Monster Pontoon bases vs DriftMaster

Discussion in 'MONSTER ROD HOLDERS' started by Brackish*Water, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I like my Monster Rod Holders i also like my DriftMaster Duo Pro and Lil' Pro. But I think the Monster pontoon bases are a little better as they have notches for the rail. First pic is DriftMaster and second is the Monster base.

IMG_20180129_122826976_HDR.jpg IMG_20180129_122809000_HDR.jpg

Zigarro likes this.
  2. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    I bet the notch helps hold it, but with a good file and a vise you can cut the same notch (even a better fit!) into your driftmasters.

3. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Well, I would have to say the notch might help but the mount can only move the distance between the mounting bolt and the railing so maybe a 16th inch or so. If you cut a short length of plastic tubing just long enough to cover the threads between the top and bottom mount, it would take up the space so the mount could not shift. But the Monster mount is stronger because of the thickness of the aluminum where the bolts go through.

Just some thought.

4. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    One time I found a real sweet ambassadeur 4600c on an All Star rod at a pawn shop. It quickly became my favorite. I caught lots of speckled trout on it throwing mirro-lures. One time at the lake someone (can't mention names....) baited it up with some beef liver cast it out and set it down in the boat. I started to say something and it shot out of the boat like lightning. I trolled the area in circles with a Bagley DB3 magnum to no avail desperately hoping to snag the line. That was before I had rod holders.

Zigarro likes this.
  5. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I've looked at several other holders and bases to accommodate our pontoon's rails and early in my search it became apparent to me that Monsters were superior, which is why we went with them. They mount like they were welded on and I like that extra degree of assurance when I have to turn my back and help my son net his catch.
    If you already have a lesser style mount then a mod makes sense- if not though, why not go with the best?

6. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I agree it is a nice touch in fact the Monster base probably could be characterized as "billet" because it is a chunk of metal that has been machined. No it's not a deal breaker but it is a very nice touch.