Montana Fishing

Discussion in 'MONTANA RIVER TALK' started by Night Owl, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Night Owl

Night Owl New Member

State:
    Montana, (Billings)
    My friend Chris And I Fishing On The Yellowstone River 2-16-07

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Montana is beautiful country! Those Rocky Mountains to me are so beautiful! You live in God's Country! We welcome you wholeheartedly!!!:smile2:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I was stationed in Great Falls for 5 years, but all I ever fished for in Montana was trout.

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I lived in Troy until i was in 2nd grade. We used to fish the Kootnei (sp?) alot for trout.

5. Whiskeyriver

Whiskeyriver New Member

State:
    WA
    The wild and scenic MO has some nice catfish that are hardly ever fished for.

6. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Never been that far west ,but hope i can make it sometime!

7. Night Owl

Night Owl New Member

State:
    Montana, (Billings)
    There was supposed to be a video attatchment with some cat footage...oops.

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Love montana my home state and always will be. Miss it but the wife wont go any farther north and i wont go any farther south so i am stuck in ks. Oh well, I go to mt to elk hunt along the missouri breaks. So i get my mt fix every now and then. Still have alot of family in mt. I get back there evry now and then when i can afford to go back or the out of state elk tag.

9. wrestler126

wrestler126 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anybody have any target catfish in your river systems? This must be an underutilized species out there.

10. doublehaul

doublehaul New Member

State:
    Wyoming
    The flows on the yellowstone are high, water should come down soon and we should see some awesome catfishing start up!@!!!!

11. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    The cats here in the Sun River and the Missouri River are small, most hangout in still waters and just put a nitecrawler piece on the #10 hook let it float down stream a few feet, and you got one.
    Great Falls is where I am located. By the marina there is a pool where you can catch a cooler full in a matter of minutes.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Marina? Great Falls? Talk about changes! When I was there, there weren't enough boats in the whole area to call it a marina, even if they were all brought together in the same place. Most of the time when I fished below the falls, I didn't even see another fisherman.

13. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    It's called Whitebear Island Marina, on Lower River Road going out towards Eden, just before Trailer Terrace, just around deadman's curve.

14. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    Speakin of the Rainbow Dam, or was it black eagle dam.. LOL.. that old camaro still lays upside down, down there.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I fished below both of those dams. I remember once, I got so busy fishing that time got away from me and I had to ride my motorcycle across the railroad bridge to get back in time.

16. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    You must be talking about the one on Central West. That train bridge is now a foot bridge for tourists. The Old Milwaukee Depot used to have passenger cars sitting there until around 1985 I believe.(that was just on the east side of the bridge.) I will have to go take a few pics and post. The once river drive that went under the two bridges, kept getting flooded out, so a small detour up to the main road, then down back onto the road to broadwater bay. Broadwater, I fished a couple times, and got nuttin but suckers, and one native trout and one hatchery raised rainbow.
    No cats over there that I could remember. Under the 6th St SW bridge over by Dicks Trailer Park, (now dicks rv camp) has plenty of tiny cats. The water has become very murky, and unsure now if there are any good ones left in there due to the beacon bar party goers.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I was there in the early 70s, all I fished for was trout.