Mooneye

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by dieselcat, Jul 23, 2009.

1. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to where i can look to get some mooneye with a throw net in the Missouri river?Like what to look for?behind dikes,in front of dikes,deep,shallow?Friend of mine said something bout behind barges once,is this a good spot?Sand barges is all thats around me,no grain barges.Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Shane.

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mooneye are hard to get in a net unless they gathered like under a tree full of mayflys. Break out the light rods and fish the mouths of rivers runnen into the MO. Use roadrunners, gold or silver kastmaster spoons, spinners like firetiger mepps alga ect. troll up and down the bank casting to the bank just like bass fishen then try out in the middle. The mooneye and even some skipjack should be feeden on the shad fry right now in the open water. Also troll a small minnow under a bobber behind you as you cast for mooneye you can get a few more that way to. The best bet is to catch a mayflyhatch around the full moon and catch em when the go bannanas on the mayflys.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hit the gasconade @ the town of Gasconade launch. Fish below the railroad bridge for em we got a lot of em in the river right now. IF ya still dont have any luck Shane. PM me I will take ya out fishen for em when I get back from Fort Lewis in aug. Worst comes to worst I can give ya bag of some we got from this year.

4. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    People were catchin them below the dam at Smithville. They ain't runnin the water real fast, and these folks that caught em had one hit a rooster tail like a hammer and the othern they caught on a minner. They was both about a foot long.

5. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Yep Troy i agree they are hard to catch in a cast net, but i heard of alot of guys use there cast net when hunting moonies. i guess to eaches on huh

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    they tough to get in numbers with a castnet. I do better and have more funn fishen for em lol look @ mooneye madness in my albums.

7. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I heard a little story around here and went to see for my self ....

I got about 20 mooneye today in about an hr fishing with jigs.Yellow/black red/pink

Even got a few good size bass that i threw back.

Also the guy tells me in about 3 weeks they will be running hard for the last time of the year.I just cleaned my deep freezer out today i should have a few bags to spread around.