Monsters at the bottom of dams? who's buyin into this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by STALLIONDUCK, Apr 27, 2009.

1. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i personally dont believe it, i believe theres some big ones but none that "divers could walk into their mouths like caves" maybe 200 lb. max but no 1500 pound beast

2. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I believe. Dams are a perfect habitat. Hardly fished, deep water, lots of cover, and thats where the food stops at if its above the dam and with the ones that have deep water below the dams they kill/stun alot of food for the catfish. And I'd consider 200 pounds a monster. Fish could eat really well and grow very fast. And who hasnt heard the stories of fish as big as men in those waters.

3. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    u make a good point but ime still sketchy on the whole "cave mouths" but i would never doubt that a 200 pounder would live down there, but the thing that needs to be brought up is, who the h*ll is gonna go and catch one of those mothers lmao i dont have the spine to do it:smile2:

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe that guy on the "River Monsters" show on animal planet...

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Id sure like to give it a try. :eek:oooh:

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    when i catch one at a dam that big ill believe it.But i do love that river monsters show,i hope you will be able to buy those eventually cause id like to have them.

7. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i love that river monsters show too. i watched it last night when he did the Wels catfish and that was really cool but the one he caught was actually really small compared to most of them

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Urban legends....that sums it up. Google it..it's everywhere.

I lived on the east coast from NY to Florida and everywhere I've been there is the same EXACT story. The other story you hear is the giant turtle the size of a Volkswagen.If there is one I bet Bigfoot can catch him with the help of a few aliens, LOL.

There might be a few giant cats in certain dams but every dam has the same story about divers..bla, bla, bla.... I don't buy it for one second.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well young man i fish with some riggs set up for the miss river . i was fishing pickwick damn 1 time when i hooked into a fish right beside the far gate which was running now this fish started peeling line towards the gate with no stop. i locked my dragg and you could here the 80 lb big game streching . then crack my poll broke but i still fought to pull it back toward me .well it never turned just kept pulling and this was a fish not hung up or another angler tangled .after about 5 minutes of streching my line it was over a straight hook . i often wonder what it was . i dont think it was 1,500 lbs but it was larger than my river riggs could handle

10. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    finally somebody whos comin from the same point of view as me lol

i dont believe them, but they make for great reading material lmao

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Jim ,You beat me to it,I have fished several different lakes in many different states. Allways the EXACT SAME STORY. almost word for word. I don't believe it for a second.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got this farm pond 15 miles West of the Mississippi in Iowa. About an acre, 18 feet at the tops. One day I was snagging brush out the pond with a bale hook tied to a 3/4 inch nylon rope. I threw over a branch and WHAM!!!! this fish, like Jaws, grabbed that bare hook and headed for the bottom. I had my diesel tractor hooked to that hook and rope with a good sized clevis.

That fish took the slack out that rope and it tightened up like a pull cable on a D8. Crack, bang, it parted like a string on a kite.

I am almost a 100 % certain that fish walked over from the lock and dam at Bellevue. It probably got run out by a bigger fish. It is still out there boys. Those of you got the equipment come and get it. I won't go close to that pond anymore.

13. Richmond River Rat

Richmond River Rat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was grabblin around the james river and I was under water checkin holes.(wearing goggles) When I was on my rise to the surface something caught the corner of my eye and I swear I saw a tail roughly 1ft or 1ft 1/2 tall waving away into the deeper side of the river. at first i was glad that beaver left me alone until I got in the boat and realized that when beaver swim thier tail goes in a up and down motion and not side to side. scared me s**tless and that was the end of my day. I ended up seeing the monster again fishing from the bank roughly 50 yds away from the first time. he was skimming the top of the water until i stood up and he took off leaving a wake the size of a bass boat........

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Dams have been around a long time, and, like a lot of you , I've heard the same old "incredible" stories..
    Show some evidence,,,, pics, fish,, otherwise,,,, It was amusing the first time, to hear.

15. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ya know I find it easier to believe that there are big cats at dams or any other super habitat than I believe in Champ, the jersey devil, Nessi, bigfoot, yeti, thunderbirds, and whatever else we hear about. I'd like to put some of the technology used to look for champ and nessi to use and look for these cats.

