Moon Phase Statistics - State record catfish study

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rat, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I had done this a couple years ago, and since there have been records broken since then, I decided to do it again.
    What I did was take all the state records for channels, flatheads and blues that had a month, day and year for when they were caught and ran them through a "moon phase" calculator I found on-line. Of all the current state records, I found 78 of them with complete dates. Here's the results.
    Of the 78, 23 of them were caught during a full moon, and 25 were caught during a new moon, for a total of 48 of the 78 available. Which leaves only 30 of them split amongst the other 6 phases*. (or an average of 5 per phase, compared to 23 and 25)
    I broke it down a little further between state record species and moon phases and here's the results.
    .....................................................................................................
    Blue catfish:............7 caught Full Moon..................6 caught New Moon
    Channel catfish:.......7 caught Full Moon.................10 caught New Moon
    Flathead catfish:......9 caught Full Moon..................9 caught New Moon
    .....................................................................................................
    Then I broke it down by the months they were caught and species.
    Jan........0 Blue.........1 Channel.........1 flathead
    Feb........0 blue.........0 channel.........0 flathead
    Mar........0 blue.........2 channel.........1 flathead
    Apr........0 blue.........4 channel.........1 flathead
    May.......1 blue.........1 channel.........4 flathead
    June.......4 blue.........3 channel.........5 flathead
    July........3 blue.........2 channel.........2 flathead
    Aug........3 blue.........2 channel.........1 flathead
    Sept.......1 blue.........1 channel.........1 flathead
    Oct........0 blue.........1 channel.........1 flathead
    Nov........1 blue.........0 channel.........0 flathead
    Dec........0 blue.........0 channel.........1 flathead
    .................................................................................................
    The 3 current world records are included above but only shown as a state record. They are:
    World Record Channel:..........New Moon
    World Record Flathead:.........Full moon
    World Record Blue:...............Full moon
    ..................................................................................................
    Rat

Moon Phases: New Moon, Waxing Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, Last Quarter, Waning Crescent.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Rat,

Thats some interesting data, I remember the first data that you published, some good data.

Paul

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Good read, I always liked the new moon phase personally. But, from the way it looks, both are great in adding to your chances of catching that record flatty.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rat, thanks for taking the time to study that report and for posting it. Personally I have always liked the full moon for all species of fish. It's a shame they didn't post the times of the day that they were caught. Vern

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for sharing the data...pretty interesting read. I always like fishing the new moon and have pretty good results but I don't do any record keeping to compare to other moon phases. I need to start keeping a fishing log.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i seen a similar study done by In- fisherman some years ago, but it showed ALL species of record fish, world and state. think it was like 85% of the records were caught on or near the full or new moon. the rest were on or near the first/last quarters.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I hear ya Chris...that's my plan as well. I started keeping a log last year...but it kinda fell by the wayside throughout the course of the season. I resolve to get it accomplished this year.

I have always had my best luck during the 4 days preceding a full/new moon cycle...and the 4 days following.

9. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Things that make you go MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rat, thanks for the work. Now if I read this thing right, I could get lucky and catch a big fish on a new moon or a full moon, operative word being LUCK! lol :0a10: '' good job ''

11. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    good post i really enjoyed that. thanks.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I wonder how many of the fish that were caught during a full moon were caught simply because the anglers chose to fish because there was a full moon instead of another time?

Now here is a question to further complicate your reserach. Was the moon overhead, or was it simply that it was a full moon cycle? In other words were the fish caught at 2:00pm before the moonrise?

So do fishermen believe it is the light from the bright moon or the gravitational pull that affects the fish feeding? If it is the light, then what happens on a cloudy full moon night? If it is the gravitational pull, then how does the fact that the moon is overhead roughly once every day affect this?

I keep a fishing log, and in red on each month is the full moon. Last year I noted that the most fish I caught was the week after the full moon. The full moon was some of the smallest catches I had, but this may have been because I was fishing during the day.

The bottom line is that you can't catch fish if you are not fishing.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks Rat. I like to fish 3 days before or ater a full moon, and at night.

14. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jack, it might not be all luck if:

You go out on a new or full moon to a body of water that you know has large cats in it, that has produced them in the past. Take large, and I mean LARGE live baits ( or large cut bait) that are giving you hell to catch in your bait bucket cause they are that fresh. Bluegills handsized +, suckers 10 inches and larger, and any large legal bait you get in your cast net.

Find a place where you feel confident that one of those large cats might wanna hang out.

And sit there and wait until you either find one, or try it again in a couple weeks on a different spot of water. (Which might only be 100 feet up or downstream)

I agree, luck has a lot to with it, but any way we can cut that luck factor down by even 5% and replace it with confidence gives you that much better chance of hooking up with that fish of a lifetime. And how do we get that confidence? In my opinion, the state records prove it with the best time to give it your best shot.

Fish when you can? Heck yes. Any opportunity.......But if you are after the biggest one around in you're stretch of the river, and are willing to be patient enough to attempt it..........It sounds like a better than even bet to me.
    Rat

15. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Wyliecat, so you are saying more people are fishing during a full moon, which equals more bait in the water, which equals out to more catches? Well Sir, you might be right, and I have no information about the numbers of fishermen on the water to either back that up or discount it. So, in other words, you raise a very good point. All I can say is I took my own personal interpretation of a full moon and gathered the above information. If it was 2:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. to me doesn't really matter because a moon phase last's for about 3 and a half days..............Approximately.
    So if it's a full moon at noon, it's a full moon at midnight. If it isn't, then it's a waning gibbous moon, and wouldn't qualify as a full moon and I wouldn't have noted it as such. What I'm trying to say is just because you can't see a full moon doesn't mean it isn't a full moon phase. And if 62% of all the state record catfish (that I could find a complete date for) were caught during an approximately 7 day period out of a maximum of 31 days, I have to ask you, which day's would you determine to be the best days to find yourself a personal best catfish? All I did was crunch some numbers. What you decide to do with them is on your own initiative.
    And thank you for making me think a little more about this. I do appreciate it.
    Rat

16. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice job, Rat. Thanks for a job well done.

17. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Great post Rat, thats interesting.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Excellent post Rat! I also feel the moon phase is important as far as increasing the odds of catching a big Cat. The combination of moon phase plus weather and water conditions are to me major factors to consider when planning a trip in advance, of course I go no matter what if I get the chance but I think the moon phase is indeed important. I have planned out vacation time this year based on the moon phase and when I hope the weather & water conditions should be favorable.