More bad news on the river...

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Nessie, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Is it me,or are these incedents becoming more frequent?WE all need to remember saftey first,no trip or fish is worth a life.If you don't use a life jacket,at least have a throwable device on hand,especially in high water with swifter than normal current.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    prayers go out to the family from here...

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Prayers go out to his family.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You know what I always preach. :wink:

Lifejackets do you no good in the floor of your boat when you REALLY need them. Put 'em on folks, live to go home to your loved ones when the unthinkable happens.

5. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    The news just said the man was a 63 year old paraplegic who had no life jacket and could not swim. As far as i am concerned who ever took him on that boat should be charged with manslaughter. wtf were they thinking?

6. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow!! I'm all for keeping our disabled folks involved in the sport but good god, if this is true someone needs their head checked.

7. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
  8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    what a memmory for the mans grandson to have to deal with:sad2:

9. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Last nights news said he had recently been released from the hospital and could hardly walk much less swim. I never could understand how a non swimmer can go on any body of water with out a life jacket, then again I never could understand how anyone can make it through childhood with out learning how to swim.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I agree with the life jackets, but heck Micheal Phelps couldnt take on the mo. river.... If you can swim or not why would some one take that chance? Im a pretty good swimmer but i took my lifejacket on the float trip with me... LMAO the water was only 4ft deep but there was current.. thats a sign that its a hole around there some where..JMO

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am/ or was a good swimmer.And I have taken the pfd off and sat there enjoying the sun.I have even been moving w/o it.I do put it on at night or Heavy sea, and on the weekend when you have to dodge jetskis. They are a good to use. When somthing can go bad it goes bad in a hurry.
    smokey

12. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I used to be like that but since I fish most of the time by myself and I am on the miss I ALWAYS wear my life jacket. The guy that drowned yesterday was thrown over by a wave from anothers boats wake. These boats are very unstable and there been a lot of times I have almost lost my balance. So far, the only time I ever feel off was at the cb ramp:big_smile:

13. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I figure one of these days they are going to make it like the seat belt law you haft to wear them.

14. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Prayers go out
    Wear your Life Jacket

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

:smile2: Takes all kinds - there were at least 3 guys in my platoon in boot camp that looked amazed that Marines were expected to know how to swim. They learned pretty quick but I don't think they enjoyed it:smile2:

The first question I ask when I take someone out for the first time is if they can swim. I'm guilty of basically never wearing my life jacket (save the advice, I tear the tags off mattresses, too:wink:) but I'm not getting my a$$ sued off because somebody who couldn't swim drowned out of my boat because they weren't wearing a jacket. PFDs are great, common sense and a brain are better.

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    And yet you choose to just go out there without any of them Branden.:smile2:

17. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like fightin' words. I will go ahead and setup the steel cage. My money is the big guy.

But, the main event will be Ratman vs. Nessie and Pearl. I remember back in the day they always put two against one....and I would like to see that again.

The event will be held at CB in mid-July. You can get your tickets at your local box office.

18. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Nessie, don't worry about Greg because this will really blow his mind. After you left that spot Greg my mother and I landed 13 fish biggest one was 35lbs.:smile2:

19. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Infact, Greg I don't think I ever culled so many fish in a tourney before:smile2: