Monticello 11/08 - Biggest 13 Pound Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by pop pop, Nov 8, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Bruce and I fished Monty today to do battle we hoped with some monster blues. We ended up doing battle with what seemed like gail force winds.:crazy:Drifting slow enough was crazy:crazy:. A 10ft drift sock and back trolling wasn't enough. But we still had a great time and enjoyed lots of laughs.:big_smile:We ended with 12 total and the biggest was 13lbs.:big_smile: All in all not to bad for "Deadliest Catch Monty Style".

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like you guys are a little hardcore yourselves, pop pop. :crazy::wink::crazy:
    BB in SC

3. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    Yea, it was a real windy day. I tried drifting too and I couldn't slow down. So I decided to anchor back in a cove away from the wind. I caught 9 fish total. 1 10lb., 2 12lb., 1 30lb., and had a real good one get off, the other 5 fish were small. Pop Pop it was good to meet you and Bruce, today. Thanks for all you'lls help.

4. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I took my father and brother down to Monty also. We fished 3 hours Friday evening and caught 5 small ones. Spent the night in Newberry and got back on the water this morning and ended up with 10 more today biggest being 12 lbs. We got out of there about noon today even though the bite was real good for us from 10am to noon we just couldn't take any more of that wind. I had 4 drift socks (6', 7', 3', 3') out and my pontoon still wouldn't drift under 1 mph hardly.

If anyone ever wants to spend a night or 2 around Monty on the weekend the Americas Best Value Inn about 18 miles fro the lake on hwy 34 beside I-26 has a fishermans rate on the weekends for $57. During the week its about $40 I think. I thought that was a pretty good price for a nice room with fridge, coffee pot, microwave, cable tv, wireless internet, 2 beds. Apparently they have lots of Bass fishing guests fishing tournaments on Lake Murray and I seen some of them asking about the fishing rate and they offered it to me also. They have plenty of parking for boats also.

All in all we had a real nice trip and really enjoyed it. We might do the same thing in a couple weeks for an overnight trip. If anyone wants to join us just let me know.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Tommy, It was good to meet you as well.:big_smile: Congrats on the big'un:wink:
    Beware Tommy! Them big'uns might keep you from striper fishing.:wink: You might find yourself becoming a dedicated Catman to the bone!:wink: Ask Bruce!:smile2:

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jimmy Johnny, Buddy the Wonder Dog and I also braved the infamous Monty "tropical breeze" today! We worked hard to put 8 fish in the boat; some would call them "dinks", and some would call them "dinner". Regardless, all of them were released to grow up and attend Catfish College. It's really great to be on the water and be able to shout out to other BOC members that you know.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Guys, I aint sure if I have wind burn or sunburn yet, either way it looks good on me, LOL .

I've lived in SC for around 9 years and this was my first trip to see the lake . I wanna give to special thanks to our bro's , first to Pat.....for taking me and giving it your all out there. I think you did one hell of a job out there and I'm always honored to be asked to fish with ya......Thank you Sir for the great day.

The next person I wanna thank is Bruce......

Ya see, not many folks know this but during this week I kinda had a misfortune. I was bank fishing along with my dog and my truck got knocked out of 4wd when my pit jumped in the truck...well my truck went a rolling towards the lake. I about killed myself standing behind it trying to stop it. I was finally able to cut the wheel and get the brakes on the truck, she stopped about 3' from the shore , in the silt and clay....burried to the frame . I had to dig it out and build a road with my firewood to get it out. I was alone, at night ( 2am ) , freezing and stuck ..... Luckily I've got a lot of experience playing in the mud back home in Florida and was able to get it out in the first shot....took me a hour , LOL . Well when I got it out I then realized my rods were all behind my truck and they all got smashed to nothing. My Abu 7000ihsn cost me a pretty penny and it was my pride and joy. I told Pat that if my house caught on fire and everyone was out safe I would run back in to get that reel......Ive been bummed out ever since because my fishing was now done since I have no rods and there is no chance of saving money to buy new ones.

So here I am at Monty and Bruce and pop pop pull up next to Pat and I . Well Bruce said he got wind about my reels being ruined . He then reaches into his boat , grabs a rod and reel ( bait runner ) , hands it to me and says , "here ya go , it's yours ". Now I must remind you that I have never personally met Bruce until that day yet he helped out a brother when in need. .....

Bruce.....thankyou so much ! Out of my misfortune came brotherhood . It just reminds me how blessed I am to be among such great people....and its the good Lord that makes it all happen .

I would also like to thank Bambu and Pat for both offering me equipment without hesitation at all . I honestly didn't wanna tell anyone what happened to me. I was embarrassed and if folks thought it was funny I would have gone nuts on them . To my amazement not one single person thought it was funny and everyone that knows me was shocked and upset for me ....they just know how much cattin means to me...Besides my family and friends...it's everything to me .

Sorry my post was so long but I just wanted to share my brotherhood story out in the open with everyone .

I do wish I had more time to meet up with you other folks that fished Monty with us yesterday . I've spent many a hours on the water with Pat and pop pop and I hope to do the same with you folks also .

Maybe next year I will have the confidence to invite you folks to Hartwell and put yas on some nice cats . I've been working hard at learning my lake and it will pay off in the near future .

Thanks guys, be safe ,and God Bless.....

JimmyJonny

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Jim, I just got home from a marathon on Santee with two "fine fellas" that I met and be friended right here on the BOC! Imagine that?:roll_eyes:
    I am sorry to hear of your tragic loss! I'm sure if I hadn't been up for the last 52 hours fishing I would not have giggled. I just imagined the incident, from the understanding that all ended well, and my soggy mind was flooded with all the stupid and dangerous things I have been a part of.:crazy:
    WAIT!!!
    We had one this weekend as a matter of fact. :eek:oooh: It involved cooking a $6000.00 insuline pump and being HOURS from any bandaid station and NEEDING insulin! VERY SCARY, and it wasn't even me! Bearfrog1 is alive and will fish another day!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I too would like to help!! I have been buying 1000's of rods and reels over the years and selling them on e-bay and such. I also took FULL advantage of the Shakespeare "yard sale" every spring in Columbia at the fairgrounds. I cried when they said, last year was "the last one.":sad2::confused2: YES, it's really over!!:sad2: Anyway, I have quite a collection of rods and reels and would be happy to donate whatever you need! :smile2::smile2: Let me know.

P.S. Sorry it was only a little giggle and grin, I'm delerious! :wink:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great stories brothers, sounds like a great trip

10. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Jimmy Johnny, It was about this time last year my friend that we put the Smackdown on some fall G-wood channels.:wink: Give me a week and we'll do it again. What ya say?:wink: Its been way to long since you fished with Ol' Pop Pop!:wink:

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Sounds good to me pop pop !! Let me know when your ready and we will make it happen, I've done warned the wife and it's all good . I agree...it's been way to long ; )

-Jim-

12. Mrs. Sunbird

Mrs. Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run, SC.
    Come on Jim, take some! Our bedroom looks like a tackle shop!

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    LOL , I thank you but I have one spinning reel that's mine now and two others that I borrowed from a friend . Worst case scenario is that I wait until tax time next year and start buying bait casters again . I would rather see those rods go to someone else that might need them to fish cause what I have will work just fine ......again thanks for the offer ; )

-Jim-

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    :embarassed::embarassed:!!!!

I need a "MAN CAVE"

15. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I know were to find a Wussie Cave!!! You might cook something in there that cost big $$$$$$$.:confused2: Sorry bearfrog but had to bring the wuss out to play. lol

16. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    You've got one. It's just full of crap right now. LOL!