More annoying bank fishing questions...Lakes Wateree or Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, May 1, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Since I live in Sumter I am about an equal distance from each, so I am just wondering what lake has more quality/available spots from the bank? I don't know much about either lake. I have drove over Marion on 95 and went to Wateree last year for an Air Force function at the military rec area up there, but I don't even know exactly which part of the lake that is at since I didn't drive. So if anyone could point me in some direction as to where I can find some cats I would appreciate it.

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Ok I am going to change tactics here. I am going to search google maps until I lose my mind and post pics of spots that hopefully some folks can tell me about.

So my first one is Lake Marion. It is the northwest side just off the Congeree. It appears to be a boat ramp, with some grassy areas that could be used for bank fishing. So anyone know anything about the following picture.

And I am going to keep all my questions to this one thread, so hopefully it won't get too annoying. Thanks for any help in advance.

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Next spot I found is Lake Wateree. It is right by the Wateree Dam. I am going out on a limb and say its name is Buck Hill Landing.

4. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Marion would be your best bet...try the public pier at Packs landing,at the boat ramp you'll see a walkway that will take you past a shaded rec area and out to the lake. shallow water with a light current. I've heard of DNR gill nets set near there to survey fish populations LOADED with Cats and Stripers in past years. Prolly best for night fishing and you'll need a lantern...plenty of live baits available at the store. Only drawback is that it's a small pier and if someone else is there it'll be crowded.

next option would be Elliots pier. I have'nt been their in a while but it used to be lighted. A fairly large pier with pleny of brush piles under the lights to attract panfish. No bait available but it's only a few miles from Packs so you could always stop there. Elliots is a pay to fish pier ($2.00 a day,I think)

If you get a chance explore these spots, I think you'll like what you see.

Some of my favorite spots are within eyesight of both piers.

good luck

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the pic of wateree you are correct it is buck hill landing but it is currently closed. it was a single ramp but now it will be a double ramp and looks like they are gonna pave the parking area. I have done ok there at night with cut bait from the bank while at my in-laws house visiting. but right there below wateree dam is a good place to fish. you will be limited to the pier while the water is running but when its not wide open there is alot of places to fish from the bank. you can catch all the bait you need with a cast net. they are catching some decent cats and some stripers there right now.

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    the AFB Rec area is at clearwater cove on wateree,coming out of camden,go up hwy 97,it will be on the left,not sure of miles because i come from other direction,dont think it would be more than 10 to 15 miles at most,there is a sign on 97 for clearwater cove and AFB Rec area,they are accesed by same rd,you had posted a pic of beaver creek bridge,clearwater is a good bit closer to camden than beaver creek

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, the first one is Low Falls Landing. It has some bank fishing, but it's mostly shallow water. I've seen some folks fishing there, but not too many catching. At night, though, it might have potential. Unfortunately, most of the upper lake doesn't have very good access for bank fishing, due to the shallow swamps along the river bed, as you can probably tell from the google pics. I'm sure there must be some areas, as mentioned above, though, and if I spot any I will let you know. :smile2:

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man I hope the next record doesn't come from there because they will ruin that lake for sure.

9. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Got any suggestions for first visit to Wateree for some catfishing. (with boat)

10. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    If I am coming from tennessee on the west side of the lake where is a good safe ramp fairly close to a nice motel??
    We plan on coming down next Thursday afternoon late for a couple of days fishing if the weather cooperates.

11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Santee state park is just above 95 bridge with bank and pier fishing. Or Poplar Creek Landing rents jon boats. Be careful bank fish at night , if the bugs don't tote you off the gaters might.