Monster vs other rod holders

Discussion in 'MONSTER ROD HOLDERS' started by SGTREDNECK, Jan 15, 2010.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I installed 6 monster rod holders 0 degree and 6 other rod holders on my boat the other day. And within 20 min of finishing i had broken one of the other rod holders. I jumped out of the boat and the rod holder had caught on my pants and it broke off on the stem. The other rod holders are 3/8" and monster are a rock solid 1/2". I know its on an 1/8" bigger but the strength of the monsters compared to the others are unmatched. Steve isn't paying me or giving me a discount(as of now.Just kidding) to say any of this. The other rod holders will hold a rod, but i set my drag loose with them. The monsters I am not scared to tighten my drag and set the rod in there. They are a great product and i recommend them to anyone wanting a rock solid rod holder.

2. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky

3. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Awesome review and thanks for sharing that with us.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    thanks for the heads up on how strong monster rod holders are versus other ones !!!!

everybody ive talked to that owns them say they are the best and very well made ..

again thnxs

I cant wait to get mine and have the best rod holders on my boat .

thanks for makin a bad to the bone product !!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    maybe one of these days ill buy a couple dozen ;)

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    It don't matter how many you buy , you always want more.As far as Monster heads up against the other brands ,IMHO they are the best.They are Monsters , you will not find a stronger holder anywhere.You will not worry about your rod/reel being lost for sure.They work the best , They will hold your rod securely but allow a quick and easy release.I also think they look better than anything on the market as well.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I've catfished 3 times ever on a boat.

All three boats which were SeaArks had MonsterRodHolders!

They worked for me.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Hell yeah !!!! If I was you Jeffro I would order one of each kind for each pole....lol
    They will hold a bass rod also .

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is probably a good thing you didn't get your pants hooked on a Monster rod holder, chances are if you did you would have land flat on you face! The floor doesn't give and neither will the Monster Rod Holders. Monsters are definately the strongest rod holder I have ever seen!

11. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Let's be fair now, theres a big difference in 3/8 and 1/2inch with any rod holder. No doubt Monsters are a excellent rod holder but I think it should be a fair test.

12. Jludtke

Jludtke New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree that the Monsters are built very strong but I like that they are easy to get your rod out of when you have a big bite!!! How many times have you struggled to get your rod out of the holder because a big fish is putting pressure on the butt of the rod? Jerry Cline and I use to struggle with this all the time. I think the difference between Monsters and the compettition is that the Monsters were designed by a Catfishermen for Catfishermen!!!

13. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Daniel your right ,there is a big difference in 3/8 and 1/2in. but there is also a big difference in design of them.You look at 2 side by side and think about it and the monsters are just made better.theres not near as many angles and a lot better contact and joint areas for welding.Im not an engineer but they are just designed better.I dont own any part of either co. but I do own both rod holders and I know which I like and trust the most.I believe you could use 5/16 metal and the same design as the monsters and be better than most others.Thats just my opinion and it aint worth much.lol Also on the 3/8 and 1/2 deal Dont bring a knife to a gunfight.lol

14. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    ALL my rods have cork handles, generally they aren't like baseball bats at the base like foam. I personally despise foam handles. I have never had a problem getting a rod out with a baitrunner and believe me had a few that had the rod tip in the water and clickin.

15. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its even simpler than that.

Steve is here and you can reach out and touch him,"Right Now"...

You can search for alternate solutions and you will find them.

From the Ebay dude busting out wire rod holders to Cabelas to Drift Master.

But, and many cant say this, the Monster Rod Holder is a passion for him, not a product.

His hands were the last one to touch it before you got it, and its his name behind them.

1 Man, 1 Name, Old School American Dream.

I have talked to him many times in the wee morning hours, and know the dude well.

Its about pride and his product, he always strive(s) to make them look better and perform better.

Home town boy makes good, the American Story.

He has my 100% support.

16. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Well Said there Boss, And were else can you get a guarantee for life against failure. That comes from a man who's passion is fishing , with real life experiences to build a better product for the industry. If he was out to be a Fat Cat like Unka Paul, he wouldn't of built a product so durable with a warranty.

17. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    dude i aint scared! what kinda test you want to pull to be fair!

you know like everything else i have introduced to the catfishing market, the monster is a direct result of an excisting product failure, so i build products to my stardards for my use! it just so happens that that other folks like what i do and i have made a businees from it! but i understand i cant please alll, and im not even gonna try!

thanks for the support guys!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  18. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Please don't get me wrong, my only question was comparing 3/8 to 1/2 bases was not a fair test. In the near future planning on purchasing a new boat and setting it up ONCE for the way I fish. I 've used driftmasters with no problem, however, a few of the 3/8 have bent but the 1/2 haven't. I have used Santees and really don't care for them. I have not seen any monsters used here so I'm not going to say either way but I do like the 0/33's from what I've seen on the site.

19. Katfish Kingpin

Katfish Kingpin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    3/8 to 1/2 inch, That's like comparing speed of a 115 to a 250 on the same boat. I am open to everything however Steve you sound not just confident but cocky. Obviously there has been Rod Holder's around for a long long time and most catmen have been using them longer than you have. other companies came up with all the ideas you claim to be coming up with now.Dual angles, triple angles...all thought of before. Other half inch holder's are the same quality as yours. I already know of springs failing in your 360's. I also know I seen a guy jump out of a boat and snag his pants and bend one over at the stem. I also seen a guy take of with a drift sock tied to one and bend it in half. Fact is your Rod holder's are not any better than anyone else's or more unique. But hey, you can say whatever you want.

20. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd be willing to put them to the test. Send me 4 or 5 and I will compare them to my 1/2 Driftmasters. I swear I'll report any problems with any one of them.

Right now I have 9 1/2 inch driftmasters and have had no problem at all. Monster Holders look like they would stand up to the test. If I needed more holders then I would give them a shot.

One thing that I've noticed with my Driftmasters is that on the left or passenger side holders I've had fish hit them hard enough swinging the holder towards the rear of the boat. If there were holders (and there may already be some) that are threaded in the other dirrection (right and left handed threads) this would solve this problem.