Monster runs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by adam j, Dec 10, 2006.

1. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    OK, this question is to everyone out there who has caught monsters, 60, 70, 80lb+ cats what is the longest estimated run you have had a cat take? I'm not talking going with a 6 mile an hour spring current just a legit run in a river or lake. Distance, how much line did he take and has anyone had a large cat run all of the line off of a higher capacity reel like a 320gt
    209, abu7000 or9000 or the like. What lb test were you using?

Thanks, adam

2. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Had one take all the line off an abu6500 one time.Had 12lb test and a worm for bait.Ran I don't know maybe 200 foot of line.and nomatter how much I spun the drag tight it didn't even slow down.Just a guest but fish had to go over 50lb's. Not 2 foot from it was my 320gti with 60lb test and live bait,don't think it would have striped the line off it..........Keep ur nose to the wind ur powder dry and ur hull wet

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i had a 20lb or so yellow strip almost all the line from my ultra light. 6lb test and i think 95yrds. Lucky that he was in shallow water and not much places to go!

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Usedta fish right at the sanctuary line below the dam to Lake Moultrie in the Cooerp River tailrace canal. We have caught blue catfish there up to about 90 pounds. Hard to prove it, but we had several that we were sure went right up to the bottom of the dam before stopping, maybe 90 yards. Good thing, cause then we had a chance to work them back and get them to the boat.

BTW - that was on Abu 6500 or equivalent with 15 pound Big Game.

5. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    my $.02

I've caught some 50's, 60's and one that went 72, (blues)and none ever took more than 150' before got it turned. All using 40lb Berkely BG or 80lb SW Stealth on Abu 6500's and 7000's. Also I've never had a fight that lasted over 5-6minutes. I could see a yellow doing more damage though.

......just being honest

6. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Got to reading my post and........it was an older abu 5500 not yhe 6500

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I got a 320LD and I havent got to catch anything on it yet, it was new last year and the fish dont seem to bite on the new combos????weird!! But i dont see a 60#er going too far with it. Got a 45 on a 6600abu and it didnt pull out mutch line maybe 30ft I cought a 30#er last year on an okuma the size of a 209 and it maybe pulled out 5' of 40#mono.

8. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Had a crazy fish on earlier this year in April. I was using an Abu BG 10000 reel with 150lb powerpro. I was fishing from the bank and the bait was out at around 100 yards from the bank. I'm not sure how much line was still on the reel, but it looked more than half left. When I hit the fish it went absolutely ballistic!! It stripped nearly all the remaining line in the time it took my fishing partner to start the boat and get it ready so we could chase after it. The drag was set heavy so I could set the hook at that range and I wound it down even harder as quick as I could when I saw my reel emptying. It wasn't all in one run, but a series of stop-start sprints. Not sure how far each sprint was to be honest - I was too busy trying to stay on my feet! LOL! A lot of cooler water had come down from the mountains, so maybe the oxygen levels were up more than usual. Or maybe he was just in a bad mood! We got the fish in okay in the end - it was just under 160lbs so a great result; it was the battle that made the capture so memorable though. It took a long while to recover before it was strong enough to swim away. It was pretty lean for a fish a hair over 8 feet long - maybe that had something to do with it.

I can't wait to get back on the water :)) Tight lines

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    man id have to upgrade my other r&rs if we had fish like that around here

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i was using 50# tess snaggin for spoons thought i was hung on bottom so i wrapped the line around the rod and walked up the bank in an effort to break the line and what ever i was hung on made a run and kept going i was useing one of my 7k's and it stripped 80 yards of line before before snapping it off i was leaning back so far with my 12' surf bent 90 degreese that when the line broke i was laying on my back . i still dont have a clue what it was .

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Charles that sounds like it coulda been a North Korean submarine lol. If not a very large spoon or cat.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    dont laugh about that submarine jw (dreadnaught ) swears he seen one .

i prefer to think it was the ilusive 300 # flathead iv been looking for . :lol:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I know there's one or two out there. Swimming somewhere and taking peoples tackle as they swim away. We might not have 9ft wels over here but we do have 200 to 300lb flats and 300 to 400lb blues. Man I wish they would import some wels. I can handel a few 200 to 400 lb fish every year.

14. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks everyone for sharing the stories and info.
    Thats the best feeling in the world when you've hooked a good fish and he starts taking line on you. Never had a cat take more than about 60 feet or so with little current, but in the spring at providence dam I've been spooled many times by 30-?lb carp, buffalo, and flats. Of course there is 4-6mph current and they're going with it. I was using 20-30lb line and 5600-6500 c3. Few years ago a guy got a 5 and a half foot 65lb lake stugeon. They reach over 250lbs in lake erie and a few still run up to the dam so...............

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    my biggest run came from my PB fish. It was a striper though..i used to use it as my avatar.

Was on a spinning reel, with either 12 or 14 lb test.

Was bank fishin below a dam, castin a shad type lure into the current seams between generators...everyone has heard the story..thought i was hung up at first...yada, yada and then there was a slow movement downstream. Then my reel starting singin a little, then my reel started screamin...i reached down and grabbed my net and literally started movin as fast as i could downstream....30 minutes later and a few hundred yards from where i had started i got to see the foe at the other end of my gear.

Still remember it like it happened this mornin....best fishin fun of my life.

cyas
    robert

16. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    my longest run was a 18lb flathead, using 8lb test and a shakespere spincast combo, it took 21 minuites to get it, i was fishing a night crawler diped in stick bait for little channels, and about 8ft down the bank my penn 209, was out with a chub on it, wish he would of hit that one