Moon Phase ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Redneck in a Skiboat, May 4, 2009.

1. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I heard the kitties don't bite well at night on a full moon. I don't know if I ever noticed the moon or probally don't fish the full moon enough to have an opinion. What do yall think? I am thinking I'll give the bluegills a try a couple of evenings later in the week.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I say dont worry about it just fish whenever you have a chance no matter what phase.

3. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    My opinion is on the full moon cast too many shadows on the water-we do much better on new moons:wink:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    IMO...The moon phase doesn't matter much for catfsh. I've killed them on full moons and I've been skunked also, when I get skunked I blame it on the full moon but I know better, LOL.

But...most of your bait will react to the water temp and moon phases such as gills, herring , etc to spawn. And where they go I fish if I can.

After watching all this stuff so much I've turned more to looking at fronts and water temp more than anything.

I still watch the moon but its more of a habit than a fishing factor.

-Jim-

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I agree with this! Aint no moon stopped me from Smackn'em.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That myth got busted for me last year. I fished one night during a full moon and ended up getting one of the biggest cats Id landed up to that point. The fish that I got came from a deeper hole though...so thats my new guide line...until that one gets busted too!:wink:

7. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My son caught his biggest ever flathead on a full moon, but that happened to be the only fish we caught that night. I have to agree with most of you, Fish whenever you can. Any time fishing is better than sitting at the house, only exception is if the kids are at grandma's.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The one in my avatar was caught under the full moon. Ten minutes after I caught it....the moon came up over the trees and it got real bright. But when I caught it the moon was just coming up late.:cool2:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with James and Pop Pop. As I have stated before, if you wait for THE ideal days to fish, you'll be sitting home a LOT! Even during the worse possible conditions, there are exceptions to the rule, and fish can be caught!

Bill in SC

10. Swamp Angel

Swamp Angel New Member

State:
    S.C.
    One of the best outdoorsman I know hammers the fish and the and the deer. He is retired, so he gets to go a lot but he always comes home with big cats, monster redfish and flounder, big bucks you name it he does it. His so called secret- he only hunts and fishes the rising moon. He pays no attention to time of day, tide,weather. His philosophy is that all game are naturally nocturnal and either eat or get eaten at night. The rising moon indicates that it is time for night or nighttime is close so animals instinctively feed. The retired part helps cause I've seen him go to a deer stand at 10 am one day and 3 pm another and kill deer. He leaves whenever he needs to be in place whenever the moon is about to start rising. Most of us fish around our work schedules so we don't have this same freedom. He doesn't do feeding tables and such he said he just checks the paper for when the moon is rising and goes accordingly. I believe his philosophy, and the guy always brings home the meat. Unfortunately, I have a job, 3 kids and a wife, so my moon has got to be rising when my hall pass is issued. Interesting thought and the proof is in his pudding.