moonphase

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catcrazed, Jan 13, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Gotta ? for all of ya. Do any of you believe in fishing when The almanac saids is good times to fish? Just watched a catfish video on drifting for blues on Santee cooper and The guide saids that bar none the best time of the month to fish is on THE full moon nights. Never really thought about it but the best day/night of fishing I have ever had in my life was on a full moon night. me and a buddy caught over 30 cats on a full moon evening into night. Just figured that if it was really something that was that important in catching fish I would just tell my boss he would have to get a moonphase calender and I would need off on every full. Just wanted to know if anyone else believed in this theory.

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I always do the best with no moon at all and no lights. Caught my biggest with no moon, twice in one night. If I'm channel cat fishing I usually tear em up with no moon.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all be darn! i was just discussing the same question today with a buddy. here is my input on the moon phases...i have caught fish on full moon, i have caught fish on half moon. etc.. i won't stay home because of the different moon phases. i don't like fishing super shallow water during full moon, but you can locate them elsewhere and still have a productive night. if you wanna get technical, i think barometric pressure changes, and strong frontal systems effect them more than anything...rollo

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad some are answering these questions, gotta be honest I have never even paid any attention to it...maybe I should?:eek:oooh:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the "moon phase theory" is not a myth. i seen an in-fisherman report several years ago and it showed that (somehwere around) 80-90% of world record fish were caught on or very near the full or new moons. my "best fish" match that report, not only cats but most all predatory fish like bass, crappies, trout, etc. what the moon does to fish i am not sure but i prefer the 3 days before and after the New moon for big fish as well as numbers of fish, the 3 days before/after the Full for targeting the biggest of the big in a hole (bite will be slow, everything else is hiding!). i have noticed its either feast or famine during the full moon. i like also the nights of the Last and First quarter for overall good fishing. i usually schedule my vacation time around the Full and New moons but if it looks like the weather stats i prefer will not be favorable i will cancel and use them when it is:wink:. IMO, it takes the 2 factors, weather and Moon, to make for those amazing outings. try to imagine a wind-up toy......to me it seems the "Moon factor" gets the fish "all wound up" and then factors like weather, time of day, etc, trigger them to feed like you pressing the button on a wound up toy.

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    just wanted to bring this one back to the top of the page. wanted some more hits on this one. Like what ive heard so far

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have heard that and i like to try to fish on the full moon. Not that i won't go if it ain't a full moon but i have seemed to have better luck when it is.

8. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I read that article in In-Fisherman that Dink mentioned (and later they had it on the TV show), and if memory serves hes right that 80-90% of world record fish were caught during the new/full moon phases. After reading that I did pay attention to where the moon phase would be when I did the striper fishing I was doing back then, and I definitly had my best fishing trips during those phases, but as Rolo says, if it's a new moon and a big cold front would come thru, the cold front would out-do the moon phase and shut the stripers down cold.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes, im not disagreeing with dink or you at all.. i know there have been great studys done, i keep moon phase along with other data and document our trips. what i was meaning more than anything, we have caught good fish in every different moon phase over the years.. i don't much care what the phase is, as long as we have stabile weather patterns, thats the only thing that would defer me from going. im sure, moon phase has effects on certain nights, but hasn't effected our nights enough to worry about it...goodluck bros...rollo

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry, i skipped over your post and didnt see your comments lol. i agree with you 100% when you say "frontal systems" and "barometric" pressure are the most important, i will look at them first before the moon phase. the moon will not keep me from going fishing, but if the weather conditions are not desirable then i might just do something else.

11. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i personally don't care what moon phase it is and i can't even say i care if it is raining or not i have had some good nights fishing in the rain, the way i see it i am out on the water or on the bank just relaxing and enjoying one of the sports that i love and my wife isn't yelling down my neck, do this do that... lol
    so in my book anytime i'm not at work or at home and i am FISHING.........AHHHHHH THE GREAT OUTDOORS..........Mike

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    my dad really believes in the moon theory 3 days before and 3 days after a new moon. myself i like to fish too much to care ive had great days on both the full and new moon and nights also and had bad ones on both. i hate a north east wind the most i think, give me south south west wind :wink:

13. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i do way better during full moon phases.i think barometric pressure is the most important part of different weather and moon phase situations.kind of a guess-but i think the pressure does something to there swim blatter that makes them more or less active.ive been keeping track of when,how and where my bigger fish were caught over the last couple years and patterns are starting to develop.another thing ive been watching is shad activity.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive had some of my best nights on a full moon. There are variables tho. Full moon but windy, raining, extreme temp changes, spawning season. JMHO.