Moon Phase Full

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by tdpasser, Mar 14, 2006.

1. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Would you guys prefer a full moon or new moon for Crappie?
    We're headed to Bartlett on Wed night or Thur morning for flats and crappie but not sure if we should go at night with crappie lights or day time? I 'm thinking dawn till afternoon because of water temps and it might be better for blue gills and sunnies for bait. Any thought or suggestions are appreciated.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FULL MOON! crappie love a full moon! new moon is good but a full moon is way better!

3. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    hey terry , how's it going , I'm sticking to day trips until the nights warm up a little bit , haven't tried for cat's yet this year , had hit and miss action for bass the last month or so, can't wait till it warms up, hope to see you guy's out at bartlett in a month or so

4. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If I'm night fishing for crappie I try and plan all my trips on dark nights. The shad are drawn to the lights more readily on those types of nights from what I have found. I have heard that the crappie lights simulate the moon and that is why Plankton and on up the food chain are drawn to them. When it comes to the cats I go when ever I can!!!!! The spawn for crappies should be kicking in anytime but after last weeks storms I believe it will take a few days of above average temps to get the water in the range they like. That and it looks like another storm for this weekend so who knows? Just get out there and try it and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I agree with Tom. I have had better luck on "dark" nights rather than when the moon is bright. I think this last storm may delay the lake rolling over for a week or two. It depends on this weekends storm but the weather man says high 70's for the weekend.

tdpasser- Let us know how you did and good luck. I should be out there the weekend after next...:cross: :cross: :cross:

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ah, i see i overlooked that you said you were gonna be night fishing. yeah, a dark moon would be better. "earth to dink!" (slap,slap!)

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Fished Thursday morning a cross from S.B. Cove launch and didn't catch a single cat. We did catch some monster carp and a huge 5lb large mouth bass. We cut up one of the carps and threw a nice fillet chunk out and I noticed the clicker getting tugged on just a little but it wouldn't run so I wacked it while it was playing with it and it turned out to be the big bass. fought pretty good for being caught on flattie gear. Over all it was a great day lots of small-med bass, oh bye the way we didn't catch blue gills until we set up for channel's casting 3 minnows on the bottom in 26 feet of water, none near shore. I am going to try using fresh carp meat later when it warms.

Shorepatrol, howdy nice to hear from you. My boys still have that frog in a jar you gave them during the bartlett derby. They like to bring it out when we have company. The argument is, is it a real frog most votes are yes. going for the upper salt next month I want to get a big-in this year.

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Fished Fri, Sat, Sun morning about 1/2 mile east of the no-wake bouyes towards the river end. One run on gills. It was a half hearted attempt by the fish. I was able to catch gills next to a rock pile right on the edge of shore in about two feet of water. No channels about 8 gills, no carp, no bass, no flatties. Had a great time with some good friends though, so I cant complain too much.:)

The fresh carp cuts are a great idea. I have never tried them so this summer I will try out carp cutlets and gill fillets.