Moral dilemma

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LiquidSteel, Sep 3, 2006.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ok, I was fishing not too long ago, and instead of catching cats, I hooked into some more large mouth bass. At the lake I was at, one of the bass literally swallowed the treble hook down into his belly. There is a minimum size requirement before you can take any bass out of this particular lake. The bass was too small to take home and clean, and I sure don't want to risk getting into trouble for taking an under sized fish home. I tried to get that treble out of his belly without killing it, without any luck. So I ended up cutting the line off right at the hook and let him go.

Will that hook end up killing that fish, or will he be able to work it out on his own? And what would you do in the same situation?

Kenny

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    To each his own and by no means am I passin any judgement. This is one reason I don't care for trebles. I more than likely would have done the same thing.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    No offense taken, it does make me want to turn in my trebles for something else. I've also had the same thing happen with J hooks:sad2: .

But never with a kale or a circle hook.......

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    IMO!!! There should be exceptions to every rule, this is one of them. This fish will most likely die of starvation because it can't swallow it's prey.
    You did the right thing as far as the law goes but, the laws don't take into acount "the grey areas".

This is also why I "DON'T" use trebble hooks.

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    yyou did the right thing worse that could happin could be the best like it will become part of the food chain.good luck

6. Keeyaawww dont feel too bad man, I was told and I dont know how true it is, dat when or if you leave da hook in dem fish, sometimes dey work out by demself and sometime dey just rust out quicker den normal because da water mixes wit da fish oils and all and makes it rust really fast...but I dont know how true it is...I like to think so dat way if I have to leave a hook in dere, which I try not to do, I can do it wit a clean concience,
    I gar-aun-teee:big_smile_2: .

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    As long as the hook wasn't stainless steel it should rust away in a few weeks. But I have my doubts about that theory. After you are done yanking and tugging at the hook trying to get it out that has to mess the fish up. Plus as J.W. said the thing may starve to death. But as far as doing the right thing I feel you did all you could And made the best choice in the end. It will be all right at least a big ole catfish will have a nice meal!!

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    From what Ive read about salt water fish, the hook will almost always rust out, or the the fish will develop an "infection" around the hook, and their body will expell the hook. But I don't know about fresh water. And I know it wasnt a stainless hook either. I always carry a pair of long hemo-stats to dig hooks out of fish.

Thanks for the input and info brothers!

Kenny

9. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I have also wondered about a hook rusting out. I have thrown some back with the hook in because I couldn't get it out. Who really knows how long it takes the hook to rust out. I believe you made a good choice.

10. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    :sad2: I agree witj catfshin50
    Trebble hoohs are made fore lures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Use cicle hoooks or kahle hooks
    But, in all reality things happens:angry:
    just be wise and carefull about how you fish!!

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    You did the right thing.

Law is pretty clear-if its under the size limit,it's got to go back.No grey area there.

Cutting the line was the best thing you could do,don't beat yourself up for it,it happens.

If you like trebles,keep using them,there are hundreds of styles of hooks out there,and all of them can be swallowed under the right(wrong?) circumstance.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I probably would have done the same thing or maybe used it for cutbait...maybe.

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That is definitely a greay area. Even though it doesn't sound like you enjoyed having to let it go, you did the right thing in the eye of the law.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    around here that .35 cent hook is a lot less costly than a $57.50 fine . i personally would have gotten the hook out no matter the fishes out come depending on who was nearby. caught a 1.5# flathead last nite kept and cleaned cause it had a 8/0 j in its throat i normally would have thrown him back to grow , but you probly done the right thing in the eyes of the law

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After losing thousands of Stainless and plated hooks over a lifetime,I believe that I was WRONG.I believe that I was THOUGHTLESS.Fresh or salt water,you should use hooks that will rust out.I have lost many stainless hooks that could possibly kill thousands of fish and animals over thousands of years.No one knows how long these hooks will last or how many creachers they will kill in their life span.Plated hooks also have a long life span.Rusting out is often a joke.peewee-williams

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    there is something you could try. theres a way to get the hook out if a bass swallows it but it wont work on a treble hook. you reach up into its mouth through its gill plate( be careful not to touch the gills) with your needle nose pliers and grab the line. pull the line back down through the gill plate and hold it. this turns the hook around. now reach down with your needle nose pliers and grab the turned around hook and pop it out. i saw this in in-fishermen and i have tried it and it does work. it doesnt work on most fish. just bass.

17. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    It's a judgment call, depending on how bad or deep a fish is hooked,hooks do rust out,but if the fish cant eat due to a bad gut hook then most times they will die,so it's a 50/50 Chance of the fish surving. I also agree about the issue of treble hooks, I dont use them unless it's for a homemade cat bait that I use .

18. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for the info! I wish you had been with me to talk me through it!:lol:

19. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think I would have done the same thing...By law theres not really anything else you could have done.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Largemouth make excellent cat bait.