Monster Lake Murray blue catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, May 16, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    There was a big blue caught sunday out of lake Murray.It was rumored to be 95 lbs.The angler filleted the fish and has given the head to the biologists.They are in the process of ageing it.We made a few phone calls to some biologists and they are claiming that from the size of the head that it could only be at maximum 70 to 75 lbs.Either way still a big fish.This just makes me even more certain that Murray will be the place to go in the near future for big blues.I will update as I find out.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yup. Everyone fish Murray. :big_smile:

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Must be nice! I could only imagine the battle he had.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree Murray will be a great catfish lake. Blues are there and nice channels too.

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Time to break out my Murray maps LOL. I have caught some nice cats in the Saluda Rivers Resort area down to Saluda Island. But out on the lake the trafic on the water was always to much for my nerves to handle.But Chris if ya got any tips on where I should start scouting , I'll help track down those blues you're after.

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that is why we do what we do...you just never know when your gonna get that bite of a life time...you just can't catch em sittin home on the couch...75 lbs, 100 lbs, or 5 lbs...all fish are good fish !!!!...i gotta say though that i am a little disapointed that they did not just get a picture and release it though...to each there own i guess.

7. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I knew I was going to have to start fishing at Murray sooner or later. Might as well be now. I own a 2 BR mobile home just off Clouds Creek, at my hunt camp. I reckon I'm going to start there then fan out.Monticello Fri. then Murray Sat. & Sun. I'll try to report back what I find, easy to do when we don't have a tournament there YET! Hope its gonna be a good report.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I just heard about that today from a biologist, ?maybe 80#'s; what a fish for Murray! :smile2:

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy let us know, they where suppossed to finish the ageing process tommorow.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well thats a mighty big blue for Murray but we all knew it was coming. You had to know if they are below the lake and above the lake, one day somebody would catch one that big. Since Greenwood has them in the high 40's for sure, that it would have some bigger downstream.

11. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    YeaH thats a good one for murry, but I can't wait to see Wateree or Monticellio potential.

12. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    sorry guys but in case ya didn't know Murray is my lake!!!! i was out monday night at midnight and caught 6 stripers, total weight was over 60lbs!!! catfishin was slow that night!! Murray is gin clear right now! tip #1, fish at night!!! i will be out fishin at night sunday,monday and tuesday, will update later in the week!!! have a great week!!!!!!!!!

13. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hi this big blue was cought by one of my friends i have a camera phone picture i took , he is emailing me pictures later today if yall have any questions you would like to ask him post them and ill ask btw the catfish was only 13 years old! this guy who cought this cat cought one 70 pounds in monty last summer ,it wasnt like he and a ton of people didnt want dnr to checkthis cat out they refused to come see the cat said they were to busy to come , they only requested to see the head , this is the exact same thing when the state record white bass was cought on murrey dec 26 too busy to see the fish only after repeated calls did they arrive 1 week later it ended up tying the state record after it was frozen what can you do with a 93 pound cat for 5 days??????i know the white bass would of beat it by a few ounces if they didnt wait so long , ya know you would think they would care but they arnt intrested it happens time and time again

Attached Files:

14. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Wow!
    What kind of gear does he use to land something this big? Where's the best part of Murray to fish? Planning on going Thursday night.

15. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    he used a ambassadeur 6000 20lb test it was cought in upper lake murrey ,the state news paper is suppose to run a story this week

16. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    Thanks for the Pic George !! Most times we only hear the story , not see a pic

17. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    That ol boy sounds like one hell of a catfish angler.I try to catch a fish like that evertime I go but it just hadnt happened yet.The guy was only 19 years old right? He's already got several 70 to 90 lb fish under his belt, thats pretty dagum good.

18. jmcgill

jmcgill New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am the one who caught the fish he was 93.6lbs. 53 7/8in long and 42 5/8in around and as soon as i the the pics down loaded they will be posted.hopefully by this after noon.He was cought on 20puund line and a 7ft striper rod and 6500 abu reel the line and rod was shakesper.

19. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    You are one lucky dude. Welcome to the BOC. We are glad to have you. You are about to have a lot of new best friends.:big_smile:

20. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Looking forward to some good pictures.