Monroe flathead fishing from shore...

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brutom, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Brutom

Brutom New Member

State:
    Cumberland Indiana
    Hey all!
    I'm planning to try Monroe soon for flatheads and am leaning towards fishing at the dam, but I'd also be very interested in others advice and information on whats worked well for them.
    Thanks in advance!

2. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Hey Brutom. If I were you, I'd maybe try to find where a river runs into the Monroe reservoir and fish there. I have never had much luck trying to fish on the top side of any dams,but I have had luck fishing the bottom side, but usually there will be so many snags it will drive you crazy. :cursing: Good Luck whatever you do!! Post back and let me know how you do.

-Later

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im going to be near the Dam on Sat if anyone interested in meeting what is the best bait there? This will be near Bloomington if there is more than one Dam.

4. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Only one dam on Monroe. I live nearby and have not heard much about flatheads there mostly channel cats.
    I have not fished near the dam, but i spent two nights in august where the middle fork of salt creek enters the lake. actually about a mile up the creek. caught three channel cats in the 3 to 5 lb range then all i got the rest of that night were those yellow bellies. the second night i spent camped out on the main lake East of causway, didnt catch any. Allens creek has produced alot of channel cats.
    Hope you have a good trip, if your gonna be in a boat, there are some very disrespectful boaters there, be careful. but dont let them ruin your trip.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont think we will be on a boat, will be there for a family reunion going there sat early so me and Grandpa in-Law can get some lines wet. Im not sure where we will be is there a Topo map of Monroe on the Indiana DNR website?

6. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    I've never had much luck for flathead at the dam, but i do know of a few good ones caught below the dam. Don't eat anything you catch below the dam. PCB'S
    DNR doesn't have any free topo maps, but the hotspots site does have one thats free and printable for Monroe.
    I have done really good in the past at the area of the Pine Grove ramp.
    Its a good area for channels and flats.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well was a pretty good spot right off of 446 was using worm, and frozen shad. Didnt catch anything with shad caught a bluegill with worm which I cut up and got some good bites but no takers.