Monster catfish in Santee Cooper Lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rivercatsc, Jan 16, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I know if any of you have ever been around people and they find out that you catfish they always ask you - So whats the biggest catfish that you have ever caugh?. I had a guy at work the other night ask me that and of course when I said 43lb flatty he said he caught a 66lb 2oz blue in lake marion on an ultralight with 6lb test line. I know all of you have heard that before. This is when it got even deeper. Him and some buddies were scuba diving buy the dam with a harpoon gun(illegal)and speared a 178lb 10oz blue and when i asked how they got him up they had went back down and tied a cable to him and drug him up on the bank. That had to be a hard drag up that dike. Needless to say that was the smallest one they saw and were scared to shoot any of the bigger ones. I must say I would have been scared to! I just though that was mighty funny but if your looking for world class catfish just lead down infront of the dam and hold on. THERE ARE FISH THE SIZE OF VOLKSWAGONS DOWN THERE!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hehe, Santee and every other dam around the world. :big_smile: You hear those stories everywhere you go, seems like. I know there are some monsters in the lakes, but you have to remember that when diving, everything looks larger than it really is. Those guys were probably at home drinking stump liquor when they had that experience. BTW, did he name or produce all those 'other' guys?... :eek:oooh:

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You know the old saying, The first liar don't have a chance:lol: .

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    lol.. nice story.. hard to tell if real or not.. there are 124 lb blues out there... u know grandpa is out there somewhere.. id say there are some over 200... just perfect timing, who knows.. the last one that snapped ur line may have been 150+... uhh ohhh.. story time: About 5 years ago.. me and my buddy kyle was fishing the ohio river off the bank in this hole that was about 50-60 ft. deep about 50 yrds off the bank... well he had a 9 ft rod.. and all that good stuff.. a barge was coming up river about 1 1/2 miles off, and he was getting a slow but steady bite.. usually big ones do that.. so it done it steady for about 15 mins.. i think it was on skipjack or shad... in that deep hole in the middle of summer... and the barge was only about 1/4 mile off now.. and i was like.. well here ill get him to take it u get ready.. so he picks up the pole, i tug the line a few times.. and the cat hits it... i pull it a few more times out of the fishes mouth... and BAM he nails it... pole bends and he sets the hook big time.... he starts fighting it and hes like...BIG FISH BIG FISH! so he reel and reels for what seems to be an hour.. ( like 10 mins ) then he gets it about 20-30 feet off bank and it turns and swims away and starts to pull kyle towards the river (was on creek rocks) btw he only weighed about 130ish.. so i grab ahold of the pole too.. and of course i was about 160. and hes still fighting it... theres a huge log laying 1/2 way in the water and 1/2 on bank right in front of us... so he gets the fish up by the log after about 20 mins or so.. and there is this HUGE swirl from the fish.. id say around 8-10' swirl... about 12-14' off the bank in front of the log.. id say the fish went 80+lbs easy... we seen part of its tail/back and it was probably 5 in wide.. that was close to the tail.. and the hook came out of its mouth.. before we could get it around the log :(... right down the river about 500 yds, i fished there.. on a HUGE sand bar right next to the Pipe that came off the hill from the local sewer plant... MMM yummy... and it ran out about 70-100 feet on the sand bar. before it emptied out... and if u casted close to the end of it.. yeah always a 20+ laying there.. i hooked one that almost snapped a 9' ocean rod.. scarred me 1/2 to death.. i think he got tangled in the rebar around the pipes.... during feeding times.. around 6 PM ive seen about 40-50 pounders chasing shad/skips right off the bank about 30 yards or so.. i tryed wading out and dipnetting but i didnt get into the water and they were gone lol... casted in front of them with worm/liver nothing.. they like the real stuff... anywho.. thats my story.. i know there are big uns out there. just gotta know how to fish, where to fish, and how to pray :) later

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heck i was fishing at the lake one night and had my latern hanging over the water when this huge cat came up and grab my lantern. the lights want out when the fish went back down and i kept fishing for a hour after that. then all of a sudden i hooked into a giant. fought him for over three hours. finally got him on the bank and man was he huge. i told my dad to go get the wheel barrow and while he was gone the fish spit the lantern back out and it was still burning. so we just let the fish go since we got our latern back.:big_smile: boy he was a biggun!

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    O you guys are funny! I got some stories with crocodile infested waters, west nile breeding grounds, and copperheads. I will save them for another day.

