Monster Mississippi river flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by poopdeck [patrick], Mar 22, 2006.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    The monster looked at me with it/s beady eyes. My brother pushed me from behind and I jerked back before it could bite my leg off are maybe swallow me whole. I was eight years old and had just seen my first flat head. To this day It still seems larger than a man but it was probaly around fifty or sixty pounds. This monster came from the mississippi river. My father would take us there several times a year in the summer. Sometimes, if he hooked a smaller one he would hand the pole to me or my brother and we would have the joy of reeling in a fair size catfish. I sure miss my father and those wonderful summer days on the river with him, mom and my brothers and sisters.

When I was fourteen I was getting dad a beer,and I seen his pole bending into the water. You got one daddy I screamed, Get it boy, he screamed back. I ran over and jerked with all my might. It pulled back hard, almost dragging me nto the river before dad grabbed me by my belt loop and saved me. I held on with every thing I had, I thought my arms were being ripped off but I would not let go. I can/t hold it daddy help me I begged. Its your fish he said , hold the pole up , now reel, now pull. Finially I felt like I was gaining on the thing. My panic subsided and I calmed down a little. Slowly it came closer untill dad jumped in the river stuck his hand right in the monsters mouth and heaved it to the bank. I was shaking and trembling from head to toe still breathing heavily, I could hardly believe the sight before my eyes. It was a true monster from the abyss, beady eyes, large head, giant mouth and just plain mean looking. Ever one came running to look at my fish. Dad clapped me on the back, You got him boy he said. I was the hero of the day. Dad took the big 43 lb flat head and showed it to all of his friends telling them how it almost pulled me in the river. it was the happiest day of my life. Well dad still called me boy untill he died a few years ago but on that day I felt like I turned into a man.

I still fish for those monster flatheads. Many a times I think of my father while on the river. The good ole days may be long gone but being on the river still brings me a smile.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good story Patrick! Thanks for sharing that with us! It sounds like you have some pretty fond memories fishing with your dad on the river! That is what makes fishing so fun sometimes is some of the memories it brings back and it means something to everyone! Sounds like you had one heck of a time and it was obviously something that you will remember forever!

3. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Yep Rob, being on the river still brings up the good memories of my childhood. My dad was from arkansas, a real country boy. He took that ole flathead home and we and our neighbors ate him. Dad grew up in the depression and ate about every thing. If he would run over a rabbit he would have it for dinner. Him and mom even talked about how they used to eat possums back in the day.

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like that story Pat, reminds me of my Grandad, he would do the same thing.When we would go huntin or fishin he'd allways ask me what I thought the poor people were doin.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    great story. that what makes fishing so fun. all those good memories. i still have my dad and i cherish everday i spend with him.

6. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Great Story!! Thats the great thing about taking young people out fishing. They make memories that last a lifetime. I to have many memories of fishing with my father and grandfather and even after they are gone I will still remember those great times.

7. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Most of us probaly started out fishing when we were children. I/m in my 50/s and I know I have introduced well over 100 kids into fishing.

Fishing for bluegils is the perfect way to start them out even as young as four or five. If they are older say in their teens let them reel in that big catfish that you hooked. You will catch more and you will create a friend for life.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Excellent story. That is what it's all about.
    Thanks.

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Patrick..just wanted to say thanks for sharing that story..I was having a bad day at work and took a couple minutes to look over posts..your post brought back some memories that will help me through this day! Thanks again.

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Great story Patrick, well told, thanks for sharing. :)

11. bammabuck

bammabuck New Member

State:
    bama
    cool story patrick,reminded me of times with my grandad....

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Great story brother! :big_smile:

13. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Great story Patrick, thats one of the beautys of fishing. It's great how returning to a place you fished as a child with your dad will bring back those wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing it with us.

14. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Great story patrick. You made my day brother.

15. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great story Patrick, reminds me of all the times I've gone fishing with my dad. He's still alive, but I know someday he won't be and I'll be fishing without him there or back at home for me to go to and tell my fish stories to. I cherish every moment fishing I have with him.

16. Bayou-Bill

Bayou-Bill New Member

State:
    Nebraska via Missouri
    Patrick, Your story was a great way to start the day. Thanks for the memories.