Monster blue catfish in big resevoirs

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by keepitsimple, Jun 21, 2009.

1. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    The summertime bite on the monster blues gets me thinking overtime. Late fall til pre spawn I think I got figured out but post spawn til that water gets cold I could use alittle help on. River cats are easy to figure out but those big water lake/resevoir monsters gotta go somewhere.:confused2:

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea id like to know to, i asum in the deep part of the lake, you know the blues are there, the flats are probly in their james or logs, not active,im having that problem, its 90 degrees were i fish, so i got to move on

3. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thing you gotta remember about the lakes is the thermocline, find that and find the fish (pretty easy to tell, just look at your depth finder and see how deep all the fish are), those blues will be all over, kinda keeps em spread out, from what I have been told drift fishin is the way to go over the channel ledges and on flats during the summer, cover more ground that way.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would think deep water but they might be suspende do to the thermocline.

5. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Try below thermocline on rock walls close to main channel, and/or find those large schools of shad on thermocline and fish for the big fish marked under them. If not stripers they are most often blues staying in the shade provided by the mass of shad above them. If stripers are around,the schools will break up and move around fast. If the mass of shad stay around with little movement the big marked fish are almost always blues waiting for cripples. This has confounded many a striper fisherman wondering why the stripers/wipers/hybrids don't move or bite. They usually will balloon or verticle jig spoons to get a bite. Then cuss the 20 lb blue for spooking the stripers as they wrestle big blues in!:smile2: Clients do not like to pay big money to catch a bunch of catfish when after GAME fish:confused2:. Watch those big shad schools when it is hot and fish the shade they provide over the main river channel in the big deep water impoundments.:wink: Hope this helps and good luck.

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    On Tawakoni here in Texas, about the only time to catch big blues in summer is at night. Remember to stay above the thermocline, below it there is not enough oxygen. Drifting works well, but late at night to first light, you can anchor on points and catch them also. Just remember, one degree of temperature makes a huge difference to the fish, as the water cools at night the shad get shallower and the blues will follow. We do not catch near the numbers of big blues in the summer here, as in the winter, but they can be caught.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good pointd mentioned about the thermocline. It really makes a difference for summer time blues where the best oxygen is located at and where the baitfish are as well. They go hand and hand. Slip bobber fishing will be the trend you want do and also drift fishing as well in the reservoirs. Early morning and late evening and nights are the better time periods.

B

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Slip bobbers will be your best choice.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    deep, it makes sence, find the deepest section and, drop lines, dont know much about the thermocline, dont have a boat or a deapth finder

10. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    WOW, good thread guy's, yes we do better in summer drifting channel dropoffs for the bigger blues but.....I've noticed the size fish are directly related to "year class" by that I mean they school according to age thus size as well. We catch 2to 5's, then hit a group of 8to 15's , then 18's to 15's. You get the idea teenagers hang out together and the old whiskers will hold up in deeper water most of the time, plus I think the really BIG blues feed on crappie young buffalo and such not just shad. But if a good size offering comes in range and he's hungry...hang on!!!:crazy: Another advantage to drifting he's got to commit to that moving bait or let it go.

11. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I just learned more here than I have this month about blue cats. Thanks guys.

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep.. when it comes to summer they go and hold tight to the deep holes on edges of river channels. Sharp bends are also a point of interest.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thermocline is deff the way to find fish. doesnt matter if they are strippers or cats. all fish stay around the thermocline. Great thread guys..

14. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks to all the replied to this thread. It seems the monster blues are very elusive in the summer. We all agree thermocline is to be avoided and slip bobbers drifting, look for schools of shad to drift thru, and shallow when the hunt at night. I still have a mind set that big fish want big bait so they don't waste energy catching a bunch of smaller bait. teeners and low twenty lb blues aren't difficult to find it's those monster 50plus fish rack my brain. Once again thanks y'all

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Can only wish we had a lot of them here in Ohio.

16. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    The hardest thing that I have found to do in the summer is stay on the big fish. In the winter I can get on them and stay on them from about mid October through March. In the summer it is a whole different story. It might be my lack of experience of targeting the big fish in the summer, but I can find them one day and not the other. Scattershooting a lot of different kinds of patterns has helped me to catch big fish in the summer. Unlike winter, what worked yesterday probably wont work today. I don't know why but this seems to be the case in my experience. The lake that I primarily fish is about 60 ft deep at its deepest point. All of my big fish this summer have come from 4 to 20 feet of water. Thermocline is around 20 ft, give or take a few foot depending where you are at on the lake. Only one big fish this summer has come during daylight hours, but it was an exceptionally cool morning with a good breeze. Down here in summer, none of the guides fish for the big fish because they are way too inconsistent. The one thing I have figured out is chasing the big blues in the summer will make you a much better winter time fisherman. Hope this post helps somebody.

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Gary summer is not my favorite time to fish. So many boaters on the water that the Big Cats seem to hideout till all the racket is gone. Big Cats have to eat so if you find there haunts, they will eat. have found fishn during the week days at night a little more productive on the larger cats. The thermocline is another factor and if you drop a live perch down to bottom and it dies then you know its not enough ox. for a cat to stay down there. They may dive down below the thermocline just to pick up a bait but they want stay long even if they make the trip. In cases like this i just get out of the open water and fish closer to the bank or shallower humps were the water may be a little more fish worthy. Chops in the water and running water produces more oxygen that is good for the fish and the night fishn is better on me:big_smile: Good luck, as far as me, i can't wait for the fall

18. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I hear you there, I cant wait for fall either, that way we can stay on the big ones.:smile2: