Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I’m planning on purchasing a kayak in the near~ish future it will be a sit on kayak for sure probably a ascend or a lifetime Yukon.
Here is the question/deal. I currently have monster rod holders I love them best rod holders out there in my opinion. But I don’t see many people running them on kayaks and I’m not sure why. So I’m looking to see if anyone else is using them on their kayak and if not why?
the cons that I’m currently seeing is their somewhat large (could get in the way)
Their somewhat expensive
Their heavy (kayak is very limited on weight)
The pros are their rock solid
Bonus they work as a tie off to brush
Hold my rods like a rock!
I trust them completely
I already own them
What is everyone else’s thoughts on this? I’m a amateur at kayak fishing I’ve just done some research so I’m all ears!

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,624 Posts
I know nothing about kayaks but I do know that a vicious take down from a big blue will rock my 19’ Alumacraft so I assume a similar take down could tip a kayak over unless the drag was set to give line before that happened. With the drag set that way, a rod holder as stout as a Monster would not be necessary.
Cane makes a very good point about the bases. Any holder is only as good as the the strength of the base and any base is only as good as the strength of the fasteners holding the base to the boat or the strength of the boat itself.
But…… if you already have them and some suitable bases and they’re not so big as to be in the way, they certainly will do the job.

…W

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
We started out with 4 kayaks 12 years ago, now 10 and might add another if the price is right.
Don't need heavy sinkers, a 3/8 to 1 oz will hold the bait pretty good. I use 3/8 and 1/2 oz egg sinkers.
We use 1 lb lead ingots for anchors. Drill a 1/4" hole thru 1 end and tie 20# nylon trotline cord to it. Throw it out and tie the cord onto the kayak. The angle you're fishing can be changed by tying elsewhere. Carry a few extras, can add another if needed or if you get hung and have to break the line. Mostly drift on lakes.
Improve the seat.
Check out outriggers on youtube, DIY. The ones I made will have a green mark around them. The pvc was free, just had to buy the fittings. I used large pool noodle and added exercise mat to it.
There's a kayak DIY group on facebook, mostly adding depth finders and trolling motors.
There's a few state and area kayak fishing groups on facebook..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the big advantage to being able to adjust the angle of the rod holders on a kayak compared to on a boat? Is it because you can’t really lay a rod down when going on narrow water where over hanging tree limbs ect may be in the way?

·
Premium Member
12,325 Posts
I am NOT a kayak owner either but depending on which Monster Rod Holders you have, you can put your rods at a horizontal angle or up at a steeper angle. I always preferred the duo (dual position) holders. I have watched Kayak Catfish for years and he always has his holders at the horizontal angle when drifting or fishing straight down. I would guess the only time you would want your rods angled up would be when you were anchored. Since Justin does like to anchor in river current because strange things can happen, it is seldom if ever done.

By laying your rods flat or horizontal, you get the most spread which helps prevent tangles. You’ll get enough of those anyway. Angled up at 33 or 45 degrees would work when tied off or angled but only experience will teach you what you can lose in stability. It would seem that if a fish hits a rod hard but the boat can move, it would absorb some of the shock to the kayak. If the boat can not move and the shock is to the side of a kayak, it may cause more trouble.

I can’t see where the base needed for a Scotty holder would need to be any larger or smaller than what would be needed for a monster rod holder.

TIP. Always wear your vest and remember if in current and you reach out and grab a log, you will stay in one place but the kayak may not.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I made the rod holders for my big boat from 5/16 and 3/8" bolts that are adjustable. Looks something like the Monster rod holders. Doesn't have the crossbar, sharp angle or bolt, mount at the center. More of a round look like this.
Amazon.com: NovelBee 4 Pack of Aluminum Alloy Boat Rods Holder with Clamp Adjustable Up and Down and 360 Degree Rotatable Fishing Rod Racks : Sports & Outdoors
Always have the rod tips within inches of the water surface, my dad taught me this. When you get a strike you have 90 or more degrees to set the hook. If the rod is at 45 degrees you only have 45 degrees to set the hook. If the rod is at 60 degrees you only have 30 degrees to set the hook.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good points! I do plan on buying a good comfy life vest. I have a couple but their not comfortable so I only use them when I’m in a worrisome situation which isn’t good when most of the time I’m by myself. I am a good swimmer but doesn’t matter if the water is freezing or I was to hit my head in a tumble.
my current rod holders are the 33x45 angled rod holders but I’ve ran my rods “crossed” and it’s more of a 5 degree angle but that way can be a pain to pull the rod up when a fish is on…. Hmmm more thinking and budgeting! Ha

·
Premium Member
12,325 Posts
The horizontal monster holders would probably be difficult to get a rod out of with a bigger fish tugging on the line. You can lift the rod up from the horizontal position a little bit but the rod has to move forward a ways to get out of the holder.

It is the same as with your 33/45 holders. If a rod is in the 33* position, you have to move the butt of the rod all the way forward before you can lift it out. Doing that would have you shifting your weight out to the side of the kayak which can cause your clothes to get damp.

more thoughts.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Since we have a cool day I'll upgrade the seat platform and maybe add a milk crate to the rear deck.

My yak is a Heritage Featherlite 10, sit in. It has a pretty good point at front and rear. We carried it to the lake at my son's house yesterday. He paddled out, flipped the outriggers into the water. He could stand and walk from rear tip to a foot in front of the cockpit. Said it felt like walking on a deck that needs new boards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts