Monsters are ready to go!!!

Discussion in 'MONSTER ROD HOLDERS' started by restorerancientiron, Oct 2, 2009.

1. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Alrighty got a weekend off and got the new monster rod holders ready to rock.I designed a new rod rack sytem that I can adjust off the back of the boat for any situation.I have four mounted off the back but can put up to nine if needed.The main bar is seven feet long to match the width of my boat.I used the 33/45 monster DA on the back.I built the frame from 6061 2" aluminum.I used steel inserts so the threads will hold almost as good as these great rod holders.I can adjust the angle by a single allen wrench on each side.I havea 8" inch upright in the pics but can also swap these out with 16" and 24" when and if needed.Still need to get on the water and find what I like best as far as height.I also mounted four of Steve's 0/33 degree DA series up front for drifting.Will be adding more to go with them.I will try and posts pics if you have any questions or other info drop me a p.m. always happy to help out.

Attached Files:

2. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    More pics of the monster drift and anchor rack.The only part I did any custom maching was on the lower post mounts , simply turned a four inch billet 6061 to make a post so I can remove if needed.Also worth noting is these monster rod holders would be great for all those crappie anglers pulling those jigs/crankbaits.By the way don't feel sorry for the three legged jack russel/rat terrier mix.Trigger is faster than a snake and twice as mean.:smile2:

Attached Files:

3. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Last ones , I also mounted a base like the one in back up front for crappie spider riggin and also for drifting catfish.I have owned and made several rod holder/rack systems but none of the holders compare to these monsters.I can already see the great advantage of being able to get the rod out quickly and easily.Also please if you have any ideas or changes I need to make please post.If you live anywhere near the Land between the lakes area and want to go test em out sometime shoot me a p.m..

Attached Files:

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    exellent work dennis! now thats the best looking rack ive seen!

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Looks like your ready to go on the hunt for some Monsters!!! Looks good man

6. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Thanks alot I appreciate that.I wanted it to match your rod holders, tough but simple.I have built several types and I know this is by far the easiest to adjust and simple to install.I also know itr is tough enough to use as a ski bar if I wanted to.lol

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Looks GREAT! The adjustable bar is a nice touch.:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dennis thanks for sharing the pics of your rod rack system. I agree with Steve it is the best I have seen. You do great design work. Appreciated.

9. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ill take one

10. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Thanks everyone for the support.I am lucky to be a tool and die machinist and a tight wad.I even built some rod holders but was never pleased.I could not improve upon the monster rod holder design.They were everything I was looking for.I am always trying to make something better as you know it is impossible to find a sturdy,simple rod rack system that is not real expensive or worthless.Also if you have any ideas for improvments let me know.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    that is one fine looking rod holder. If you don't mind can you tell me what you used and where you got it. I need a rack for my monsters as well and that looks like one fine rack.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well done brother....they look really good on the back like that....

13. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I will get a build list and post it for everyone.

14. billyballard

billyballard New Member

State:
    Dugger,Indiana
    That looks great... I would like to build one like that...

15. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The bar being adjustable is handy , but when steve at Monster rod holders gets his triple plays available for the market , I will upgrade to them.When you tilt it down if your outbound holders are set out very far then you get into a compound angle.So if you tilt it to be at zero degrees and move it past 15 degrees to the outside of your boat you start to loose the depth of the rod holder.The triple play models have three settings on them 0-33-45 so you could still adjust and swing it to the outside as much as you want.I just wanna thank Steve and Monster rod holders for making a great product.

16. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was wondering since the rod rack is able to adjust angles by a simple allen wrench then how well will they hold up to a heavy slam. what I am trying to say is if all four of your rods gets slammed at the same time is there a chance your rod rack will turn downward, and posibly lose a rod? If not, then what keeps them from turning downward. :confused2:
    I love the rack! Love the Idea!! Would love to make one!!:big_smile:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    NICE rack to go with those fine holders!!

Bill in SC

18. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The clamps are used in industrial applications.They are used to support two hundred plus pound welding fixtures.Also the clamping gap in the knuckle is 1/8 of an inch and that is when it is tight.Two people can't grab the rod holder on each end and get it to turn but I would love to see about six catfish try.I am positive that my tiger would break first.I went out saturday to test them but the wind was rippin and whitecapping so I didn't get to drift any.When I got home I checked to see if any of the bolts were loose and they were still tight.Only time will tell I will keep everyone posted.:smile2:

19. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks, that's all I needed to hear!!! Could you tell everyone where to get the hardware to make there own. Any Info would be greatly appreciated!!:wink: And maybe a step by step how too!! That would be nice!!:smile2:

20. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Nice rod holder rack!!! Mine is almost finished just got to put the final touches on.