Monticello Trip 10-17-09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catmandosimpsonville, Oct 13, 2009.

1. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK this is mine and NICK81 first trip to Monti and I need advise. Where to put in. Some good starter spots for BIG blues. and where to catch the bait. yea yea not asking for much huh?:cool2:
    I have heard it is best to catch the bait elsewhere before going to Monti. TRUE?
    Also, drift near and aroudn the "BIG" island is what I have been told.
    I plan to go to Greenwood on Friday and do the do with the bait.
    ANY help will help. Help a BOC Brother out.

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it is best to get your bait somewhere else no cast nets allowed there

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I not stating that this is wrong, but I just can't find it anywhere.

I found this on Herring on the DNR site.
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/licenses/pdf/HerringFY2010.pdf

The title states:
    Summary of Laws for Commercial Herring Fishing with Legal References
    2009 – 2010

What it has in it for Monticello is this:
    Lake Monticello- no closed season, no time restrictions, cast net and hook and line only. No take limit.

SO, if Commercial fisherman can use a cast net why not anyone else.

Also Found this under Nongame fishing:

Shad/Herring
    To take shad for recreational purposes by hook and line, cast net, or skim
    bow net in freshwaters a person must have a freshwater fishing license.

Prohibited Areas
    No nongame fishing devices of any kind may be used in SCDNR-managed
    lakes (as listed on page 15), or waters within Game Zone 1, except in Lakes
    Hartwell and Keowee and Twelve-Mile Creek.

I've never fished Monticello and would take bait with me if I did. I saw a post on here before where someone had talked to a Wildlife officer on Monty and asked about cast nets. His reply was if you catch a game fish in it it must be released. Honestly, I like to see in rules and reg booklet rather than he said she said. If its illegal, its usually in there. I can't find it.

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I dont know for fact but I have always been told no castnets in monty I would play it safe an get bait else were I am going to do some research on this

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    1st of all the cast net deal has been debated for a long time now,As of this year it is ok to use cast nets.
    If you use the Hwy 99 ramps be careful,one of them has a chunk of concrete broken off at the end of it,when they have the water pulled down you can tear a trailor up real fast,I read where they have been dropping the water lower than normal in the last few weeks.Here is a quote from Chris Simpson on some work being done in the near future:

The highway 99 ramp and park (upper ramp) will be closed from October 19th thru the 25th.I spoke with the lake manager a few weeks ago while he was measuring the parking lot.He stated that they are more than likely gonna re-do the whole parking lot.I told him that the boat ramp is in real bad shape and it needed attention bad.He acted a little surprised and went down and looked at it but I didnt get his final thought.I just hope he seen how bad it is and it will be taken care of while they are doing this other work.

Keep in mind, even if you can use the hwy 215 ramp at low levels..... they may still let the water down alot farther than normal during that week to fix the ramp and that may cause bad problems because there want be another ramp to go to.End Quote

Just use caution if you go out and they start dropping the water real good,keep in mind you may have trouble loading up.Also keep in mind the wind at Monty can be real bad and the water get real bad fast,Monty sits up on a hill so its always a good 5-10 mph or more worse than anywhere else.

As far as the fishing goes,October is one of if not the best months to fish Monty.Drifting the deep water{70-110 feet} from the last island to the Plant should be picking up good,Anchoring on Humps and ledges should pay off too in 30-60 feet,Just remember Monty is full of timber in alot of areas.
    As far as bait I would use in order:Cut White Perch,Gizzard Shad and Bream.Those will be your best bets,Herring will work but the eater size fish will get your bait before Big Boy can get a smell.Alot of folks are fishing for suspended fish down there now too with downlines and Free lines,you can load up on eaters that way.
    You can take you a Sabiki Rig tipped with Red Worms and usually catch all the perch you want or you can use a 1/4 oz jigging spoon.
    Hopefully some of this info will get you stared good.Make sure you give us a report when you get back.

6. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I will be there the 17th at 7am if you would like to meet up? OK well people say that you can't use a cast net there.... Wrong information I run 5kw gen with 4 400 watt MH lights with two people throwing cast nets..... SO just pm me man...

7. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    SCcatfishing,

I sent you a PM on the trolling motor and Monti. I would like to meet up at the landing on Saturday. which one? Let me know and THANKS to all for the informaiton. I am sure it all will help my fiirst attemps and this new lake. I plan to fish it similar to the lower lake at Santee. The deep water during the winter is when I do a VERY slow drift with 2 10ft socks out even in a small breeze.

8. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    Larry,
    I know you fish Monti a lot, do you catch bait, buy herring or what?
    Curious minds want to know.....:smile2:

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Jim,

I always take my bait with me. Either shad or herring, or both. I buy it from Scott Hartley at SC backwoods in Union, on my way down. By the way, I work at Cryovac in Simpsonville.

10. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    LOL I live just across the bridge on the "Wal-Mart" side of Simpleville.
    I know several folks over there as I sell Automation Products. PLC, drives, sensors etc.
    You know K King or A Jones? :cool2:

11. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yea, I'm afraid so. I might have met you, I work in engineering \ maintenance. Do a lot of electrical design work.

Steve

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    SCE&G control the lakes and DNR helps out.

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all the Monty info Marty. Off 99 the good ramp is next to the peer, the outside one is broke. They also said the one at the 215 landing was broke off on the end also. Last time i was there i had to use that ramp in the cove. I didn't think the cove was large enough to turn my boat around to pull up on the trailor but it was barley. I'm glad the water was deep enough cause if it hadn't been i would had to stay till the water come back up. I hate to hear they will be droping it like that in the future:sad2:

14. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I have launched my old 20 foot boat, a 17:wink:ft alum and a 24ft and a 22ft toons on the outside lane at 215 ramp.... After you launch there so many times you know where to stop the trailer.... On the 24ft toon we do the rope and the breaks she will slide right off then pull the trailer out with no issues....