mooneyes and skipjack

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bw69r, Apr 17, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    does anyone have any tips on how to find and catch these. i would like to try them for flatheads. any advice would be appreciated.

2. Eric Wood

Eric Wood New Member

State:
    manitoba
    what i was catching them on was bobber and worm on a little hook, and a certain time of the year, well around here small white mayflys flying around and on the river, the mooneyes or goldeyes were taking the mayflys off the top, when the flys breached the top water. So, flyfishing could be another way to catch them. another is worm and pickerel rig and you can us a bobber too, if u like,:big_smile: that works good too. good luck.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I never have heard of mooneys but far as skip jack you can usually find a school of them swimming and throw you a cast net you orta be able to catch you some like that also, I have caught some skippy's before using night crawlers.

4. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Cast net would be a great idea..... but here in PA its not permitted to use them :sad2::sad2: !

5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I throw about 3 jigs on a line an cast out.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Very seldom will you catch a skipjack in a castnet unless, it is the small ones (about 4 to 6 inches). The bigger ones are way to fast to be caught with a castnet!!!