Monster catfish from an Arkansas lake

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by squirtspop, Nov 10, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I was over at a neighbors yesterday and he showed me a newspaper clipping of a huge cat caught in a local lake at Horseshoe Bend. It is estimated it weighed 187 1/2 pounds. I don't guess they weighed it. It took over 3 hours to land.

It was pulling their boat in a "No Wake" area and the homeowners were yelling at them for exceeding the speed limit. LMAO. Can you imagine that? They dropped the anchor just to slow it down. I'll see if I can get the clipping and post it or if someone else in this area has it they can post.

2. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Wow. Looking forward to seeing the clipping. Keep us posted.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    same here cant wait to see it.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Chuck,you bored today?:lol:
    Doing a little internet fishing:wink: :wink:

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, I wanna see a photo ~ lol. And I wanna find out how far this Horseshoe Lake is from us... sounds like the place to be :lol:
    Subscribing to this thread and awaiting further details ....

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    187 1/2 pounds???? Now that is one heck of a fish!!!!

I feel I can safely say I speak for everyone when I say "man I'd like to catch one like that!!!!"

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    smells fishy to me unless it was in europe then I'd believe it since they have well cats over there.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i was thinking the same thing scott

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive herd of cats pulling boats here in the states, but nothing 187.5 pounds. thats a modern day dinosaur.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you've got a 187.5 lb fish draggin your boat around How do you slow down??? Somethin tells me an anchor would only help a small amount! Can you just imagine hangin on for dear life and someone hollorin "Hey slow down"!:lol: :lol: :lol:

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    187 pounds and they didn't weigh it as the EASY world record, man.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Man, I definetly want to see the pic of that fish. Sounds like another fish story.LOL

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm going over to the guys house tomorrow who showed me the newspaper clipping, I'll see if he'll let me have it then I'll post it.

14. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Chuck There was a man in Horseshoebend Last night was telling about that story he said he knew the guy at the paper he said it was a joke. He had put in there for a joke But it made alot of people mad.He said that he thought people would know it was a joke when he wrote the guy stopped reeling to take a 45 min. lunch .I have'nt checked if they have a web site but the paper is The Pacesetting Times.

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Rusty, they do have a website. But, looks like it has not been updated since 2002. There is nothing there as far as news goes, and the achive i pulled up said it had not been updated since 2002. Was hoping a pic of the fish was on there. Hopefully Squirtspop will get us one soon! But, I do beleive it was a joke or it would have made more news than that!!

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I was told by a friend that it was a joke and alot of people fell for it but they have some good lakes up there Crown lake the largest but it don`t have a pubic landing you have to put in at the marina diamond lake susposed to be the best fishing lake North lake electric motors only then North the smallest To me the best catfishing lake Hope it helps some of you up that way:smile2:

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Well, guess I've been had. Since it was in the paper I just figured it was a legitimate story. Still going to keep fishing it. Bro in law and I did manage a 11, an 8 and a 4 one Friday night during the summer and that ain't no fish story. LOL.

18. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

We were fishing the Neosho River a few years back there at Miami, OK., back when the park would flood.
    We were catching a bunch in the 5 - 10 pound range, biggest was 14 pounds..
    I hooked into one and it drug us around for a good ten minutes.
    I would pull it a little, then he would pull us a little.
    Just when I thought I had him heading up, he would turn and head back down?
    He finally made a run for it and broke my line, but it was fun while it lasted?

I don't know how much it weighed but I was using 50 pound line and we were in a 12 foot flat bottom boat, and he was dragging us around like it was nothing.

Ken