Monongahela River Rreport for May

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by FLATHEAD LBER, May 20, 2009.

1. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    its may and the flattys should be heating up now so lets do monthly reports instead of a year long report since topics are starting to become lost in the mix. friday night will be the first trip of the year for cats in the boat i got a tank full of gills and suckers and my fingers crossed hopefully this is the year the 50#er gets landed thanks and good luck to all,TEAM 50#ER

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    If theres any 50s comin outta Pa its comin from tha Eastside:wink:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Hate to break your heart but it,s gonna be at least a 60 and it,s coming from western PA.:wink:

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    hate ta burst you bubble but the next record is commin out of berks county again :wink:
    and i hope its by me this weekend :cool2:

5. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wanted to go tonight but no one was up for it.

6. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I wanted to hit it tonite also but no here felt like it either. and I hate going alone sometimes.

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I think one of the eastside guys is gonna break that barrier this year and take the State record and keep it East:wink: maybe a Berks county guy like Lenny or me!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    me and mark went out on my boat last night and fished till about one in the morning,we got 3 fat channels and mark had an absolutley HUGE sucker on one of his rods probably 13 or 14 inches and as big around as a beer can when something took it for a ride the only thing was that it rode right around the anchor rope and we never didi get to see what or how big it was. had to be pretty big to have destroyed the sucker the way it was.mark got a couple pics of the sucker so ill have him post one so you guys can atleast see the aftermath since we werent lucky enough to land it.sun. night will be the next trip for me and TEAM 50#er. Gonna hit my most produtive spot and hope fpr the best

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jesse congrats to you and Mark on the channels. can't wait to see the pics of the sucker. Mark i'm tellin' ya you are due brother to land a true monster this year. good luck buddy. Jesse i hope you get a hog sunday night. good luck to you as well.

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Fridays trip was interesting. Nice night water conditions were perfect had great bait but could only manage a few channels. The mangled sucker came early in the night not on the brute that got snagged in the anchor. The sucker was live and was in the water for a good bit of time. There was no clicks on the baitrunner then all of sudden the line was running downstream under all the other rods went to set hook but all i got was a sucker that looked like it was skinned alive never saw anything like it before.I put on another huge sucker Jesse gets a fish on and my rod starts screaming get the hook set and know it is a monster fight it for a little while fish gets snagged and i get it free then the battle is on again can still feel its brute strength Jesse gets net ready then all of sudden i cant move the fish try to get it free but cant and break it off a little while later we move to another spot and Jesse pulls up my rig on the back anchor:angry::angry::angry:. That fish swam a long way to get in that anchor. Went out last night and managed one 16 pounder.

11. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Forget pics.

Attached Files:

12. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    looks like he hit it broad side, to bad you couldn't see what it was. that's a short fatty you got. i caught a 4lber las night that looked like that he was maybe 13-14 in but real fat like there start to feast!!

13. fisherwoman2012

fisherwoman2012 New Member

State:
    PENNSYLVANIA
    hey any of you guys fish by lock 3?

14. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    went out tonight to my honey hole with TEAM 50#er "justin and jim" mark took the night off to do some bank fishin.went through about 25 gills and had to call it quits by midnight lots of small males around 10 lbs and a couple around 15lb then justin landed the fish of the night and of the year so far a nice 23lb 11oz flatty.all in all we ended up with 11 flattys and 1 fat channel cat upon countless hits and misses great night on the mighty mon.

15. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    had to resize my pics here is the 23lb 11oz flatty justin caught tonight

Attached Files:

16. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    i would recommend taking more bait then you think yuo will need cause it seems like the channels and small male flats are just smackin the bait around alot till its dead and leavin it alone. and you all know how important live bait is to a flatty

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats to you guys for another good night. congrats Justin on a nice fish.

18. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
  19. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Nice fish for Justin there. I should of met up with you guys later in the night. I went to a spot I havent fished for two years. Ten minutes in had a big run on a fresh trout couldnt get the hook into him:angry:. Got a nice run on a rock bass set the hook and the other rod goes off also. I reel in the first rod and its a decent flathead a little over 18 pounds get a couple of pics. Finally get to the other rod and get my first channel 11 pounds wish i would of got some more pics of the channel its head was so swelled up it had lumps all over it.Like you Jesse I had alot of runs with no hookups.

Attached Files:

20. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    the lumps and swelling are a sign of the channel cats getting ready to spawn they will also turn a blueish color..