Monster Shortnose gar at spring creek tonight

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by Wildchilde01, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Caught a shortnose tonight, no scales but he was 42inches long and 18 around. Caught him on a circle hook with a treble stinger on a dead threadfin. Was fishing for cats in Spring Creek.I believe I hooked into him
    3 times, thrid time is the charm though. First two he got me tangled up on some brush and I pulled up a mess of twigs, line and an empty hook.

Just as me and April where putting up gear she said you got a hit on the penn again. I let it run with it till it doubled over and knew I had a good fish. When he broke water I saw it was a gar and thought I had a decent gator but when I got on the shore I saw a monster shortnose!!

We fished most of the afternoon but only saw 3 fish hit the bank, a small bluegill and a drum, then the gar. After the tussel he put up I was sure ready to go. Catch and release though Marc so the big sucker is in there for ya, was on the west side same place I caught my 90 lb gator gar at.

2. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    To late to edit, but I meant longnose, not shortnose, April had me talking about the different kinds of gar and I had a brainfart

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I was going to tell you that the shortnose record in Texas is only a bit less than 4 lbs and much shorter than yours. Still, if you wanted, you could have entered it to TPWD as a water body record. There are none for
    spring creek.

4. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    My son 13yo caught his first longnose gar in the Trinty river... We used rope lures that we made! I can't believe that the rope lures worked....he caught a total of 4 different gars all over 30 inches long!! He said it was so fun!!

5. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Well thank you Sir.We will have to get together soon and see if we can catch some more. talk to you soon and congrats on the killer fish:big_smile: :big_smile:

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Trinity has monster alligator gar, over 200 lbs. Both In-Fisherman and Field and Stream have done articles on the Trinity gator gar fishery.

7. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hey Ike Been out latly?
    Nothing biting over at Lake of the Woodlands not even the skeeters.:tounge_out:

8. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nope, moved to Jersey village last weekend, I now live on Cypress Creek, well about 100 yards from it. However I broke 2 of my best reels and all I got is my light tackle so I won't be trying for any monsters till I get new reels. Don't have internet at the new apartment yet but can still come to old place to use it and I am housesitting here next week while old roomies are on Vacation.