Montrose lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by larry again, Jan 5, 2010.

1. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Is Montrose Lake open now and has any body been down yet . I figured I would start clicking on stuff to see if I get it to work .:Happy:

2. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Chris called down there today to check on the ramp. The ranger said it was frozen solid, and the ice was thick on the lake all the way around it. This is the last day for duck hunting there so i believe it is now open for fishing. With all the snow good luck finding the road back to the discharge. I t I think we might be going there. If we do we will either find the road or figure out a way to get the boat in. if you see us stuck come give us a hand would ya! CUZ WE AINT SCCARRDDDD! :gotu:

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    the way this winter is shaping up ,wont be getting a boat in there ,but a person might walk into the channel discharge.

4. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They moved the waterfowl refuge line west and it now includes the discharge channel and cove. Not sure when the refuge ends...at the end of duck season or Feb. 15th like most refuges. Might want to check it before you walk in there.

5. FlatheadDreaming

State:
    Grain Valley
    well this will probably be my last post untili come back from fishing this weekend. I think we are going to try montrose. Ill give you all a report when we get back! One thing I do know is its gonna be cold!!! Hopefully we will have some video for you all, if not that maybe some pictures. Was playing with my camera and when it gets too cold it says it cant record, and with windchills making it feel like -30 that might be a problem. The news said coldest day since 1989, so it sounds like a good day to go fishing to me!!!

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    good luck guys catch us a hawg mc daddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! might see a new state record by theese boys this weekend go gettem !!!!!!!

NOW PLEASE LISTEN TO ME ON THIS 1 OK !!!

TAKE YOUR TIME WALKING IN WITH ALL THAT GEAR AND DO NOT GET HOT AND SWEATY WITH ALL THEM CLOTHES ON GETTING BACK TO THE SPOT ITS A 1/8 TO 1/4 MILE WALK IN SNOW .
    STOP A COUPLE TIMES AND KEEP YOUR BODY RELAXED AND TRY NOT TO SUCK IN TOO MUCH COLD AIR BREATHING HARD ,, YA GOT ALL NIGHT SO DONT HURRY TO MUCH .

have fun guys and shoot some video and pics for sure !!! wooo hooooo

I bet 1 of ya catch a carp on cut shad lol only place ive ever fished and caught carp on cut shad swore up and down I had a big cat everytime .

that tall brown switch grass or what ever it is makes a good fire starter also .,, last year my nephew and me probably clear a half acre of that stuff throwing it on the fire wheeeeew makes a big burst of heat but only for a short time tho .

If ya see a large black object walking in behind ya dont shoot me its not big foot just my fat arse hee hee ...
    :Happy:

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    you all going to montrose ,man its cold ,but i am filling the urge
    When are you going ?

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Plan is to get out there after Morris gets off work at 2 today. Montrose is plan A, La Cygne is plan B. I was scheduled to work today but didnt get off until 10:30 last night, but, I did get the pleasure of personally arresting a murder suspect so it was well worth the 3 hours of tracking in the snow! I took today off so I could get some things ready for tonight. Chris

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Good luck guys. It is going to be dangerously cold, so be careful

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    sure would like to join ya ,but just getting over being sick ,better just get my reels cleaned up and oild ready to go ,fyi you better have a 4 wheel drive ,i have been to montrose fishing with this much snow ,and they donot plow that road ,the road runs east and west with the only a 100 acre corn feild with no stalks to slow the snow ,it will be drifted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  11. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Fished with Morris and his friend Bryce at Montrose last night. They got out there before I did since I had to go to the lake house and get my equipment. I got there about 9. We fished for a while and about 1am Scotty showed up! I ended up catching one small channel cat, and had a nice fish break the line on Bryce's rod. I got tired and ended up leaving about 4:30am, but they stuck it out until noon or so today and said that the carp were biting good and that they had also caught several nice channel cats. I'm going to La Cygne in the morning for a full day of fishing out there. Chris

12. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    hee hee I let the guys get to the lake first and check things out the roads where ok

no really i wasnt gonna go but morris got back to the lake and told me he had a fish take a shad or perch within the first 5 to 10 minutes so man that was killing me not being out with them

called back and told them im comming and bringing a couple pizzas lol I played that for a couple hours and never left the house lol morris and chris would call how close are ya now lmao hey guys im allmost there . and still had not left

then chris called and ask how close are ya i said about 15 minutes away he said cool we will get there same time

so i had to let the cat out of the bag and tell him no i was just kidding lmao

well I couldnt take it any longer I figured by the time i got down they would have everything packed in and a fire going its a good walk back in .

