Monster blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by F150Catfish, Jan 25, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
  2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have the same book, although it doesnt look real I'm sure it is

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I would not dout that its true. look at that fish it dosent look like it was going to be cpr it was more than likely dinner as was most of the fish back then. SO AS YOU CAN SEE SELECTIVE HARVEST IS A MUST IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO CATCH SOME MONSTERS LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN!

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    id say the fish was real...just a little too much time in the bottom of the boat:tounge_out: looks a little dried out

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Based on the board widths on the wall (about 8" would be right for the height of the man) the length would be about 66" and the girth I estimate at 50". That would put the fish at something over 200 lbs., not unrealistic for that period of time. I wonder how it was caught? I would guess a trotline. What a monster!

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I believe it caught on trotline.. but the book don't say any about how caught that monster blue..

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is nothing in the picture that makes me believe it isnt real. Before blues were over harvested, it has been said many 150+# blues were pulled from the Mississippi. I believe even Mark Twain wrote about seeing large blues cats, he estimated were 200#'s or something like that. When these monsters were being pulled out(mostly 1800's-1900's) records were not being kept. And with the way we treat our resources today(pollution, over fishing, illegal methods, dams, even global warming) we will probably not see any fish reach that size again.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I belive that is real. I dont think there any more big cats around that size anymore.

9. Greg Alsept

Greg Alsept New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah thats real

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a27: This post is well written. I agree these were fish of a lifetime.This is the reason that we must practice CPR today.:sad2: :big_smile:

11. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Looks real to me also. I agree that CPR is a must for future catches. Thanks for posting!

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    It probably is real! We have 100 lb. blues in my home waters and I wouldn't doubt they would get to 200 lb. if it weren't for fishing pressure and other manmade interferences, such as pollution overharvesting, etc. They are getting bigger, but we need to spread the word to let the big ones go. The big fish have the genetics needed to make more big fish. Also bigger fish lay more eggs and are better for brood stock fish for spawning than smaller ones are. Bigger fish means more eggs. Smaller fish, not so many eggs. And the smaller ones will not have all the pollutants built up like the big ones do. Just put the big ones back. Take a pic., it lasts longer than a meal anyway. Measure it and get a replica made. That way you can enjoy it forever. see ya

13. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    the old fish looks reel to me if every one looks at this they will see what CPR would do if we all would do this and a good way to stop all these gill nets a big thanks to all that do CPR

Bill

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I THINK IT'S REAL.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it's real. I think in the big rivers, some may still roam that are that big. Hopefully in the Mo. river. I could be wrong, but think about it. If most fishermen fish within 5 miles of the boat ramp that they put in at, there are miles and miles of river that are never fished. Commercial fishing is illegal on the Mo. river now, so there should be some huge fish showing up any time now. If not, it ain't because of over harvesting.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    About 12-15 years ago, I saw a picture of a 118# blue caught jugging on Lake Texoma; fish & angler were side by side, and the big blue was almost as long as the guy, who was well over 6'.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Very likely real.

The written reports of the big from the past are numerous. It is proof that if left alone to fish as we want anglers will wipe out a fishery of its bigger fish.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i believe that's a real fish, but i was looking at its head and it looks like there's a bullet hole in it. not saying that's how it was caught... i know of folks that have shot big cats to get them in easier.
    i think through educating people, we can see those huge blues again. look at they way cats are viewed now in a more positive light than just 10 years ago. also look at the 2 new world record rod and reel blues in just the last couple of years. if we can get the selective harvest thing into peoples' heads now then maybe our descendants looking back at our fishing albums will talk about our small fish, instead of, like us, talking about the big ones 'back in the day.'
    -jordan

19. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    like ive said in a post before, i would put money on there being a blue or flathead in one of our major rivers that is going close to 200 pounds. so much unfished water to determine if theres not or if there is. but if there was a way to tell if there was a fish that big i bet id win big on a bet:big_smile:

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I would say the fish was real