I do have to tell you guys something funny though... My scout troop and I went to the boundary waters of minnesota and canoed for about 12 days. As soon as the sun went down the "Black Plague" came out to feast. Yea man, you better be in bed before the sun goes down or you will be raped from head to toe by squitos. I was wearing a full bug suit and they got in through a hole in my shoe. Don't even think about getting up to pee out of the tent at night time. You just got to hang your thang out there long enough to leak it... u can guess the rest :big_smile:

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Man, those are some big catfish !!! Ive got a pond with some huge bass in it like that. Last week I was cleaning up around the pond dam and got a little to close to the edge of the water with the lawn mower and the blade started to hit the water...........before I could back off, a big bass thought it was a buzz bait and rolled all over it........almost lost my brand new push mower

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Really? Man, y'all have better luck than I do. As I was leaving the landing one morning, a guy was telling me where to go for some really monster cats; said he had hooked into one a couple weeks or so back. He fought that thang for a couple hours and finally got it to the boat, but was too big to land, so they tied it off with rope and pulled it in to the fishcamp. They couldn't get it out of the water, so called a tow truck, loaded it on the back of the hauler and got it home. All the neighbors came over to help clean it. He said they saved the sking to re-roof his house, and used the rib bones to put up a picket fence around the yard.
    I'm not sure if I believe him or not, 'cause I've fished that hole he told me about a lot this year, and I have yet to hook into anything very large.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Got a lot of big skeeters around that pond too.......back during the summer I was fishing one evening/drinking a few cold beers and heard what I thought was a helicopter. Finally looked up and seen these two huge mosquitoes looking down at me and talking to each other.......one asked the other "well, you want to eat him here or take him home".....the other looked back and said " if we take him home, the big ones will get him". I couldnt get to the truck fast enough !!!

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

I repeat,The first liar don't have a chance:lol:.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good stories guys thanks for the laughs!!!!

12. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    man is this thread gettin deep lol

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I hooked a flathead last year at Badin and fought him for aorund 30 min. He stayed on the bottom the whole time. I got him up one time ad estimate the fish around 60 lb. He went straight to the bottom and got wrapped in my anchor line and broke off. He hit a live 10" perch. My buddy rob just looked at me and said, what in the world kind of equipment do you have to get to catch these things. I said apparently a lot bigger than I got. I ahd a 8' rod with 30 lb. line and 50 lb. leader. I think this flathead season I will upgrade to a tow truck with a big cable. That might bring one in.

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    A few years ago some divers found a 67 chevelle in the bottom of Lake Greenwood.It was still close enough to shore to get the wrecker cable to it, so they decided to pull it out.While they where hooking the cable up to it, they noticed something moveing around in it.It turned out to be a HUGE flathead.They ganged up and tried to get it out of the car but they couldnt, because he rolled the windows up and locked the doors.:big_smile: :big_smile:

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That story about catfish behind the dam is very aggrevating to me, because it's EVERYWHERE I go, it would be funny to me if a lot of people didn't actually believe it! It's the same exact story everywhere I go. Just like in WV, at Sutton Lake, I always have to listen to a bunch of hicks sitting around talking about how a diver got eaten by a big Catfish down by the dam.

16. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    of course you guys know what happen to the Lock Ness Monster. Big Foot put one of those giant cats (found by ever dam on the planet since alcohol was invented) on a carolina rig and caught him ... had to tie it to a UFO to pull him in ...........................
    :misdoubt:

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    A famous Santee guide once told the story of a giant flattie he hooked and brought along side of his 24 foot SeaArk catfishing machine while fishing the big bends of the Santee below 601. The giant olive colored brute's head surfaced amid ship while its mighty tail wrapped about the stern. You do the math--a world record for sure. His longtime fishing pal had never seen a fish so immense and when the old guide hollered for the gaff the man was unable to respond and cowered near the side console of the big jon in fear. The guide reported the great flathead rolled his head just so and one tiny expressionless eye seemed to wink as the great tail flapped and the 60 pound class line popped like so much sewing thread.

18. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would think it would be very dangerous to dive beside a dam. I first heard the story from my dad when I was little. Mark Twain in his book Life on the Mississippi wrote about 300lb catfish when he was a river boat guide.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Mark Twain in his book Life on the Mississippi wrote about 300lb catfish when he was a river boat guide..."

Ya, and Mark Twain never embeliished a story. :lol:

Never trust a man that lies about his own name; Samuel Langhorne Clemens.

20. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I seen a show on TLC about "monster fish" & they claim people have written receipts dating back to the 1930's from where the people took giant catfish to the processing plants.Some single fish were documented at 200+ lbs. with many in the 100 lb. range.I'm not talking about MeKong cats either!