Moon Phases....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnewsom71, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I have heard a lot of talk about the moon phases or moon charts and how that relates to the fishing on several different threads and I know very little about it. I wanted to start a thread talking about this subject because there is a lot of different opinions about the validity. I would like to start out by saying my personnal opinion.....I know nothing about it :embarassed:, and would like to. I hope someone else can learn a little from this also.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its my experience that moon phases and barometric pressure and all that stuff does make a difference,BUT it seems to me that different areas,different bodies of water and different species of fish are affected differently.What I do is I keep notes of the conditions when I go fishing and try to figure out when my catch % is highest and during what times of the day or season.Take everything into account in your notes including air and water temperature, the current, wind and different spots you fish may have cover such as logs or grass,sandy bottoms or rocky bottoms.. Take note of everything you can think of..So far I've concluded here in Tennessee its the first quarter of the moon phase that seems to be the most productive..Like I've said in a previous post I take note of these things but I go fishing whenever I can regardless of moon phases or pressure.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The In-Fisherman has been publishing their fishing calender for years and it is all based on Lunar data. I am going to say that thru personal experience that it does make a difference. Not going to catch many flatheads when that full moon is out!

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I can only verify the full moon data. I almost never get completely skunked but I've been skunked 3 full moons in a row. It is a tad depressing.

5. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have had full moon nights were i couldnt get a flathead using sunfish and bullheads on bank poles and i have had full moon nights when we filled our limit on channels using tobby worms and craw dads on bank poles.Had a real good luck one day on rod and reel in the river using minnows,caught mostly channels and a coulpe flatheads around 10 pounds.My 83 year old dad said it was because it had been a full moon the night before and catfish bit good during the day after the full moon.
    I really dont know,half the fun is just getting there and starting to fish.At that point anything is possible untill you pack it up to go home and then i can think about what anything different i could have done and try next time.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  7. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    grandpaw always said dont waste ur time when the moon was full and i have seen a lot of flatties he has caught when i was growing up. but as a kid as usualy we dont listen to our elders and go anyway. but i have caught a few in the full moon phase very few! and have always caught more and bigger in the dark of the moon.

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I've never had any luck when the moon is full.

9. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    So far sounds to me like one thing - Fish during the daylight hours on a full moon and don't waste your time at night. I wouldn't have guessed that there was such a definite difference. Pretty interesting!

10. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    when i was 16 years old i had an old timer who owned a bait shop tell me his opinion on this topic. i trusted his opinion judging by the dozens of monster flatty heads he had on his garage wall. he said the same about not wasting your time on fishing the full moon but he also added a little bit more. he said that the night 4 days before the full moon and the night 4 days after the full moon are the best nights to catch more and bigger flatty's. i dont know if its because i have trusted him all these years or something and maybe i try harder on those nights, but i have definitely caught the vast majority of my monsters 4 days before and 4 days after the full moon.

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just to add to my previous post you can purchase a fishermans log book to keep track of all the conditions..Alls you have to do is fill in the blanks..I got mine from Bass-Pro..They have one with a catfish cover which is the one I have..

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Nothing more to add except I have got Bass on a full moon . It does affect catfish (night) . I never thought about the day fishing before or after a full moon . Maybe I need to be more attenative . I will still fish when I can !:big_smile:

13. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thanks everyone for the information. I'll tell you this, so far I have not done very well during the day on the full moon either. I have tried it a few tiimes specifically trying to prove or disprove this. Someone sayed they caught bass on a full moon, this is for sure the bass love some topwater lures and even crankbaits at night with a full moon. I like the idea about the premade log book to...however I don't do anything else I am supposed to do like logbooks so not sure if I would stick to this one.