Moon Phases

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    How do the different moon phases effect catfishing at night? Do you prefer a full moon, no moon or somewhere in between and what kind of Catfish do you mostly fish for at night?

2. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    As far as the moon phases I think that it makes a big difference. Many of the old timers telling story after story of their catches and following the moon phase was their guide. Same during planting and many of the other farming and life cycles of this planet are driven. Full moon and New Moon I hear have always been the best. Full moon hospitals full, jails are full and after 20 plus years experience in Public Service as EMT / Firefighter / Law Enforcement it becomes crazy and a very active night. Moon phases even change peoples attitudes and emotions.

Weather Conditions also are a factor. Change of low and high pressure systems or fronts moving in.

I love to be out at nights on the full moon with clear skies. I think that by not only smell the fish are looking up for bait..... they see the shadow thru the light of the moon. This is where bait color if using lures makes a difference. Most folks want to use a lighter color thinking that they see it better when in fact it is the opposite.... darker colors work best because they are seen as a sillouette.

My two cents are out. lol

AJ

3. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    byron (macon area)georgia
    No moon (the darkest hour) seems best to me...Odds seem to be against em... Use there sence of smell more ... Better odds for us:wink:

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have wondered about that myself always heard new moon don't know for sure

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have yet to catch a fish during a full moon. I have tried a lot of different tactics and different spots with no fish. Plenty of bluegill though and bass jumping all over the place.

6. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    my prefrence is no moon to 3/4 moon full moon gives a little to much light when trying to get that pesky slug head sitting on the bottom. for me at least i think the fish are able to see the line and leaders better when there is more light, but thats just me. when fishing no to low lighted moon i go for the flatties, and from the low to 1/2 moon for channels, and then from 1/2 to 3/4 almost to full i go for blues, i vary my baits accordingly, i'll use something dark but stinky for low light something stinky and a little bita color for medium and then use shinners, shad, herring and colored hooks for high light. its works pretty well in the smaller lakes, rivers, and creeks, the bigger lakes and rivers you gotta pray to that fish god a little more but it always works out.:cool2:

7. creekrunnerpca123

creekrunnerpca123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i think a 3/4 moon is better,really dont know why,but deer and rabbits are more on the move,seems fish act the same way

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have seen the fish caught by this theory it might have something there

9. ls54

ls54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    im going fishin tomm but dont know where to go either jackson or oconee any suggestions

10. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i also wonder about the guide that says best times of day. ive went when it said good fishing and not catch many. what if its a full moon but cloudy and its covered up?

11. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Paul, this would have made a great poll....All the answers here are very interesting, and suprisingly varied. I usually catch a lot of fish just before the full moon, especially if it's a night when the storms come rolling in, when the pressure starts going down. I usually catch flats and channels at night. Blues hit pretty good up here either at dawn or dusk. I've never caught a cat in the middle of the day when the sun is the highest....Well, mainly because my fat butt COOKS in the midday sun. :smile2:

12. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Rooster, I think that moon phases have the same effect on freshwater lakes and rivers that it does at the beach. Full moon=water is higher. I've been out on the lake during a full moon and it's at full pond. The next night, at the same time, during the new moon, the water's just a tad bit lower....I'm only talking a few inches, but the concept is the same, IMHO. I don't think cloud cover would have a thing to do with it.

13. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have kept notes for the past ten years and normally I don't see a difference. That said, I have caught my two biggest flatheads in late may/early june around the new moon.
    I have also done a little research about some of the biggest flatheads(over 90 pounds) caught on the Altamaha. These fish were caught on limblines and around the full moon. Maybe the fish were moving in the shadows closer to the bank? I'm not sure...

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught my largest Flathead of 67.2 lbs under the full moon. But when I caught it, the moon hadn't come up yet. Ten minutes after it was released, the full moon came up over the trees. I have also caught them under the new moon. I used to be a Striper fisherman and followed the Solunar tables very closely. According to the solunar tables, which gives a Major feeding period and a Minor feeding period for each day, the times change each day by like an hour. I know that under the night of the full moon the Major feeding period is 12 midnight and the minor feeding period would be 6 pm. The same rule applies for the am hours as well. I have seen it proven time and time again on Giant Stripers. But as far as the Cats........I'm not so sure yet. Still got more testing to do. The solunar tables do not say that you will catch fish or game, but rather just give the best times that fish and game will be active according to the moon phases. I do monitor them regularly....but fish every Tuesday night regardless of moon phases or fishing times.:wink:

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Always do best flathead fishing during no moon. the 32# we caught recently was under no moon.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its been my experience from fishing the local rivers (mainly Savannah) for catfish that the worst time was on the full moon. The best fishing for me has been the week leading up to the full moon. I know guides on Santee that wont even book catfish trips on the full moon. For years I used to set bush lines in the river and every time the full moon would come around the fish would stop hitting a day or so before the moon. Although Id still catch one or two it didnt take long to figure out that there is something to it.

17. Bruski

Bruski New Member

State:
    GA
    I haven't kept records but, the last couple of months I have jugged alot at Sinclair and it hasn't seemed to make a difference as far as the moon phase. As far as types of cats - I'm really liking these white cats that we're catching more and more - pretty filets. I still have never caught a flathead but, I almost always use cutbait too.

18. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I've watched the Activity Guides for close to 20 years during deer season, and it's amazingly accurate for me as far as the "more activity" level is concerned... Now having said that, the guides usually list the full moon day as a high activity or "Best" day, but my experience says exactly the opposite. I was so convinced that I wouldn't see any deer on the full moon that I quit hunting on those days for years... Then about 6 years ago Opening Day of Archery season was a full moon, and I killed my PB with a bow (just under P&Y)that morning. But it was opening day....I still haven't broken the string of hunting the opener, and I have had a bit better luck seeing deer on the Full Moon, but I still think the activity level is down on a Full Moon... Yes, I'll be in a tree this weekend, as much as I hate it !!!! lol

19. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    A while back, UGA did a lengthy study on deer activity at night under the different moon phases. They concluded that deer movement at night was far LESS under a full moon and heaviest on new moon nights. They said the deer felt less secure on full moon nights and tended to feed more during daylight hours. The exact opposite from what everybody thinks.

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I know baitfishing in the summer months is best around a full moon. I have one bream hole that is on fire on the week during the full moon, and up to the full moon. Then after the full moon passes it's like they all go back deeper and scatter out more. This may be the last full moon where bream will be easy to catch.