monster shad!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jmjackson333, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    What's the biggest shad you guys have ever seen/caught/or heard of? This is mine from 2-27 Lake Erie![​IMG]

They were all huge the small one is almost 6 inches.[​IMG]

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    We have caught some big shad, but them dudes are on steroids!!!!!!!!:smile2:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I seen some as big and bigger on the James River in Va.. But, them look like them hogs... I will take a cooler full please!!!!:roll_eyes::smile2: rollo

4. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Denny and I snagged all of those in about 25 minutes! Filled a five gallon bucket! We had to cut the tails off to get them into the 1 gallon freezer bags. My question is...... will they work just as good as the smaller ones as cutbait?

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are wanting smaller pieces, you can fillet the sides off first and cut them, then chunk the middle sections for seperate pieces. Or you can fillet a side off like I like to, then chunk leaving the backside fillet with the middle sections.. Use the heads as well!!! rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well last winter we were catching fish over 50lbs on half of 6 inch shad, seems all the big boys in the winter come off smaller baits. But those things will catch fish just as good as the smaller ones.:wink:

7. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Thanks fellas! I'm gonna go get some more this week! Rollo if you want a cooler full you can sure come along with us. I'm laid off so I'll be going Tuesday and Thursday up to the Power Plant to get my freezer stocked!

8. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    snagged those in 25 min. cool. i'm on lake erie, but so far only getting the 4-6 inchers in my parts. my old man told me 20 years ago those bigguns would get so thick in the maumee that you could snag one every cast. hopefully they still do, waiting for the first big spring rain to find out. m.

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are some monster shad!!!!! I could use a freezer full! PM sent Justin. Get back with me you in muskingum or medina county?

10. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The head of a shad is my favorite bait to troll under a bobber. I hook them through the lips and fish them at various depths and I have great sucess.

11. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If anyone wants to make a deal, I'll take a cooler full of shad for 2 racks of smoked ribs. I just don't have the time right now to go out to the lake and get em!

PM if interested!

12. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    12" is the biggest i've netted @ West branch.

13. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Wow now thats a lot of cut bait!!!:smile2:

14. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    You could almost fallet those and make a smich!!