Monroe Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sam, Jun 10, 2006.

1. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    I've been getting some very good reports of flathead action at Monroe. One of the baitshops there did tell me many flatheads have been taken in the last week including a 65 pound monster.

2. Brutom

Brutom New Member

State:
    Cumberland Indiana
    Thats good to hear, as I'm certainly looking forward to trying for them there in the near future.
    Any reports on specific or general locations that have been producing fish there lately?
    Thanks!

3. Eric-t

Eric-t New Member

State:
    Salem, Indiana
    I,ve never caught any flats on monroe. What are they catching them on? Did they give any location or type of structure?

4. bigcatkev

bigcatkev Member

State:
    indiana
    You can catch flats just about anywhere on monroe but there are some real hogs early in the year back in the idol side of monroe way back in the stiks. Its hard to navagate because of being shallow except for the channel but they are back in there especially if you find a creek "hint" comming in to the lake.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i've only caught one flattie at monroe and that was crappie fishing. but he was 25 pounds. talk about a fun fight on a 10 foot ultralite!

this is a little off topic but i am about to buy a boat and i go to IU. anybody know of a cheap place to store it during the school year? i would love to have it up there. I was thinkin about The Fishin' Shedd but they want over 300 bucks and i don't really have that kinda cash. any suggestions?

6. IU_hoosier_WH

IU_hoosier_WH New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've just started fisihng Monroe for catfish recently, and I have not had any luck. I also heard the story at the baitshop of the 65 pounder being taken from fairfax beach. The people at the baitshop also said that they have caught some at the channel where will sowders goes into the water and at "catfish cove" (turn left at valley mission church and just keep going until you get to the water). I have fished with a friend at will sowders, catfish cove, and at the dam, and haven't caught a thing. Catfish Cove seems like it has all the right conditions(drops offs, stumps, etc), but there are a decent amount of leisure boats and people swimming in the area. We've used tiny bluegill, shad heads, nightcrawlers, and the only bites we are ever getting are from turtles. If anyone has any tips or anything, please let me know. Good luck.

7. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Greetings all from Scottsburg. I just found and signed up to this forum. My Bro. lives close to Monroe and fishes it alot. I've fished my whole life but just recently got into kitty fishin' "on purpose". He catches quite a few flatties and channels using mostly whole large shad and bluegills. We were there last Sat. bluegill fishing. He caught one flattie 6-7# on a bluegill head. I'm only going on what he tells me. You can't argue with success. His biggest so far is a 54#er on 6# test Trilene XL fishing for Crappie. Cool Hunh? He's got pics and everything.
    He said the channels ought to be off of the nest by now with the flatties going on. With all of the rain we've had lately have caused them to act funny so who knows for sure. He told me that there is one thing for sure; if you want to catch big flatheads use BIG lively baits. If you can get the wind in your favor fish shallow flats with the baits a couple of feet below a bobber. A flatheads eyes are high up so they look up, mostly, for their food.
    I cleaned that one he caught Sat. along with the gills and had a fish fry for the family Wed. I must say that the flattie was even better than the bluegill, crappie and bass we caught.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have caught one on Monroe. but have seen some 30# and 40# taken from the Main Tournament Boat Ramp just south of Panetown..

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    By the way, Welcome to the BOC Robert.. its a great site with tons of info... We are glad to have aboard