(I ALSO LIKE 65LB).I have found numerous advantages
    to using it over mono.When bank fishing like I do,sometimes a 10lb Blue can get you hung up if you cant lock him down and stop him before he makes the brush along the bank.PP ended this problem for me.It casts twice as far....yes it really does.With a flouro leader of good strength you wont lose big fish,but will save your expensive line when you do get snagged.When fishing the river from the bank,sometimes the spot where the fish are is along the bank where the trees are thick with a narrow spot to cast thru.My new spinning reels with the PP have handled this problem with a side arm cast with ease.I could go on and on,but it really is better atleast for me here in SC.I WONT EVER GO BACK TO MONO...PERIOD.

15. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    You guys should try using that Gorilla duct tape instead of the electrical tape.Its not as slick as the electrical tape.

16. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Thanks for the tips.
    About a week ago (before I read this) I decided to respool one of my big reels with 50lb PP instead of 80lb. I thought to myself that I should have saved it to reverse it on another reel when the time comes. But by that time it was all tangled and I had nothing to spool it on. So these are my questions.

What could I use to spool it onto to save it for another reel when needed? Don't have any empty spools.

What do you use to strip your line? I do it by hand.

Thanks in advance.

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i posted this awhile ago but this is what i use to strip my reels. i took a water bottle cap and drilled it and ran 1/4x 1 inch nut and bolt through it. since this is a standard size cap it'll fit any bottle. next thread the cap on a bottle and place the bolt in a power drill tie your line to the bottle and run the drill now your reel is stripped and the line is ready for whatever you want to do put it on another reel store it by putting a piece of tape over the end of the line or fill another reel and the best part of filling another reel... depending on the bottle size fill the bottle with water and it'll stand up and allow you to fill your reel without the spool running all over the place.

Attached Files:

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Thank you that would have to be the most creative and cost effective idea I have heard of. That is great Info.

19. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks Bill for the post you started a landslide of good ideas, ideas that are deffinately benificial to all of us.One thing I found out about braided line is that ice is like a razor to it. but other than that I am sold on it.Ive tried 2 or three braids and found Power Pro to be the best for me,that doesnt mean that others havent improved theirs,

20. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanx Bill & everyone else great info, I started using braid for steelhead fishing & now it is on all my reels, saddly I had to learn some lessons the hard way, however I did find a way to cure the problem of the braid freezing especially on the reel, it is to spray the spooled up line with silicone, I use Liquid Wrench in the RED can-it is straight silcone, DO NOT USE WD-40 or Penetrating Oil, the silicone fills the micro gaps in the braid keeps it from soaking up water thus keeping it from freezing, it does have the bennefit of making the line float a bit & thus making tending your slack easier if you are using bobbers. Hope this helps.