Mooneye

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Flootie16, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey does anyone know a place where i can go to catch mooneye for bait near the cincy area? i love them and just cant seem to find them.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you put in at New Richmond and head down river, the first power plant or somekind of plant that you will come to has a discharge, it will be on your right on the Ohio side, sometimes its warm and sometimes not, but the discharge is right by some pillars very close to the bank, you will mark tons of smaller fish on your graph, I have netted mooneye at that spot before with the cast net on accident, like skips I am sure they are on the move alot, but last time I was at that spot a few weeks ago they were there, but with the rain finally I am sure the river will start to move again and along with it so will the fish, I would look there though its the only place I have ever seen them in this area.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Mooneyes don't seem to be that common (like skippys, shad) on the Ohio from my experience. But good luck in your search for them.

4. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    i know the lower great miami has got some

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    most mooneye will be around the slack water at the dams! best way to catch them is with a small gold crappie hook with a bobber and they luv crickets!

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    seems like the blues are hitting mooneye better than skipjack right now.. have you been using any mooneye steve?

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    biga ive been using mooneye and skippiys and shad but the the mooneye seems to be dominating rite now! but for some unknown reason to me they always do goin into the fall!

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love mooneye this time of year. and normally i can go up into the great miami right in the mouth from the ohio and catch the daylights out of them, but this year i havent found them. i think they work great and would love to have a freezer full of them to go along with my skips

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd love to have a bunch in the freezer also. It seems the only time I can catch them is on accident and thats rarely. A couple weeks ago we were down at the Greenup L&D and katfish ken caught a real nice sized one on a piece of skipjack. It was about 13-15" long. We used him for cut bait that day. It was also the biggest one I had seen.