moon phases

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gottagetabigun, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    growing up my dad always told me the bigger the moon the less catfish bit. i'm sure he was told this from my grandpa who was a trotliner from way back. my dad and i fished practically every weekend till hunting season started. i've always found this to be true. about 15 years ago my brother in law and i took a weeks vacation and night fished below a lock here in ok. it was in the spring. the moon happened to be close to full. every night the bite started right at 1:00 am and lasted till around 1:30am and that was pretty much it. i came to the conclusion that maybe the feeding "window" is not open as wide when the moon is in its larger phases. i don't let the moon keep me from going because i'm like most folks i work so i go when i can. i do know i don't catch as many fish at night when the moon is larger. i would like some insight from anyone out there that watch the moon phases while fishing.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Friday night the skies were clear and the moon was full and bright but my brother in law and I caught at least 20 cats and missed another 20. If the moon had any effect it was a positve one.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have always liked the full moon. Part of that is, it is easier to navigate at night during a full moon.

My nephews like the dark of the moon. I am not an expert on this, Don't know.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I fished Friday night and nothing not one fish and the moon was in clear view.:eek:oooh:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    moon phases im sure have alot to do with feeding times, i don't like a bright sky when fishing shallow water at night. never been very productive for me. however, i have still caught fish in deeper water, and in the more shaded areas when the moon is full..... i don't get to fish enough anymore. a moon phase is not going to keep me at the house...:smile2: rollo

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Have always been told 3 days before and 3 days after the full moon.

Thanks for letting me share.
    PeeDee Cat.

7. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve been told by guides and others to stay away from the New Moon phase. But like most others I go when i`m able and the beers cold.

8. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    Last night was the night before the full moon. I tore the channels up. Caught 15. From about 9pm till 1am. They were still biting when I left but had my 2 younger boys with me. I fish when ever I can. But sometimes I like to match how I did with what the moon is doing. And I wont not fish because what it is doing either.

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Idunno, my experience says moon has little effect. One thing for sure is if bright moon kept everyone away from fishing, then that would be the time I'd be sure to go...

These days I trust my "gut felling" more than anything.

10. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also fish when i can but prefer a dark moon.That said i caught my largest flathead of 39 pound on a full moon.Only fish all night long.

11. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I think the moon effects everything. From when you plant if a farmer to when a fish will feed more. Crescent moon is when I like to fish not so bright that it will run off the flatheads but bright enough to not step on a skunk! Dont know if this is best phase or not just ive noticed oscars in an aquarium are most active during this time as well as just before storms.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i went on saturday evening with a big bright full moon. only had 2 runs, one resulting in a break off. i am going to try again this weekend when the moon is a little less bright.