montrose lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Dec 9, 2007.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Well time to get ready for my yearly trip to montrose,every year i go to montrose the weekend after duck season ,this year it will be jan5 We never take the boat then ,because all the cats and shad are piled up in the warm water channel ,have pulled several 20 to 30 lb flathead out of there though the years,anyone that wants to join me ,all welcome

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like it might be fun, Robert. I'll pencil it in on my calendar...

Bank fishing? I'm not sure I'd know how to conduct myself - it's been a long time! Guess I better bring a jar of Bee-Jay and some chicken livers!:smile2:

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea its hard to do when your use to fishing out of a boat ,but the ramp is so covered up with snow and ice you cant get a boat in( i have tryed) most of the time i buy one of them cheap walmart plastic tobogans to pull my gear and some firewood down to the channel ,works good,you should join us i know scott brown will most likely come too,he pulled that state record flathead out of there.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Robert what do you usually use for bait on those winter, flats, should be prime channel cat water fished. Deepwater creek above their as a kid, bullheads and perch. sounds like a fun deal.
    Jim

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where is this Montrose Lake located at in Missouri that you speak of? I live in Montrose,Iowa and when I seen that Montrose Lake thread it caught my eye.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    directions are ,Take 18hwy west out of clinton ,make left on P ,when you get to the powerplant make a right on the gravel first parking lot on the left its about a quarter mile walk from the parking lot to the warm water channel

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I usally nver have a problem throwing for shad they are always up there in the channel ,and i also try to get some bluegill or goldfish too

8. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    its about 50 miles or so south east of kansas city

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sounds like fun. Might as well go now, the duck hunting there is not worth closing it to fishing.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    yea i know ,but theres alittle thing called pay the conservation officer that i dont like

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think that is a little far for me to be traveling this time of year for 1 day of fishing. Thank you for the location of the lake.

12. kitten killer

kitten killer New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well I Will be there like i am all summer so see you all there and for every one who hasent been there it will be the best catfishin you have seen if you make the trip but not for size but for quanity of channel cat.

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Yes it is close to Montrose Mo. made by daming Deepwater, Creek which flows into, Trumnan Lake.
    Jim

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    You know i have never caught a channel out of there,just blues, and flats .Ofcourse i never fish for them either.

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    its a pretty good walk a couple times in the past years in january all i could catch was the little 2-3 inch shad so i now try to take some good bait with me just incase. o ya take a extra net also i prolly lost well i wont say how many i lost dam beavers leave them big chewed off limbs that u cant see until too late. one night around 2 am one allmost crawled right up into my lap we had a starring match for about 5 minutes he finally left me along. i would say i would go with ya but but but :big_smile:at 12:01 am i will allready be there hee hee. ill be the fat guy in brown coveralls come say hi. hey robert i see u live in warnnesburg im just up the road in higgensville with 3 dollar gas maybe we hook up and ride together if ya want . but ya got to get up early hee hee.

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds like fun Robert, never have fished there. Jim and I have talked about it several times, would like to try it. I take it that they have it closed during duck season? Whats the bank like there to fish from, any special gear we need, do you need to make long casts?

17. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I dont know about the 1201 am scott ,i thought 5 am ,but we will have to see

18. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    troy no special gear ,but you might want to bring something to drag your gear

19. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    hey guys i got a friends son that works at thomas hill power plant lake its about 40 minutes north of marshall junction at 65 and I-70 its even better then montrose bigger and man oo man they even have huge crappie and strippers to go along with flatheads and channels. as soon as the weather breaks think im gonna check it out be fun to throw some lures for strippers while we wait for our catfish rods to smash over .. what u guys think ??????

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    well it use to be but the dam broke and the lake is empty all the fished died dog gone it o well most of the lake was only 3 ft deep anyway now they can dig it back out i think its closed for the next 5 years.