so around 10 pm i got dressed started the truck to let it warm up , made a stop at walmart and got some hot dogs and chips and pop and got to the lake around 12;30 and walked in lol

I swear it was not as cold out as the weather man said it was infact took off some of my clothes it was not bad at all !!!!!

but then again im a fat guy with lots of insulation and hardly ever get cold lmao ive fished at that lake for many years in cold weather all night .

campfire was going and we had lots of laughs shootin the bull action was kinda slow until around
    5 am then it got fun as all get out ,, we caught around 14 or 15 channel cats from 2 to 6 lbs

and caught the hell out of carp lmao man them suckers could fight it was a blast they would run side to side and jump out of the water it was funny and fun at the same time !!!!!!!!

we must of caught around 40 carp from 2 lbs to 8 lbs on little 2 to 3 inch whole shad and cut shad ..

right after i got there we had a bait clicker go off and chris set the hook and it broke the line but he said it was a heavy fish ugggggggg probably the flathead we was after dog gone it ,, OO well thats the way it goes sometimes ..

morris , brice and I stayed until allmost 2 the next day catching channels and carp lmao
    then morris and brice was kind enough to pack most of the gear out on the first trip then came back and we got out the rest as i went out with them !!!! thanks guys pretty darn cool of yas to make it easier on me !!!!!!!

nothing better then catching fish in zero weather with your friends !!!!!!!!

brice was pretty clumbsy tripping and getting tangled up in gear and stuff on the ground lmao morris and me was laughing at him all night ..
    then low and behold i bent over to grab some bait on the ground to rebait and bam i triped and down i went lmao i was like a turtle on my back in the snow lol so they got to laugh at me lol

then before we left even morris got his boots tangled in something and down he went into the snow and coals from the camp fire lmao

too many clothes and beer and lack of sleep i supose for us or from laughing so hard at each other all night long !!!! lol

I got out my hot dogs out around 5 am or so and cooked them over the fire on a stick man that was fun to do again , but i lost 3 in the fire lol my stick would burn and brake or they slid off lol
    man i felt like a kid again last night lol

I had a great time guys it was nice to get a line wet and catch fish !!!!!!!

morris found a dead pelican on the bank and it had a band on its leg ,, that was neat as all get it out he called it in to see when and wheir it was tagged .. I cant wait to find out ..

morris took a couple of pics cant wait for him to postem .

(((((peaches)))) ooops i mean chris left early and missed all the funny stuff lol inside joke lmao
    thanks for all the wood and heater ya packed in tho ((((( peaches ))))
    hee hee

13. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I called over to La Cygne yesterday to check on the ramp conditions and the Park Attendant said the ramp was fine and lake was not frozen. Got up at 3am and headed there only to find that the Park Attendant is a DUMB A** because the lake at the ramp was so frozen you could drive a car on it. So, back home now and still irritated that I wasted a tank of gas to get there for nothing. The park office is right at the ramp so I have no idea how they thought it was fine. Chris

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Man that sucks, the guy was so lazy that he couldn't go and check

15. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    That does suck.

16. FlatheadDreaming

State:
    Grain Valley
    We let all the mud perch ( channel cat) live to see another day, but we decided to start keeping the carp because they were biteing out of controle!!! This picture is alot of them but we had way more if we would have taken reeling them in serious instead of yanking on them as hard as we could to get them to jump out of the water. LMAO, called in the band on the pelican and they are supposed to be sending me some stuff could take up to 4 weeks but ill let you all know about it. Chris you should have called i would have went over there w/ you then we could have cuzzed all the way back home!

Attached Files:

17. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    man that sucks big time chris !!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr would of peeeeed me off also

earlier in the week I was thinking of trying it this comming week..

man come on heat wave and unthaw everything !!!!!!!!!!

at this point i would be happy to catch even turtles out of a boat

18. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody wanna go up to montrose tonight? Thinkin bout heading that way in a little bit. Pm if anyone wants to go.

19. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Morris you should have chunked them carp up and froze them for bait. The freeze a lot better than shad. They are good bait. Would have given you some varity along with the shad.

Tom

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    thought i would share this for the guys that walk in

the lake is up and only around 15 feet of bank left maybe not even that much to fish the hot water channel next to the fence , also not as much current as usual comming from the plant 2 oz sinkers would even hold ok .

but ya know how that can change