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    yet lets tell the old familiar story for I have some semiserious questions;

in about a dozen subtle variations it goes like this. 'Divers from the dam operations are sent to the bottom of these big dams to conduct preventative maintenance. There is the distance is some HUGE but catfish; much larger than anything ever caught that scares the bejeezers out of the guy'

My major question is where are all these supposed scared divers. Do they have a support group 'Scared Divers anonymous'? Maybe management just sends down guys they figure have slept through one too many shift and they're determined to get rid off.

And for that matter how many times does the typical dam operations ever really send down the 'divers' to the base of the dam?:confused2: Isn't this a little dangerous? there's strong currents right? what would they be doing - painting, patching holes??? Sometimes the story goes that they are doing surveys which is a better story; but still wouldn't truly this be strictly done by camera...

and if these cameras really did see catfish the size of volkswagens or minibuses- how come the internet isn't ripe with them??

Lets see, mysterious anonmymous scared divers; no photographs and the same supposed story for nearly every dam (navigational or hydroelectric) throughout the country; classic urban legend. They're prolly ripe (and untrue) catfish stories about dams that DON'T even have catfish.

17. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think that there probably are some really, really big cats sitting at the bottom of these dams. I doubt that any of them are "the size of a Volkswagen," but that's how these things go. Some diver says they saw a big catfish. He tells somebody, and that guy exagerates the story a little. The people who hear the story exagerate it even more.

A gal I used to date is a fisheries biologist. She was working with a DNR survey crew at Lewis & Clark Lake, on the Missouri River near Yankton, SD. She showed me a picture of her, on the boat, with a 103# blue cat that they caught directly below the dam. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. It looked a lot different than any other blue I've seen. It was just really fat, not at all streamlined like other cats. She said the DNR figured that it had been sitting down there, in the same spot, for years. It just never moved, because it didn't have to... the food just came to it. And if you hooked it, you'd probably just think it was a snag.

She also said that the stories of 300# monster cats are pretty much baloney. Maybe 150# (and even that's a long shot), but not the stuff you hear about from "a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy."

But it's still fun to think about, isn't it?

18. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    My neighbor for many yrs growing up was a Lake patrol. He was the scuba man......i have seen 100lb fish....more than 1:wink: hanging up for a "special"-political fish fry....:wink:He said he has seen them 150lb range...The Arkanssas record for gar came from Dardnelle right below the dam 200+lbs (rod & reel) There is a few left...so yes i believe there is a 150lber somewhere:smile2:

19. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I dont belive it, With as many people having thoses aqua view cameras seems like someone would have a pic by now...:wink:, but I do think the record fish is out there 150 to 175lb range,,,
    Puddle

20. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well another hallmark of a good yard; is that it supposedly happens all the time yet when someone seriously studies the story, they find nothing.

in this vein; I present to you Chestor Moore of Texas Fish and Game whom tried to find one; his experience is found athttp://www.fishgame.com/HowTo/ViewArticleEntry.aspx?categoryid=3&articleid=804

and this is a Tough nut to crack; How exactly do you disprove this 'legend'... is always some vague assertion about 'huge catfish' and some poor scuba diver thats Now scared out of his wetsuit cuz of a catfish...

well; googling for 'scared scuba divers' has brought me no enlightenment:smile2:... and anyone scuba divers are a strange lot... half of them are secretly hoping to be the guy in a flimsy cage as someone topside chums a school of great white sharks to a mindless feeding binge.

the fact is that this asserian of big catfish below dams are found in ALL the major urban legend sites;like snopes, urbanlegends.com,etc. Half of them have emails where someone silly has attached some picture of a European trophy wels cat.

but like I said; how do you disprove it exactly:confused2:...yes divers see some awfully big catfish. a 100# catfish is a HUGE fish! also there are alligator gars (280#), Lake Sturgeon (200#), White Sturgeon (1500#!) and Paddlefish (198#)* that go even bigger than this.

(all weights taken from wikipedia; which hopefully are accurate)