Monster Catfish Stories

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wvcatfisherman, Aug 18, 2009.

1. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Lets hear some of the monster catfish stories out there. The one that got away, the one you saw, the one your buddy saw, is there bigger fish than most people think still left in our US waters?:smile2:Lets hear them fish tales.:smile2:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well it was a day last summer when me and my dad were catfish huntin' with nightcrawlers and he hung one id say a 13 lb. blue and when he got it in i reached down to grab it.. LOL! it kept twirlin and i kept tryin to get it and the sucker broke off the hook. :smile2:

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had one hooked, must have been at least 200lbs. I couldn't even move him. So I got my dog to help but grabbing some of the pole and pulling. Damn thing took off on a run and next thing you know all I see is the poor dogs tale heading under water. Last If saw of the poor pooch. :roll_eyes:

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Me and my girlfriend where fishing a couple of weeks ago and she caught the biggest freakin channel I have ever seen right as I got the net under him the dam line snapped:sad2:

5. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    As a kid I used to get to go to summer camp, well they had a little pond and a pink barbie pole, I took the pole and tied on the only hook I could find, it was one of those little gold egg hooks used for a single salmon egg, I tied that thing on there and the line was so old and brittle that it broke just tightening the knot. Finally I got it tied on and started fishing, I got a really good bite on some worms I was able to dig up, but knowing the line was so brittle I playied the fish for over an hour. There became quite a crowd of people watching, and I was finally able to tire it out and pull it onto the the shore, I was unable to real it in cause it weighed so much. I got to taking the hook out of its mouth and there must have been 75 to 100 of those little gold egg hooks all caught in that fish's mouth.
    I wanted to keep em but the counselors said no, that nobody has caught him before and I needed to let others catch him too.
    If I remember right it was about 3.5 to 4 feet long. Wish I had a pic

6. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    One time I was fishin' down on Bay Creek when I noticed a little grey squirrel out on a log that was hanging over the water. Suddenly a huge flathead came up out of the water and devoured that poor little squirrel.
    A little later on I looked over to that log, and that flathead was puttin' another nut out on the end of that log! Darndest thing I ever seen!

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The biggest catfish I ever seen caught was on the Mississippi River close to New Orleans..Me and a buddy went fishing on the river near a grain elevator..It was always a sure thing to catch cats there..There was a gut that had some trot lines out there and he came on to the bank with his boat and asked for some help..He said he had a fish on his line that he couldn't get up in his boat..We took the short ride to the line and sure enough it was a hog..The fish was so fat from eating grain it looked like it was about to burst..The blue cat weighted in at 98 lbs..

8. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    The story of George Lijewski and the current SC state record Blue Catfish comes to mind.He hooked the 109lb 4 oz monster on a menhaden and fought the fish on 17lb mono on a bass rod for 45 minutes.When he got the fish to the boat he had just enough strength to get the fish in the boat.He laid in the bottom of the boat with the fish for 15 minutes recooperating.

9. festus

festus New Member

Two friends and I were hand-lining for catfish off of a Southern Railway trestle on the Little Emory River section of Watts Bar Lake. We hooked a big 'un, it got tangled in some pilings, we knew it was too big for us to pull it in, so we made a big noose on one end and planned on lassoing it to a tree. A train was approaching, we had to evacuate the tracks, about that time the catfish came loose, so we lassoed the train. About the time the train got across the trestle, the catfish pulled the train in. :smile2::wink:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  10. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    a few weeks ago i was fishing on a clam bed that was just starting to show,i was facing the bank closest to me and i turned around and there was a flathead right behind me chasing minnows,he was only 2 feet from me,that sucker had to be about 3-4 feet long scared the $hit right out of me lol

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been litteraley bout jerked off "THE WALL!" where I fish more then once....hit hard and if ya think I am b.s in come put yer time in it will happen to you too ....100lb pp just bout had me swimmin ....glad she broke(LOL) there in there!

12. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
  13. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was fishing a hole in the creek one time that had an old pickup stuck in the bend. After a while, I got a pole bender. I fought this fish till my arms were aching, he went up the creek, and down the creek until finally he swam inside that old pickup. I pulled him out, back in he swam. I pulled him out again, back in he went. this went on for awhile until he must have gotten tired because he shut the door so I couldn't get him out! :angry: #@*~^*

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    back when i was about 13 or so a neighbor guy and his brother took me noodling with them they told me about this flathead that got away from them twice

so this time they brought a sain net we used for getting baits out of ponds and folded it several times to make it about 6 foot long by 4 foot tall and we coverd the entrance of the hole in the bank we tied 1 end of it to some roots and branches and i was to hold the other end as they went in after him .

first 1 guy went under to see if it was still in the hole and sure enough he was so we went for our plan of attack first they came up with a flathead around 50 lbs or so i was like wow thats a biggen the guy tied the fish off to a near by branch and said the bigger 1 was still in there .

the hole went back into the mud bank around 8 foot or so he thought
    so this time both guys went down and all heck broke lose :eek:oooh::crazy:
    1 guy had his whole arm in its mouth and out its gill and the other guy was trying to bear hug it ,, its was thrashing around bad but i got to see its head and it dwarfed the 50 lber big time its head was as big as a 5 fallon bucket or better . they told me to hold the net tight as i could so he didnt get away and to poke a whole in its mouth so they could get a rope in his jar i tried but i couldnt get it done he was thrashing too bad and the guy said hes gonna brake my darn arm so i panict and tried to run the rope threw its mouth and out its gill .

lmao that only pissed the fish off more and the guy that was trying to bear hug him lost his grip , and the fish pulled the net away from my hand and took off out of the whole with the other guys arm still in his mouth .

fish swam about 20 foot out into the creek with him and the guy finally had to give up to save his life so he let go of the flathead .

the water was only about 5 foot deep or so at the hole entrance but around 8 foot in the middle of the creek .

it was the biggest flathead ive ever seen so far , Ive caught a 80 lber so i know what a flathead of that size looks like up close ,,

this one had atleast 30 to 50 lbs on that 80 lber !!!!

so I know for a fact they grow over a 100 lbs and close to 150 lbs .

and these 2 brothers have noodled some in the 90 s before in the same creek .

but we did get the 50 lber that day but not the big 1 :wink:

the power that fish had over my much older nieghbor was amazzing to see first hand !!!!!!!!!!

didnt feel the same swimming close to that spot for awhile i tell ya :embarassed::eek:oooh::crazy:

15. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Lmao! Omg that was so funny. I died laughing till I cried and my stomach hurt!

16. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hooks bent out ect ect. Best one this year was fishen with a snaggen stick ,penn 309, 90 lb snaggne braid and a 9/0 octo j hook with a 12 inch live mooneye. Fish hit so hard he was pullen drag on the 309 lock all the way down and was pullen boat sideways. Got the rod out of the holder and had em on for 30 sec. He popped loose I almost fell back in the boat. Stood there dumfounded for 5 min. I would have luved to seen that fish. Hook dident bend out, I fugured it dident stick em good.