monsters in coffey lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by rwg, Jan 29, 2010.

1. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Saw a deal in the news last nite that they found a 5/6 foot aligator dead in coffey lake this week. I wonder what you catch them on?

2. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    BURLINGTON - Wildlife officials are trying to find out how a dead alligator wound up in a lake in east-central Kansas.
    A fisherman found the 64-inch-long alligator Wednesday in Coffey County Lake near Burlington. The lake supplies water for the nearby Wolf Creek Nuclear plant.
    State wildlife officials say they have no idea how long the reptile had been there.
    Invasive species coordinator Jason Goeckler says it's illegal to release an exotic species into the wild in Kansas.
    Goeckler says he hasn't heard any reports of alligators in Kansas for several years. The farthest north the animals typically are found is southern Arkansas or extreme southeast Oklahoma.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Why would any one want an alligator for a pet? Idiots.:beat-up:

4. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    To keep the neighbor kids in their own damn backyard.

5. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    my dads friend from work swears there is a gator at hillsdale lake, he used to live down in louisiana and says i know what they look like and i know what i have seen, he used to fish the lake alot, but since he has seen this twice he wont go back.... i have also heard there are pirannah in lacygne lake...anyone ever catch any of them? they say the hot water can keep them alive

6. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Kyle, when I was in college back in the60's, one of my roomates was from Louasinna, he came back from spring break with a 3 foot gater that we kept in the bathtub in our apartment, we would go in with a clothes hangner and gethe gater to bite and put him in the clothes hamper, clean the tub and take a bath. One nite the gater bit my roommate on thehand and that as the end of our pet ga:bulgy-eyes:ter

7. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    wow.. the 60's wish i was alive.. sounds like it was a good time to live in =P seeing as i do some pretty stupid things, putting a gator in the tub would have been on the top of my list

8. dlsloan

dlsloan Member

State:
    Kansas
    there was an alligator found in lake shawnee a couple of summers ago if my memory serves me right

9. goosed

goosed Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    There was an alligator shoot and stuffed in the lake at Loch Lloyd country club.

10. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    are you guys in kansas drinking lol

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I know of a couple farm ponds North of winfield that have a few gators in them. Up the road a few miles from my dads we use to go fish for bass and crappie in these and the owners told us to becareful cause they were in there. We thought this older couple were crazy un til we heard my dad and uncle yell holly $*%t I got a alligater on here. In my uncles little bass buster boat, to grown men acting like to girls that seen a mouse floated over to the bank where mt cousin and I were fishing and sure eenough with a 1oz spinner bait in its snout there was a 4ft gater. We packed up and went back to the farm and called it day. We never fished there again and it was kind of tough going down to the Walnut to fish for awhile after that.

12. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas