More 200lb Blue Catfish stories!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SkipEye, Jan 7, 2010.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Been working with this old guy who grew up a river-rat in the 1940's. Seems like a stand up guy and sincere about what he is telling me. His family commercial fished the Mississippi River.

He talked about running jugs made out of 5 gallon cans from an old still. They got some really big long shanked hooks and hung a whole chicken for bait. They'd drift right down the channel with lines out about 6 ft in depth. Says they caught a few in the 200lb range. Says his uncle who ran hoop nets got a 200 pounder once and couldn't hardly get the net in the boat.

Not saying I am convinced of all this but I showed him pics of Radish's fish and he didn't seem shocked at all.

Do you all think that back in the 40's there might have still been some of these MONSTERS around?

I know....I know....... there have been MONSTER CATFISH stories around forever and even fairly reputable reports from the 1800's of 200+ and even a 315lb Blue brought into the scales in town.

Of course there is much more barge traffic now but who wants to load up some MONSTER JUGS with some MONSTER BAIT, toss them in the channel and float for a day????:Stars:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Darryl I would like to see one caught. There are people that still don't think that is a real pic. of the fish I caught. I found out later that another lady that came up while my wife was taking pic, took some with another camera. I saw one of them see put up at our hunting camp. It looked just as big in her pic.

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I defidently believe it...no reason not to...i am amung a select few that think these monsters still exist today, just in fewer numbers than the past

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Radish there is NO DOUBT in my mind that your fish was real! I wish you would have gotten it weighed because it has haunted me since you caught it. I want to catch a fish like that as I am sure everyone else does. I have dreamed of catching a CAT like yours.

The Mississippi River is a huge body of water. I am sure you didn't catch the biggest one that swims in it.

You are still my hero, LOL!!!!!

5. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If in Europe they get 200-400 lbs, I don't see why not.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Darryl I'm game I also think I have some old hay hooks laying around from my days of tossing hay.

I hear those stories all the time from friends and family, I had a great great gandfather who was a boat builder and fisherman on the Mo. River just out side of Atchison KS. I did not hear the stories from him but I did his son my grandfather and he spoke of huge 100plus cats getting pulled from the river alot. I know they were out in the waters but why would they not be now, that is what gets my blood going all the time and get me pumped to fish. Then you see pictures like Radish's fish and it gives you more hope. I will tell you this that fish was huge no question about it how big who cares it big and still swimming.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    For anyone that needs a reminder of what is swimming in the Mississippi River in RECENT times here are a couple shots again of Radish's Blue Cat:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

primitivefrn likes this.
  8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I still think they are out there, no reason for them not to be. First of all, how often do most people use baits that are big enough for one of those fish to be interested in? I think of the times I have had a fish on below Truman Dam and was never able to get it stopped before being spooled. I caught an 84 pounder in 2008, and hopefully it is still swimming out there somewhere, so how big would that fish be today? Chris

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i believe their still out ther.I may never catch one,but if i quit tryin' i know i won't.i would like to see someone else on the BOC (usca) catch another one,and get a weght on it.

10. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Radish,

How wide is your hand? (measured) One could run an analysis on the pic to get a rough idea on the width of the cats head. That may give a good indication of the size of the fish +/- 5 - 10% error margin.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If Radish caught one that was that big then why wouldn't they be 200# Blues in the Mississippi .Or for that matter the Mo river.
    From the looks of that 1 I'd say it wasn't too far off itself. One heck of a fish.

12. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Most fish including catfish have indeterminate growth, meaning they don't stop growing. Their growth may be very slow as they get older but they will still continue to grow there entire life. So there is no reason for there not to be massive 150#, 200#, fish still roaming our big rivers. Another good reason to let catch and release big fish.

13. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've fished at Truman several times each of the last two years, and I've had the same experience as chris....hooking something and getting spooled before you ever get it slowed down. I wouldn't doubt that there's 150+ lb fish below the dam at warsaw, or in the osage or Mo, or Miss rivers as well.

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seen to much weird stuff happen on the Mo river here. I have had trot lines busted up and have hooked fish on rod and reel that has spooled me with 25lb line and bent out hooks with 90lb braid. I still am haunted by what hammerd a 12 inch live mooneye last june on me that dang near yanked me out of the boat and bent out a 9/0 hook with 90lb snaggen line. Fish over 100lbs are there I just know it. I have to think of all the bigger fish I get on bigheads and carp. They are feeding on them. Food = growth . I still look @ the monster radish got and wonder are there bigger ones yet out there? I want to think there are.

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what are the guesses on the weight of radish's fish??

i bet there are 100 lbers in places people dont think they even have 60-70 lb ers

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also believe there are 150-200# fish still swimming and getting fatter every day. Darryl I agree Radish is my hero and he truly caught an enormous fish.

17. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My opinion doesn't count for much, but I'd say Radish's fish would have been easily over 150lbs.

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have no real reson to not believe it..I still think there has to be a couple left!!!The real reson i think ther isnt as many huge ones...iis becasue there are somany fish that our rivers are becoming over populater..kinda goes along with "The fish will only grow as big as the tank will allow it to!!"...Just my 2 cents..Not worth much but any way..lmao

19. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've always said radish's fish is pushing 200lb. real hard.i've seen pics of people holding 100lbers and they don't even compare.

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've seen pics of a few 100 pounders also and I even have Pruitt's DVD with his 126 and it doesn't compare either.

No doubt to me that Radish was holding the 'next' World Record Blue.

It was skinnier in the belly (from other pics I have seen) than I would have expected for a fish that size but I am still betting it topped 150 and might have been pushing 175 or even higher.

Look at the massive size of it's head, the 100 pounders don't even come close to that size!!