Monster float rig

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Welder, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well here goes I am bored and stuck in Aberdeen till april 4. I came up with this rig and have had some great sucess with it for flats and blues, yea yea I fish for blues to. Its a slipfloat rig ya take a 20oz or 1 liter soda bottle take the cap off and slip a large snap swivle under the plastic collar and put the lid back on. Then rig like a slip float with beads and enough weight to keep a big live bait down ( I have used up to 6 ounce bank weights). I have fished this rig below dams in rough currents with a bottom full of nasty rocks and used the back eddie to put it against the dam. Have had it set as deep as 25 ft. Used it to fish nasty log jams and keep my bait a foot off the bottom and out of the timber. Also used it to drift large eddies on the Mo river with sand flats. Ya just gota use your imagination and its a heck of a lot cheaper than a pole float if ya hang it up. It works good with carp up to 12 inches or sunfish for bait. You can get a 30 to 40 yard cast out of it with a 10 ft rod. And ya can put a chem light in it to fish @ night. Hope this helps ya nail more bigg flats.:smile2:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about some step by step pics of your rig?:wink:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  4. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    iam with RAMROD ........How about some step by step pics of your rig?

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Pretty good idea Troy. Seems to me fellas he's just unsnapping the swivel and just hooking it through the plastic ring left on the bottle when you open it. then screwing the cap back on.

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    sounds like it would work pretty good plastic bottles are easy to come up with might try it:smile2::wink:

7. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've used various size corks and ballons to hold large live bait off the bottom. Softball size slip corks work well in most cases if suspending deep and generally if the bait can pull it down it's not for long from being tired out. Ballons are a cheap out but limited pretty much to 10 ft. I been kicking around a slip system for them.

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like that should work, but the various "pool noodle foam" float rigs folks make work well. I used the solid ones, and super glue a coffee stirrer through the center. Mine are only 4" or so.

For me the problem with many of these is a flat may spit the bait due to the amount of force needed to pull the float under. Or, does the fish get hooked trying? Either way, I like a float that can be pulled under for those light biting fish....

Shawn

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

i use balloons for floating my large baits too. when you want a slip float balloon just use a snap swivel tied to the balloons knot. a line stopper and a bead and you on.

Shawn, i just use small balloons and not much air. they will pull them down just fine:wink:

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've considered the soda bottle idea before. Honestly your comment on using a float and the eddy to fish the face of the dam was the most helpfull part in that post. Thanks. I want to try that out for sure. I once tried a 24 oz beer can and it worked out pretty well. I was fishing a point eddy and the fish kept hitting the surface. I didn't catch anything but the can worked well as a float lol.

While we are on the beverage subject I thought I'd bring up another post I've read before. The guy said when he needs extreme weight to hold down in current he takes a beer/soda can and fills it with sand. Then dips it in water and lets it fill up. The sand is about a pound if I remember his post right. I think he was drilling a hold and putting a heavy swivel through the edge of the can to attach it to his line. It was an intresting post and it's stored in my head for just the right occasion.

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ya, that beer can post was nutty to me. lol

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The ballons sound great for day fishen and would most likely cast farther. Thanks for the idea.

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Put a glowstick inside the ballon not a big one just like a 2-4" one before you blow it up.

Hope this helps.

14. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I won some of Reds bobbers and can't wait to try them out. Balloons seem like an in-expensive way to go. Thanks for the info. here

15. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    We use the "pop bottle" rig to retrive snags on the missouri river here works pretty good most of the time... We also float a ballon on the channel side with a small weight about 2oz with a gill or chub... We have caught a lot of flathead doing it

16. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You need to check out Petes (ShiloReds) noodle slip floats. Easy to use and don't cost much. They are better than any you can build.

17. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    That sounds like a good I dea, Ill have to try that, when the boat is done, thanks for the input