Monster rod holders

Discussion in 'MONSTER ROD HOLDERS' started by Khh27, May 4, 2018.

1. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    First off Please dont take this review badly. After a month of waiting and a bunch of calls never answered and emails I finally got my holders...... first Impression I have to say I dont think I've ever seen anything so thick I believe I will break my gunwale before these things flex. The only thing that let's me down on on the appearance Is the... well... rather shotty job on the plasti-dip. Do any other members have this issue? I mean not a functional problem but definitely an eyesore. Overall the holders themselves should perform flawless I just am rather disappointed in the customer service and fit an finish. I also understand this I a small business and stuff happens I just feel like service could have been handled better or at least some better feedback. View attachment 281997 View attachment 281998 20180504_152117.jpeg

Fate and Zigarro like this.
  2. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    I’m a firm believer of telling it how it is, as long as it is the truth.

I wouldnt be too pleased with that kind of appearance after spending the money that monster’s cost. If you have seen some of steve douglas’ videos on his new warehouse/shop/studio you have probably seen that they dip them in house. I’d bet they just made it out the door without anyone catching the blemishes. Id imagine they are really busy right now.

Don’t have anything to say about the communication, but it is never a pleasant experience to request info before spending your hard earned money and not getting a timely response.

Good luck fishing with your new rod holders.

Nick Welch, Fate and Zigarro like this.

3. chadinsc

chadinsc Well-Known Member

State:
    upstate sc
    Name:
    Chad
    they sure do look strong. but dang the finish on all ten of my ten buck driftmasters is perfect. i would be disappointed also. i hope he emails you soon. he seems like a good guy in his videos.

glimsty, Fate and Zigarro like this.
  4. frevman

frevman Active Member

State:
    illinois
    Name:
    Sean
    I bought 6 monsters last year and Steve shipped them quickly. But I too was disappointed with the job on the plastic dip. I called and mentioned it to Steve and his response was that they hand dipped them and they all come out looking different. I'm used to them now, but was disappointed at first because how expensive they are.

5. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    I run a catfish boat on the river so I'll take functional over looks any day. I can tell you that after owning both driftmaster and monster rod holders that the dip on the monsters holds up better. I can toss my net in a monster rod holder if I do that with a driftmaster then the dip is torn up in a matter of a month or so. If i then use that rod holder for one of my fishing rods it tears up the handle material.

Neither is perfect so I settled on what works best for me. 20180505_045540.jpg

6. frevman

frevman Active Member

State:
    illinois
    Name:
    Sean
    Overall the monsters great for getting a rod in and out of the holder quickly and smoothly due to their design and large size.
    It's possible to do a better job dipping as I recently bought a couple fish bites and the dip job is perfect.
    But the monsters are my holder of choice.

7. Horsehead

Horsehead Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
    I can certainly understand your frustration with communication and with the dip job on your holders. I guess like other folks I just have to give them the benefit of the doubt knowing how much Steve does for the community and how busy he's been in moving production over to a new facility. If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch it.

Just for kicks I went outside to look at my boat to see what my holders looked like. I never really have paid much attention to the finish of the dip. Just like yours, 3 of mine look pretty rough. The other 3 aren't so bad.

I suppose it just comes down to what bugs you and what doesn't. In another thread, reviewing the BCF medium power rod, the poster commented how the guides might not be perfectly straight, but that it wouldn't affect casting, so no biggie. That's a great example of how something doesn't bother someone else, but would drive others crazy. For an $85 rod I would be sending it back (on their dime!) if the guides were not perfectly straight. I can deal with sub-par QC on a $15 Walmart closeout rod (I have tweaked many a guide back into place on just such) but for a rod that cost $100 after shipping, it ought to be the best.

Same goes with the plasti-dip. Clearly it bugs you, and on the other hand, many of us have likely never noticed it. So does it bug you enough to send them back and go with another brand? Only you can decide that.

I will say I absolutely love my monsters. As you've already observed, they are Rock solid. You could probably pull a skier with one! The option of so many different rod positions is great too. And as others have shown, while not pretty as some other brands, the coating holds up better than the competition.

IMG_20180505_074222817.jpg IMG_20180505_074154331.jpg IMG_20180505_074141514.jpg

8. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Kyle I bet Kevin's right- Steve's been struggling to get that new building finished and is even having to make time to do a video here & there, which is why his communication is less than it could be. I do agree that dip job should be better but I smoke cigars and even a $30 Fuente can escape the hands of a torcedor with construction issues now & again.

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I do apologize for the lack of communication, I try my best to answer all calls and emails however with my position in the industry I have a very high volume of emails, PM's and phone call daily, Most folks think I'm a big company however its just me and my wife who do this, I work anywhere from 12 to 16 hours a day to keep up with the orders and I still stay 50-100 orders behind. We have had some growing pain issues with production and our website going down do to the influx of new orders, we are now working on a new website that will handle everything automatically. We have recently purchase a 10,000 sq ft facility to continue to grow the business and hire some help. As far as the finish on these holders, our plastisol supplier has switched formulas on the mix and its taking a bit to learn how the new formula reacts, each one is hand dipped and baked and I never know how they will come out when cured. I try my best to not have the drips but with this new stuff it cures almost immediately leaving these imperfections. However we want our customers to be happy, if you are not satisfied you can return them for new ones or a full refund. Im not trying to give excuses, Im merely explaining my new situation in hopes that folks can understand and be patience through my new transition as I continue grow and support the community.

Thank You
    Steve Douglas

green_neo, Catpaw, SteveMcK and 6 others like this.
  10. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Thanks Steve for that explanation. While I only have six of your holders (ordering a few more soon), the coating on mine turned out fine, and they are very stout and make my buddy's holders look anemic in comparison. Thanks for a great American made product!