Monster NC Flathead.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dihardhunter, Sep 19, 2005.

1. dihardhunter

dihardhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My buddy Andrew Partin (actually my college roommate) and I caught this flathead Sunday morning at 3 am. It was the only fish we caught all night, but it was MASSIVE!!!! We caught it on the upper Cape Fear River above Buckhorn Dam. We caught it on a limbline armed with 100 pound test line and a 7/0 circle hook baited with fresh cut bream. By the way the sycamore branch was bouncing, we thought we might have a 20 or 25 pounder...easily our biggest catfish ever. When that sucker hit the bottom of our little johnboat, we had a 51 pound catfish. It wasn't until 7 that morning that we calmed down enough to fall asleep in our tent. It measured 45 inches long with a 31 inch girth. We tried to get it weighed at 4 different tackle shops, but no one had scales big enough. It bottomed out 50 pound scales. We have never caught anything approaching the size of that fish, and several people were commenting that it was the biggest fish they had ever seen, so we thought we might have a record contender, but one deer scale and several bathroom scales later, we arrived at the 51 pound final weight. The holy grail of catfishing!!! The amazing thing about it was that both of our previous best catfish weighed 8 pounds and 11 pounds respectively. One fillet was 14 pounds each, easily beating our previous best catfish. Here are 5 pics that hopefully do the catfish justice. In my mind, the fish of a lifetime.

2. dihardhunter

dihardhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm actually not sure how to transfer pics in from my member's gallery to the forum, but my sn is dihardhunter so you can get them from the gallery until I figure out how to post them...

3. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    I seen your pic. of flathead , thats a nice fish .

4. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

GREAT CATCH
    MONSTER is the correct word to describe a fish with those measurements
    the formula i use tells me it should have weighed appx.54.546 lbs.
    CAPT.KIRK :thumbsup:

5. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Beautiful flat, great catch, way to go, you 'da man :worship:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    anyone help me find the pic's. would love to see it. way to go fellas. thats a monster. i hope and dream of a catch like that one. :cool:

7. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Dihardhunter;

here is your fish attached to this post.

Gene

Attached Files:

8. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    wow grat catch I dream of one of those congrates

9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Good fish men.Hey ,if you men plan on catching trophy fish like that you need to invest in a good set of digital scales.You may mess up tring to weigh a fish like that on cotton scales or bathroom scales.You can get a good set at a good price and it will take the dought away.If you catch a fish that is a possible recordable fish, onces makes all the difference. Get it to a super market if nothing else ,and tell them it has to be weighed.Just curious,did you release it?

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks gene. thats a monster.

thats one big fillet. should be some good white meat.

11. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    why in gods name would you want to kill that fish? :mad:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It was his to kill?
    That section of river is no where remotely close to how the flathead fishing was in the 80's.

All those fish camps , trotlines, and bush hooks decimated the fishing up there.

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    They splash too much when you try to fry them alive,safety factor I guess.

14. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Man, that's a nice big Flattie!! :blink: That one on a limb line must have been a load trying to pull up huh? Where were you at? Congrats on the catch!! :D

15. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Nice flathead guys! That was a great reply Cook lol.

16. JimmiMallo

JimmiMallo New Member

Congrats! I have been dreaming of a fish like that for a long time.

17. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Wow! That's a beauty. Congratulations.

18. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Nice fish, did he taste good? :p

19. Catfight

Catfight New Member

State:
    Summerfield N.C.
    Nice Flattie Brother, Congradulations :D

20. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That one will be hard to beat brother. Just keep after them. I know how you feel about breaking the 50 lb mark. Did it myself for the first time a few weeks ago. It's a great feeling!!!!! Not to critize you or anything but you might want think about practicing CPR next time. The one I released was way to big for our 50lb scales and in order to weigh it I would have had to kill so I just took a few photos and released him. Just something to think about. These fish are becoming more popular with fishermen and I would hate to see the numbers go way down. Once again great catch!!!!!