Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a text from a buddy on Friday afternoon that his partner couldn't make a tourney on Saturday morning. After a quick text to the best wife a guy could dream of having, I responded that I would indeed be able to make it to DC and be ready to fish by 7 am.

Launched out of Ft. Washington to an absolutely beautiful sunrise, dead calm just caught the last couple minutes of the incoming tide and started catching fish right off the bat.

We fished HARD all day, caught probably 25 or so blue cats. The tournament is a 2 fish weigh in, so it isn't a numbers game, you only need 2 fish, but they better be BIG.

We ended up getting pretty lucky and catching a 39# early in the day, but then we struggled all day with small fish until sometime around 12 or 1 o'clock, I finally tied into a solid fish and after an impressive battle, I boated my biggest catfish to date, weighed 51.2 # on the tournament scales.

We had a 2 fish limit of 90.2# and were still 3# out of top 3!!! TOUGH CROWD!

My phone died so I didn't get as many pics as I would have liked, but the first place team was at 115# and some change, they had a 70# TOAD of a catfish, second place was an impressive 114# and change, third place was at 93# and we were right behind at 90#.

All in all, had an awesome day on the water, bunch of great guys, great fishery and great weather, can't beat that!!!

My partner for the tournament has a youtube channel called "Flatty Daddy's" he will be posting a video of our day once he has time to edit the footage. I'll drop a link once its up, but if you have never seen his channel, check him out, he's a great guy and puts out some really good content, both blues and flatheads.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Herb, he's got great content! Jumpmaster, you are right about impressive numbers!!! That place never ceases to amaze me with the quality of fish that come out of there on a consistent basis!

I was actually kind of surprised that we were as close to 3rd as we were!!

Guys at the ramp were talking about a 94# that someone had caught the weekend before! That Is world class blues in anyones book!

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,802 Posts
yes sir, me and my wife fished it about 4 years ago and caught a 52, and 62, within 30 min. of each other. I know they have been letting the cf's take a lot of fish out, and figured the size would start dropping, but from what your saying that isnt the case.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
I have fished the Potomac several times over the years and know it to be a well kept secret. I would put it in the top three locations in the East for cats.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jumpmaster, I have definitely heard a lot of people talking about the CF Impact and have heard people say that the big fish aren't as plentiful as they once were.

I'm not familiar enough with the fishery in a long term way to be able to say much on that. From the limited knowledge I have about the bluecats, it seems that they reproduce in insane numbers and have a shorter lifespan than flatheads.

There Is quite a bit of conflicting info about them in the Chesapeake watershed. One report says they live 9-10 years on avg. The next report says in some rivers it takes them 15 years to reach 5 pounds, etc. The amount of info is severely lacking.

The reality is that I think MD and VA are both guilty of not doing nearly enough research on these fish. Both states appear to be making knee-jerk, reactionary moves about the issue of these fish invading their waterways and the end result is likely to be bad for everyone.

I don't know a good answer to the problem, money is always the issue, long term studies are expensive. The CFs are catching and selling fish to an unsuspecting public, while those same fish have consumption warnings listed.

Definitely seems like mismanagement will eventually end up hurting the fishery (if it hasn't already) but all that being said, you can still go catch some big fish in the Potomac!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts