Monster Flatheads in Richmond

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well I'm getting closer to finding where to catch these 40-60lbers that are in downtown Richmond. I feel like the guy on Destination Truth, so far I've had at least 4 people tell me about where they are, one guy is going to show me....when he "has something going on"????. All I know is it's around 14th street after the water gets high, like a flood. They get trapped there and are stuck in several holes. NOW the catch is, certain cultures in the area also know about this and go down with nets, spears, ect. and catch as many as they can. They take them out by truck loads....as legend goes. I would love to catch a huge flathead. So when I find out I'll let you know, the only thing I know is I'm sure the "spear" part is true. :crazy:

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Dave,

I would suggest checking out a trip with Capt. Mike Ostrander of James River Fishing School. He runs guided float trips on inflatable pontoons through the upper James here in Richmond. Great guy and a nice trip I used to work with him before he went to guiding full time and a lot of our co-workers did that flathead trip and loved it and caught a lot of nice flats. Would be a great way to learn some spots and techniques.

3. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don,t know the details but have heard guys talk about walking the rocks and bowhunting large cats,carp and gar fron 14th street up to the pony pasture area. I have seen fish in the pools but can,t say i saw any monsters!:crazy: By the way dave , Was you fishing the bank at osbourne friday eve.? it looked like you in you pic.? green cooler and all:smile2:??????

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Always wear the hat....I guess its my fishing trademark.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck on your quest for the monster flathead!!