Monongahelia River 2009 Reports

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by PaJay-p, Jan 3, 2009.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Post 2009 reports here. I just couldn't let the rest of the state start without us.:wink:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    glad you put it up Jay as i was going to if someone else didn't.

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm going to head out for some walleyes in a little while, I'll post a report later.

4. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    me and the wife are hittin a warm water discharge today for whatever bites.(just cant take it anymore) ill let u know 2nite

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I threw everything at em and still got the skunk. The water was moving just a little too fast at the locks. Maybe next weekend I'll get some.

6. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    well i gave my best but came up short. didnt help though i forgot my tackle,the bait shop was closed and it rained like hell.typical of my first outing.....hahahaha:smile2: ill try again the first break in the weather we get and let ya know

7. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Well at least your still out there Jay. Probably pretty lonely. Not many people seem to be fishing right now including me.:confused2:

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Welcome to the BOC Tom.
    What part of the Mon do you fish?

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I know I need to get my ass off the sofa and get out there and at least try to catch something.

10. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    well jay its hard to say one spot,really anywhre from braddock to brownsville but i guess ur most likley to see me between clairiton mill & pigeon creek. how bout u ?

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jay if you know for sure where there are some walleyes get some creek chubs or large shiners (prefer the creek chubs myself) and put them on a carolina rig. guaranteed the biggest walleye you catch out of the river will come on this. good for numbers too. works great when they stack up for the spawn. if you can't stand still then put the chub on a jig head and have at'em. them big eyes want some meat. Tom welcome to the club. i fish the chaleroi and monessen area mainly for cats, but hit the aquatorium and down elizabeth too. always wanted to fish the mouth at pigeon creek but you can't park anywhere down there without getting towed away nowadays. was going to fish around the tressel up in the creek a long time ago when there was that giant log jam in there but they cleaned it out of there and shallowed out that spot to nothing. used to see a guy fish there all the time and he said he always caught bigger flats out of there. maybe i'll see ya out on the river come spring time. good luck to all who are getting out and be careful.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    A'men to that Brian. That's how I like to get them.

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    when i went to the doctors wednesday i saw they had two gates open at the lock in chaleroi and i have never seen the water raging like that before ever. it was crazy, white water was going over the side wall in big waves and you would have needed 10 ounces of lead 100 yards down river to keep your bait pinned. never saw current or waves of white water like that there before and they only had two gates opened.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was down by those barges we fished at to have a look at the river yesterday and it was ragin fast. Looks like a good spot when the water gets high. Those old barges by the docks really break the flow. The fish probably stack up in there.

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they do stack up in there Jay its just really hard to fish there when the water is up as everything gets all mudded up and slick as grease. you would be suprised how good the other one we fish off is when the water is up and ragin'. love fishin' it when the river is like that.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ll be fishin` from Elizabeth to where the Yough meets the Mon as usual but I hope to have the time to do it more often.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i hope you do to Dan. i want to see ya get that " Mon Monster" bro.

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Dan i also was wondering if you have heard from Shawn at all? was wondering how him and his family are.

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    wow is it cold.

20. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Cold doesn't even describe it. :sad2:Went down by the Yough today and it almost froze over just over night.How ya been anyway Brian you got that leg fixed yet? This is a bad time to be nursing a bad wheel.