Moraine State Park

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by xnmcclurex, Feb 7, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    does any one fish lake aurthur? i heard it has some huge channels in it. i usually catch bullheads and bream when im there but i was wondering if anyone else fished it?

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive fished it alot for striper and crappie but never specifically for cats. I did catch a channel about 27" a couple years ago. Ive heard increasingly good stories about the channels in it and I might have to go up and try for em this year.

3. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I think Lake Arthur is one of the best Channel Cat lake in the state. I have caught some monsters from there

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I have a little honeyhole for wood ducks and teal that I think would be great for channels. Im pretty sure that is where I will start tryin for them when I go there. Ive heard that the point near Shannon is pretty good for them too and its pretty close to where I caught the 1. The upper 528 launch should be pretty good too.

Do you guys catch em more in the main lake or in the bays?

5. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i usually fish the bays, the main lake gets too windy in a little 14ft jon boat. i usually fish muskrat cove and the boat launch on south shore as soon as you enter the park. theres a duck blind at the end and a stretch of shore.

6. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    528 is a great place to fish but always soo crowded with people:confused2:. I like to fish the main lake. I do alot of drift fishing there. I have good luck from 528 boat launch down to nealeys point

7. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i like going there on the first day of trout season because no ones there. i might try some drift fishing this year in some of the bays, and hopefully catch a new pb channel.

8. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i don't go up there a whole lot but i read some where, that it's one of the top lakes in the state for channel's. i usally go for stripper's but one time got a real nice channel up. hope this help's .... justin

9. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have been thinking about heading up to lake Aurther this year are you able to fish at night ? I also read somewhere that the lake is the best in the state..

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    never been there but it sounds like a great place to fish.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    yes, you definitely can fish at night. I have spent some time on morraine and I don't think anyone could blindly say its the "best in the state"--its no fairer than the plenty of local people who say its a "dead sea"...

neither description is true but neither one is completely wrong either. its a large very pressured reservoir with a large dense population of several kinds of bait fish. that means the trophy potential is High- but so is the skunking potential.

as for me, when I hear 'best in the state' I generally think 'ease of catching large fish'...but do not apply very much to morraine. When I think of morraine, the only thing thats EASY to catch is little bullheads (they're everywhere). Its not easy to catch any of morraine large gamefish; but when you do, boy they can be some nice fish.

12. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    thanks for the tips Jolie, Moraine is about a 2 hour drive I think I will still try fishing there but maybe the grass is not always greener the Ohioriver is only 5 mins away....

13. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Fished yesterday after work landed 9 channels with the biggest going 6lb. Forgot the camera in the truck though. First boating trip this year I always forget one thing:tounge_out:

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice job on the Channel Cats Ryan! Thanks for the report. :cool2: I've been thinking about taking a ride up to Lake Arthur to try for some Channels!

15. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    any tantalizing hints? muddy creek arm- near the south shore bL, north shore??

rep on its way! I still think there's more catfish at shenango, but it has always seemed that arthur had bigger fish.

16. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I was fishing the 528 launch area. fish were all caught drifting in shallow water 4 to 8 ft. I found a large shad that had died recently at the boat launch and caught most fish on it.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I fish moraine fairly often for channels.Good chance of getting 1 over 20# on any given night.I like fishing the north shore launch area after dark.You can catch all the gills you,ll need for the whole night in about 20 minutes there.Water is fairly deep here_you can cast into about 15+ft here from shore.Best action here seems to be from 1/2 hour before dark until about midnite.If the weeds are up high ,I like to fish my gill about a ft off the bottom(add a small cork on your leader.I,ve also had decent sucess out on Neely,s Point on the north shore too-if you want to fish there ,come early,theres limited space out there and the striper guys like it out there too.Hope this helps some.

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Hittin the lake tomorrow with the boat. Im pretty sure that Ive got at least 1 screw loose to be goin out in the weather that were havin right now but im givin it a shot anyhow. Hoping to get into some crappie and maybe even walleye during the day and then move and try for some channels in the afternoon/evening. As long as I dont get blown off the lake i will have a report when I get back. I need to catch something with whiskers quickly!!!

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    good luck Justin and be careful out there. catch me a hog or two if ya don't mind. :wink:

20. vinestbrew

vinestbrew New Member

State:
    pgh,PA
    Seems to me the lake fishes better at night..