MOONEYE

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishDK, Aug 28, 2009.

1. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    I have been using chunked MOONEYE more this year then the past on the Ohio river and have fished it along side fresh skipjack and shad and have hands down put more fish in the boat! Any of you OH river guys ever tried it?

2. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    goldeye same thing

4. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Gold fish? So its the dark ones?

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Nope, not goldfish. They are more like a shad only fatter and bigger and have teeth. Mooneyes and Goldeyes come from the same species only the goldeyes have a yellow color in their eye.

6. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Check out Welder's albums he's got some monster mooneyes in his pics they along with goldeyes are my top producing baits up here in Manitoba as well. :big_smile:

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If ya know what a skipjack looks like.. mooneye have more bulgier type eyes and a mouth smaller than a penny almost.:wink:

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    IMO, welder is the BOC expert on mooneye. I've used them for cut bait when I come accross them and have even caught nice flathead on cut mooneye on trotline. Last year was cicada year here and we caught several of them top or near top water with cicadas and poppers.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep Troy is the "Mooneye Expert" :smile2:

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mooneye are great bait. I just chunk and use fresh or live. They can be hard to get sometimes. Blues love em. Ya know out of 30 lbs I put up this year. I only got 3 bags left. Ya get a few use em. Catch a mayfly hatch or bug hatch on the river stock up. Try small spinners and spoons for em or minners under a bobber if ya find em.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  11. festus

festus New Member

I have heard of mooneyes and goldeyes all my life, but am not sure if I've seen one. Most everything in the shad and herring families look so much alike, it's difficult for me to tell the difference. I know a skipjack from a threadfin or a gizzard shad, and that's about it.

Does anyone know if mooneyes are in the Tennessee, Clinch, or Cumberland River systems?

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They have TEETH !:eek:oooh:

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    The mooneye is a medium-sized fish, usually reaching 11-15 inches in length and 1-2 pounds in weight. It has a flattened slab-sided body that is silvery in color. It has several distinguishing characteristics including: large, prominent eyes; a short snout; smooth, rather than saw-edged, scales on the belly; and a small flap (called a pelvic axillary process) located just above the pelvic fin. In addition, the mooneye has teeth on the tongue and on the middle of the roof of the mouth.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009